Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Terminator or 07 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:32 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Terminator or 07 GT?

ORIGINAL: bored out

I test drove an 07 Mustang GT automatic today and I was not as impressed as I hoped. I had decided to purchase a new stang within a month and figured it was time to drive one. It didn't slam me in my seat! I am hoping that the manual is much better and will drive a stick before I make any decisions but I might have to reconsider. The Cobra Terminator has always interested me. I like the new stangs better than the terminator in every way except performance.

Any of you guys familar with both of these cars that can give me some expert advice on which to purchase. Opinions welcome!!!

Thanks
Well, Doodad will chime in here I'm sure because he got rid of his S197 for a Terminator strictly based on performance. This is a tough one, the interior of the S197 is a big leap forward if you're a big guy, the space is amazing, I found the older models a bit tight in the shoulder and leg space department. The rest is obvious I think.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard the Terminator is uncomfortable to drive. The shifter looks like it is in the worst position ever and it seems as if you would bang your knuckles off the radio it is so close.

The GT I drove today was comfortable and a smooth ride. It sounded great and truly was what I wanted, but if I can't enjoy the performance what is it all worth. I have heard that a CAI, tune and gears really give the S197's a big boost in power. I just don't want to get smoked by any dam ricers!
That is where the differences lie my friend.

Cobra:all thepower, 24 yr old frame design. IRS, but wheel hop, and broken axles are a bad launch away

S197: Good, solidchassis, comfortable, easier to wrench on, nice ride. Lacks hero HPpower, expensive to mod (right now)

Overall Cobra=raw, mercilessperformance
S197=Well rounded, comfortable,everyday musclecar
Sounds like he just wants a carthat he don't get spanked by any ricers

Old 04-15-2007, 01:29 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

I had this decision twice actually, first time i got a mach 1 instead of a new gt. Loved that car responed great to bolt ons, then wanted some more power and manual tranny (mach was auto). Then that car was given to sister, so i had the choice again, ive been in a few new gts and the interior is different not really my style the gauges were cool but seats werent much more comfortable, its was a 5 speed but really wanted 6. The shifter position was a bit better, back seats were just as bad as any other mustang as far as leg room goes. 300 hp felt nice but wasnt what i expected. Went to look at cobra and got it that day, could feel the power difference immediatly and the 6 speed was awesome i also like the clutch it feels like im driving a race car the way it kick back at you and isnt light like a civic or something. Also felt more like a sports car,new gts are huge it felt like i was in a chrystler 300 or something. I love the look and its a great car but terminators are just so fast and the suede seats are great. For the money id get the terminator, forged internals, stock supercharger, 6 speed, suede seats and limited production about 18k made in 03 and 04 so you dont see them everywhere like the new gts. But if you like the new gt get it they look sweet and are a great buy for the price and power
Old 04-15-2007, 01:50 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

If you can find a cobra that isnt beat to **** for under $26k, its a no brainer. Thats the hard part though. Its comparing apples to oranges, a new GT s/c or not just cant compare to a cobra, the potential is disgusting. I looked for months for a cobra before i bought my gt but i just couldnt find one that was under $27,000, and if i did it was a pos.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:56 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

If you can find a cobra that isnt beat to **** for under $26k, its a no brainer. Thats the hard part though. Its comparing apples to oranges, a new GT s/c or not just cant compare to a cobra, the potential is disgusting. I looked for months for a cobra before i bought my gt but i just couldnt find one that was under $27,000, and if i did it was a pos.
thats a good point, many cobras are beat on most the people i see with these cars are 18-25 and drive them hard but there are many clean ones still out there for under 28k with low miles you might have to look around for a while to find a clean one but every once in a while a nice stock one pops up. I found mine just looking around on ebay one night at a friend house. 25k with 6,025 miles on the odometer and only one paint chip. above windsheld where convertable top starts. Today im gonna go with my friend to look at an 04 coupe for 26k that has 10k miles on it (he drove my car and put his mach 1 up for sale a week later), the pics looked like it was strait out of the showroom, cleanest engine ive ever seen. If it is what you want just take your time looking
Old 04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
bored out

Thanks again for the input. I do not know why this decision is so hard to make. here is how I see it

Price = Same
Performance = Terminator
Style = 07 GT
Interior = 07 GT
New car factor = 07 GT
Warranty = -7 GT
Bad *** Factor = Terminator

I guess that i should just drive both before I decide. It would suck to search around for a clean, stock Termie to buy.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

ORIGINAL: Timmay!!!

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard the Terminator is uncomfortable to drive. The shifter looks like it is in the worst position ever and it seems as if you would bang your knuckles off the radio it is so close.

The GT I drove today was comfortable and a smooth ride. It sounded great and truly was what I wanted, but if I can't enjoy the performance what is it all worth. I have heard that a CAI, tune and gears really give the S197's a big boost in power. I just don't want to get smoked by any dam ricers!
That is where the differences lie my friend.

Cobra:all thepower, 24 yr old frame design. IRS, but wheel hop, and broken axles are a bad launch away

S197: Good, solidchassis, comfortable, easier to wrench on, nice ride. Lacks hero HPpower, expensive to mod (right now)

Overall Cobra=raw, mercilessperformance
S197=Well rounded, comfortable,everyday musclecar
[&:]how do you figure that? with a simple pully you can be around 475 rwhp

fully forged motor + bullit proof tranny = terminator

and IMO, both interiors are cheap and cheezy, but if you want luxery buy a fuzion
I say that not because you can make a lot of power for low effort but because after looking at Foxes and SN-95s you'll see a lot of components are easier to access and actually work on(except the upper bellhousing bolts).90% of the suspension components only require a single wrench as compared to most everything else I've ever touched reqs a double wrenching method. But yes, yes I know 500 rwhp on a cobra is only a pulley CAI, and exhaust.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:42 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

^ Keep in mind that test driving an 05-07 isnt going to give you the true feel of the car, because the tune is what really holds the power in these newer Stangs. It doesnt help that you test drove a stock auto... but a tuned auto will slam anyone into their seat and hold them there well into 5th gear... I know, I drive one. Ive never ridden in a SCed s197 but I hear some sick things. Terminators are nice, and the block is great, but if you dont plan to go over 800 hp, you really have no need for it. For 6-7k you can have a 450-475rwhp KB or whipple on an s197. Youll be spanking cobras, plus all the refinement, looks and nice features of the s197. If 475 isnt enough, forge the internals on the s197 and youre good to around 800 hp. Good luck in deciding, and enjoy whatever you get, theyre both sweet cars.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I remember the day I picked up my car (never test drove it, just had to have it) on my way home to NY from NJ on rte 78 I recall saying to myself this aint as fast as I thought it was going to be, then I looked at the speedometer ....105 mph!!. It was faster than it felt in the seat of the pants. A few mods later and at 105 mph I still have one or two gears to go. Like previously stated whatever choice you make you'll be happy, of course you'll always find a reason to say "I should have gotten the other".........Enjoy!!
Old 04-15-2007, 03:28 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I remember the day I picked up my car (never test drove it, just had to have it) on my way home to NY from NJ on rte 78 I recall saying to myself this aint as fast as I thought it was going to be, then I looked at the speedometer ....105 mph!!. It was faster than it felt in the seat of the pants. A few mods later and at 105 mph I still have one or two gears to go. Like previously stated whatever choice you make you'll be happy, of course you'll always find a reason to say "I should have gotten the other".........Enjoy!!
+1

Quick Reply: Terminator or 07 GT?