Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 qts covers a GT oil change right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 04:11 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 6 qts covers a GT oil change right?

Put in every drop you can till it is FULL. I know i'm a lot harder on mine than most guys, but I know 2 guys that have spun bearings due to oil loss at the track. One was at 22,000 miles and the other wasn't much more
Old 04-21-2007, 07:23 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

6 qts for me. You need to let the oil drain back down after starting to check it correctly. You don't want to over fill it.

Anyone have a problem with their oil filter leaking? I think I over tightened mine last time so i back it off a half turn. I've always just hand tightened mine on previous cars with no problems. Maybe i'm getting stronger.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:59 AM
05GTFirefighter

My mechanic (brother-in-law) who is a certified mechanic put 6 qt. in started it then let it sit. He then had to add about a 1/2 qt. oil was just touching the dip stick and after adding the 1/2 qt. it showed full. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong (so don't bust my *****) just telling you what i put in my Stang.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:01 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

6 qts for me. You need to let the oil drain back down after starting to check it correctly. You don't want to over fill it.

Anyone have a problem with their oil filter leaking? I think I over tightened mine last time so i back it off a half turn. I've always just hand tightened mine on previous cars with no problems. Maybe i'm getting stronger.

Exactly...........

See post #4

Do the oil and filter change, add 6 quarts of the recomended oil. Run the car and check for leaks. Let the car set for about 5 min or so and it will readcorrectly on the Full mark on your dip stick.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:09 PM
07GTEddy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05GTFirefighter

My mechanic (brother-in-law) who is a certified mechanic put 6 qt. in started it then let it sit. He then had to add about a 1/2 qt. oil was just touching the dip stick and after adding the 1/2 qt. it showed full. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong (so don't bust my *****) just telling you what i put in my Stang.

No problem,

Certified here to, 30 years, I guess some stangs maybe different? I even let the pan drain till its just a drip. Still 6 quarts puts it on the full mark. Also did on my last stang i had. I guess since there is some difference in the cars, just keep adding till you dipstick on your car reads full. By all means , add what ever is nessesary to make your car right. Dont leave the level low.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:43 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

6 for mine too, also over filling is not a good thing, it doesn't have to be at the very top to be safe or better performing. To much oil can put more pressure and can leak out of seals, just follow what your manual says and call it good. If you do like to put alot more oil in your car, ?? , then i would replace your oil cap with a breather filter, and it looks nice.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:19 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I once had a n engine leak out a seal because I filled it to the full mark everytimje... Now I fill it under the full mark, since officially anything 'between the dots' is ok.

My oil change was done at a hot temp, and I let it drain till it could drip no more... 6 quarts put me back to the middle of the two dots on the dipstick.

I think i'll leave it, or maybe just add a quick few ounces or so.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2oo5stang

6 for mine too, also over filling is not a good thing, it doesn't have to be at the very top to be safe or better performing. To much oil can put more pressure and can leak out of seals, just follow what your manual says and call it good. If you do like to put alot more oil in your car, ?? , then i would replace your oil cap with a breather filter, and it looks nice.
+1...it can lead to bubbles in the oil also which will cause your motor to run hot
Old 04-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Warlok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

But is the goal here to reach the top line? Im under the impression you want to be in the middle... Too little is bad, while too much is bad because of possible leaks.

What are we aiming for?
6 quarts
Old 04-22-2007, 02:02 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vista_Blue_GT

ORIGINAL: 2oo5stang

+1...it can lead to bubbles in the oil also which will cause your motor to run hot
Also, by adding more than the recommended amount, the oil level will be above the windage tray. The purpose of the windage tray is to keep oil from being aerated. This allows the crank to spin without the added drag of the oil wrapping itself around the crank. The biggest enemy to power inside the oil pan is windage and overfilling the oil defeatsthe windage tray'sdesigned purpose. The tray keeps the oil in the sump from getting into the rotating assemblyand wrapping around the crank like a rope. The parasiticloss from windage can be as much as 15 to20 HP at 6000 rpm. So you can probably expect a 7 to 10 HP loss in typical (for Mustang owners) driving applications just from overfilling the oil.

So, 6 qts is all you need.

Quick Reply: 6 qts covers a GT oil change right?