Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker Hood Scoop Install - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Default Shaker Hood Scoop Install - Please Help

I want to purchase a CDC Shaker hood scoop for my 2006 GT. I would not even try the install myself, however. I have had a tough time trying to find anyone in the Miami-Dade/Broward area that has done this install or even knows about it. I don't want to order it until I have someone that can install it and get a price from them (and also feel comfrotable with their reputation and experience)

Can anyone help or offer advice? (please don't suggest I install it myself - I am completely useless when it comes to any auto work). The web site claims it takes about 4 hours to install and requires a "Medium " level of experience.

If you know of any shop in this area that would do a good job - please let me know.

Also, I remember a thread on the forum that had detailed picures and instructions but the link to the pics is gone. At least with detailed pictures and instructions, I could send to a shop for an estimate.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:03 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker Hood Scoop Install - Please Help

ORIGINAL: stangster06

I want to purchase a CDC Shaker hood scoop for my 2006 GT. I would not even try the install myself, however. I have had a tough time trying to find anyone in the Miami-Dade/Broward area that has done this install or even knows about it. I don't want to order it until I have someone that can install it and get a price from them (and also feel comfrotable with their reputation and experience)

Can anyone help or offer advice? (please don't suggest I install it myself - I am completely useless when it comes to any auto work). The web site claims it takes about 4 hours to install and requires a "Medium " level of experience.

If you know of any shop in this area that would do a good job - please let me know.

Also, I remember a thread on the forum that had detailed picures and instructions but the link to the pics is gone. At least with detailed pictures and instructions, I could send to a shop for an estimate.

Thanks for any help.
CDC does have an instruction sheet on their website for the shaker. Did you see that?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 PM
05RedGT

Hey Will,

I was in the same boat as you with the shaker. I ended up just having my uncle cut my hood and help me do it myself, to save the money, but before I did that, I found this guy James up in pompano, who gave me the best price on an install, in fact he had just done one a week or so before, so he knows what he is talking about. He is a mustang body shop, so give him a call 754-235-1485. Tell him Matt with the 05 red Gt recommended you call him. He quoted me anywhere from 250-300 for the install, which is very reasonable, I think steeda wanted over 400 and so did blow by racing. Good luck

Old 04-16-2007, 06:49 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

My turn to chime in...
You didn't want to hear it, but I must advise that NO ONE will take the time and install it with care as you would. Shops make money by the job and they spend x numbers of hours on a particular job. You can figure out the rest.

To get the Shaker scoop gap even within the upper trim ring (the black plastic ring that's around the scoop on the hood), it takes some time and thought.

It does look like a big job when looking at all the parts and a bit overwhelming, but trust me, not one part of the install is that difficult. And, that's the way you do a mod, one part at a time.

If you're entertaining the thought at doing this at all, let me know and I have some hot tips to share with you.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:05 PM
1mustang05

i was wondering aboutinstalling one of theese also. i was looking at this one http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/V6ShakerKit.htm. they reccomend a body shop for instalation. i have done some bodywork in the past.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Thanks Matt!

I called Steeda in Pompano today and they said they used to havesomeone who did the installs but he left about 2 months ago. Don from Steeda called around for me and came up empty. I live in Miami Lakes so Pompano is a drive for me but I am willing to take the day and get it done. I could just pick it up from Steeda - not have to pay shipping - they have to order it though - they don't have any in stock.

I will call James tomorrow and let you know what happens.

Thanks again for the Help and Reference! Greatly Appeciated.

Thanks all.

ORIGINAL: 05RedGT

Hey Will,

I was in the same boat as you with the shaker. I ended up just having my uncle cut my hood and help me do it myself, to save the money, but before I did that, I found this guy James up in pompano, who gave me the best price on an install, in fact he had just done one a week or so before, so he knows what he is talking about. He is a mustang body shop, so give him a call 754-235-1485. Tell him Matt with the 05 red Gt recommended you call him. He quoted me anywhere from 250-300 for the install, which is very reasonable, I think steeda wanted over 400 and so did blow by racing. Good luck

Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Thanks TacoBill - I hear you but like I said - I have no auto skills at all. Really admire those that do their own mods. I don't want to learn on this car though. Thanks for the tips offer - I'm sure I would want to hear them and would pass them on to whoever does the install - I plan to watch the whole process.

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

My turn to chime in...
You didn't want to hear it, but I must advise that NO ONE will take the time and install it with care as you would. Shops make money by the job and they spend x numbers of hours on a particular job. You can figure out the rest.

To get the Shaker scoop gap even within the upper trim ring (the black plastic ring that's around the scoop on the hood), it takes some time and thought.

It does look like a big job when looking at all the parts and a bit overwhelming, but trust me, not one part of the install is that difficult. And, that's the way you do a mod, one part at a time.

If you're entertaining the thought at doing this at all, let me know and I have some hot tips to share with you.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:37 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Wingman - I'll check those out. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

Here's another reference to pass along to your installer, a Shaker install by Mustang Monthly.

Another tip that deviates from CDC's directions is to tack down the upper trim ring AFTER you locate the Shaker shroud on top of the engine. If you follow CDC's direction, they'll have you permanently stick down the trim ring before install the shroud. Even though the shroud has some side to side play adjustments, it may not be enough to center the scoop within that top ring.

My suggestion.. locate and install the Shaker shroud so the center scoop rib is perfectly centered to the hood centerline. Then, lower the hood and place the trim ring so it has aneven gap all around. Mask it's location, then peel the 3M and stick.

I've seen some Shakers that are not centered or appear to be slightly cocked, when in fact, it's the upper trim ring that's to blame.

This is what I mean by shops just 'throwing' it on.Why should they care ifthe scoop is off center by an 1/8"? Please be there toensure that everything is centered, before they tack things down. Don't be afraid to throw up the red light and ask questions like, "Aren't you supposed to make sure....".

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Mike521
2nd Gear Member

hey guys I have two random questions:

1. can you cover this with one of the "non functional" hood scoops if you like the way they look?
2. if you're thinking about getting this, does it make any sense at all to get a CAI / tune, or should you just save your money and get this instead?

ok here's a 3rd bonus question:

does it void the warranty?

Quick Reply: Shaker Hood Scoop Install - Please Help