Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my O/R H-pipe last night......

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:18 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Installed my O/R H-pipe last night......

ORIGINAL: SonicBlue05GT

you could always put the stock mufflers back on with the O/R H. I tried that and it sounds pretty good. No drone at all and only loud when you stomp on it.
That is another option I've been thinking about. It's worth trying this weekend since the axle backs are so easy to remove and install.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 PM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

Drone city [:@] and loud as hell. Good loud from the rear of the car but bad loud inside the car.

I have the GTA mufflers and before the o/r h-pipe I had no drone at all. Now with the h-pipe I have drone in the 1000-1800rpm band and in the 3000-3500 band. I also have some wicked vibration in the trans tunnel.

I know I have to bend the mounting rods a little because once bolted to the engine they are really tight up against the bushings.

I am not happy at all. What can I do about the drone?
with my setup, the drone was only amplified a little bit. it doesnt bother me at all, and unless i have the windows down and im going through a tunnel, it actually doesnt seem that loud to me. although i let my friend drive the car and he went by me going about 90 and i thought my eardrums were going to pop.

i also had an issue with the hangersand how they were welded on. we had to leave the h pipe in 2 pieces and put the hangers through the holes, the stick the h pipe together. it pulls against the brackets and the pipe is pulled a little up towards the car. this made the overaxle pipes not want to slide into the clamps. i had to get a hammer and hammer the clamp onto the overaxle pipes. actually the tight fit doesnt bother me, because now i know the overaxle pipes arent going to come loose .

the way i got to the top manifold nuts was with an impact, with a long extension, then a swivel, then a deep socket. my friend helped guide the socket onto the nut from the top of the engine bay. it takes a little work but you shouldnt have to cut your stock pipe.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

With my Corsas on the back, I have no drone...but with their straight-through design, it's VERY loud. I haven't found an RPM range where drone kicks in more than stock.

I also had the intense vibration. I will eventully have to bend out the hangers on the h-pipe as they're too far back and they're rubbing the bushing and metal surrounding. This vibrates the crossmember and right into the interior. I "adjusted" it with an old socket and hammer but to do it right, i'll have to take the h-pipe off. Also, I wrapped the hanger with heater hose and zip tied it tight and that seemed to definitely help.

One of the other things I found was that the hanger off the h-pipe was rubbing a bolt and after bending it out, the vibration was gone.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

Quick question. This is my first experience with o/r H-pipe or even a Mustang for that matter, so I'm not sure about the whole "drone" and specific pipe sounds. I have the Pype's o/r H with FRPP GTA'swhich i wanted for the DEEP muscle sound. If I'm at idle and i rev of the engine, at low RPM's it has the nice deep sound i was looking for, but at higher RPM's it has a slight "popping' sound. It isn't raspy sounding though.... I notice it a little while driving as well. Is it the GTA's? Is this normal? Thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 AM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

ORIGINAL: bascho

I am not happy at all. What can I do about the drone?
Put your factory catted H back on. Or, get some ear muffs.

The O/H isn't for everyone... that's a fact. I for one, love it. [sm=smiley20.gif]

TacoBill...I heard some of your YouTube clips of your o/r H and Stingers. Do you still have that setup? Sounded awesome from your garage and when you launched.

I was about to order the H from Brenspeed...but now I'm concerned. I have FRPP stingers...they drone a little, but not bad at all. I want it loud outside, but not THATloud inside. Would I be better with Hi-flow cats and the H?

Some buddies have long tubes and an o/r X with stingers. I personally think that setup sounds like garbage...sooooo raspy! In my opinion, simply not a muscle car sound.

How about Long tubes and an H? Havent really heard this setup.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

I was Flowmaster muffler with O/R H-pipe but it was too loud for my taste (im old). I swapped out the Flows for the stock mufflers and man I have to say its perfect! Slightly louder at idle than stock and wakes up nicely when you mash the throttle ...
Old 04-18-2007, 11:57 AM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

I also had the intense vibration. I will eventully have to bend out the hangers on the h-pipe as they're too far back and they're rubbing the bushing and metal surrounding. This vibrates the crossmember and right into the interior. I "adjusted" it with an old socket and hammer but to do it right, i'll have to take the h-pipe off. Also, I wrapped the hanger with heater hose and zip tied it tight and that seemed to definitely help.

One of the other things I found was that the hanger off the h-pipe was rubbing a bolt and after bending it out, the vibration was gone.
That is exactly the issue I am having. I have vibration through the trans tunnel all the time.......I think this exaggerates the drone vibrations. I'm also convinced I have a manifold leak because of how tight the hanger isagainst the bushing bracket. I have far too much exhaust smell coming through the vents.....and it just sounds like I have too much noise coming from the firewall.

Unfortunately I'll have to live with in until Sat.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Foose12

Quick question. This is my first experience with o/r H-pipe or even a Mustang for that matter, so I'm not sure about the whole "drone" and specific pipe sounds. I have the Pype's o/r H with FRPP GTA'swhich i wanted for the DEEP muscle sound. If I'm at idle and i rev of the engine, at low RPM's it has the nice deep sound i was looking for, but at higher RPM's it has a slight "popping' sound. It isn't raspy sounding though.... I notice it a little while driving as well. Is it the GTA's? Is this normal? Thanks!
You have the exact same set-up that I have. From the drivers seat at WOT from 1500-3500rpms it sounds like "flapping" (sorry, hard to describe sounds). Once above 3500 is sounds really nice and at idle and just off idle it sounds amazing (nice deep grumble).

Now, from the back of the carit sounds really mean IMO.

Do you have the drone from hell just off start-up? When the idle is dropping slowly from 1500-1000rpms? The drone is so bad it vibrates my interior as if I had 15's in the trunk.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MustangEsq

TacoBill...I heard some of your YouTube clips of your o/r H and Stingers. Do you still have that setup? Sounded awesome from your garage and when you launched.

I was about to order the H from Brenspeed...but now I'm concerned. I have FRPP stingers...they drone a little, but not bad at all. I want it loud outside, but not THATloud inside. Would I be better with Hi-flow cats and the H?

Some buddies have long tubes and an o/r X with stingers. I personally think that setup sounds like garbage...sooooo raspy! In my opinion, simply not a muscle car sound.

How about Long tubes and an H? Havent really heard this setup.
Dave, yes, still running the O/R-H and Stinger combo. To ME, I love this combo.. it's raw and pure! However, it's also raw, pure, and loud inside! Maybe because it's not my daily that I can tolerate it... if it was, I might have a different take on it.

But, everytime I stand back and look at my Mustang, I expect it to sound exactly the way it does.. menacing! [sm=lildevil.gif]
Old 04-18-2007, 01:40 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

I was getting a headache inducing droning from my off-road x-pipe, and it turned out to be the hanger in contact with the bracket on the car. I bent the pipe back so it wasn't in contact, and it cleared the drone issue up completely. Just loud and awesome.

Quick Reply: Installed my O/R H-pipe last night......