Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet ANOTHER stripe question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 10:11 AM
MikeFromMass

Default Yet ANOTHER stripe question!

OK, this one is not about which stripe would look best.....

My friend the sign guy said he can get me 9-year vinyl in about 200 colors and do my car with any design I want, no problem, and save me a lot of money. He has all the computer, plotter, cutter equipment to cut any size or shape/design/logo/wording, etc. He's been doing trucks and trailers for years with this stuff and it just lasts and looks great.

Now the question is does this make sense to go this route? I know the kits you buy would have all the cutouts for the license plate/trunk emblem, etc. factored in, but what else would I be missing? Are the main stripes in the kit just straight 10" or 12" stripes or do they have some curve to them that makes them fit just right?

Anyone know the answer to this, or has anyone gone this route with success? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:01 AM
jettaflavor
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Yet ANOTHER stripe question!

Mike -

Let me tell you something.

My car has been in the shop for 3 days now b/c of a stripe install.

The installer himself is a perfectionist, and he was using the Baltimore Street Mods kit. This kit - he stated - was one of THE BEST kits he's ever worked with. Unfortunately, though, he was not happy with the way he installed it, so he ordered me a 2nd kit to "try it again"

You understand? This installer would not even attempt to "reinstall" stripes that were already laid down. He said it would be better to start over with a new kit, for fear of bubbling, peeling, etc...

Overall Mike - if someone who has been installing these kits on Fords for many many years still has "good and bad days", I would be very leary of any "quick and cheap" methods...

Remember - garbage in, garbage out.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Puckhog407
2nd Gear Member

Mike ... my racing stripes from BSM stated that there ARE subtle curves in several pieces because of the shape of the hood and bumpers. These are not flat surfaces and the pieces of 3M have to be tailored in such a way that they lay flat when applied. Just something to condsider there. Good luck with whatever way you go!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:38 PM
DJACKSO
1st Gear Member

Mike,
The Mustang is a very difficult animal to "skin". Mine was done twice! It may look easy but it is not. Exercise caution!
Old 04-13-2007, 03:53 PM
linseaco

Mike--
Another vote for "leave it to the pros." It could be great, or it could be a mess & leave you both dissatisfied and minus a buddy. If a reputable shop messes up, they'll take care of it until it's right and they'll do whatever you say exactly as you ask. Will you friend do that, or will he surprise you with something he "knew you'd love." Take it to a shop. Help the sign guy find more business elsewhere.