Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:09 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

It sounds like you need to invest a couple of hundred dollars into suspension modifications.

Mine would shutter on gravel and had wheel hop when the suspension was stock. I had the lower control arms replaced with Steeda tubular lower control arms and haven't experienced either since.

It has a little more road noise and the ride is slightly stiffer. That's a small price to pay for fixing both of those problems.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Drop Top 06
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?

As soon as you "divorce" her and see her with another man, you'll get this empty feeling in the pit of your stomach...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:16 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

you may also want to connect the frame with k members to strengthen the sub frame. I have heard nothing but good things about them. You will need to weld but sounds like that is not a problem
Old 04-18-2007, 08:30 PM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

everyonce in awhile I hit a turn hard and I hit a bump at the same time. my rear end jumps because of the solid axle and my heart skips a beat. I love it!
Old 04-18-2007, 09:50 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Hmmmmm only 1500 km, huh? That's only a little over 900 miles(for us state-side). When I first bought my '06 GT(had just traded in an '05 GT-both are coupes btw), it felt really slippery compared to my '05(18" BFGs on '06, 17"Pirellis on '05), but after 2-3K miles(now has 8K) the tires broke in and the suspension settled down and the car feels much more capable than my '05. Remember Ford builds all their cars with a little "push" as to give the driver a warning to back-off(so the novice won't kill themselves and sue the hell of the Blue Oval), most manufacturers do the same as well, this is why there's an aftermarket waiting to sell hundreds of goodies to those that want/need more. Yes the new S197s are a bit rattly(I think it's due the the fact that the car is built in sub-groups and when the interior goes in, sometimes things are too tight and as the car loosens up, remember it's a uni-body, things will vibrate and make all those horrible and annoying noises we S197 owners have come to loathe), I'm sure Ford's aware and most likely the '09 update will probably address this. Gotta remember too, Ford had to cut weight where ever possible, the S197 is very big compared to the '79-'04 cars butonly weighs a couple hundred more than the car it replaced(New Edge). The metal on the body is very thin, the hood's aluminum and the insulation isn't great. What does this translate to? A harsher experience and more road noise while driving, something had to give, or the Mustang would weigh like what a Mercedes SL weighs(about 4100lb) and that's a 2 seat roadster! I love my GT to death and compared to other modes of transportation I've endured, this one's fantastic IMO........
Old 04-18-2007, 09:53 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

the strut bar was a waste of money, it wont do anything the average driver would notice on his average car. if u want it to handle more like a lotus, which is what u make it sound u are expecting, spend a good 1500 or so on suspension work (springs, shocks, k-bar)and get yourself some bigger and wider wheels too. u bought a car with a rear live axle, what did u expect?

in fact, i have to say, i owned a 2000 mustang and this one kicks the **** out of it handling wise. at least the tail on this one breaks loose and then catches if u tap the breaks. on my old one the front end would break loose in sharp turns instead. curb checked on multiple occasions with the 2000. this one is silly how awesome it is to tear through a corner like ur some kind of drifting maniac.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:18 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

u bought a car with a rear live axle, what did u expect?
Reread my original post. I am not some punk who has never driven/owned a sports car (or Mustang) before.What did I expect?Maybe too much. To my 44 year old mind, the ride of my 95 GT convertible felt more comfortable and stable.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

turn the TCS off, and then try it again. see if its different.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:37 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: alumacomp

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

u bought a car with a rear live axle, what did u expect?
Reread my original post. I am not some punk who has never driven/owned a sports car (or Mustang) before.What did I expect?Maybe too much. To my 44 year old mind, the ride of my 95 GT convertible felt more comfortable and stable.
my appologies, i didnt mean to come off as a jerk.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:38 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Hmmmm...over 3,000 miles here and I can't wait for great weather to go topless...no problems or bad feeling on this end....love that thing...yeah! .[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: My 06 Mustang GT Convertible - time to end this love/hate relationship?