Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang-0, Beach-1

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:28 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default Mustang-0, Beach-1

Alright, so I took the Stang for a drive on the beach and was sitting there and goosed it a little too much and buried it to the frame. The rear end, gas tank, exhaust pipes, all the rear suspension, and most of the tires were sunk. I tried digging it out but ended up being towed out by beach patrol. Just wondering if any of the rear suspension could have been damaged by being buried or any of the front from being pulled out?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:37 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang-0, Beach-1

You gotta be careful with a rear wheel drive car that weighs 3500lbs when you're on the beach. I don't dare try it myself, but i'd like to get some pictures on the beach.

I never had to worry about my front wheel drive car, just kept turning the wheel side to side and it eventually dug itself out.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:41 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Were you gently accelerating while the beach patrol pulled you out or just in neutral?
Either way, I'd kinda be inclined to take in and have it checked out.
Or just drive it really mellow the next couple days and see how it goes.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:51 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I hear ya there man.. I had never driven on the beach before, so I figured Id give it a go, it sounded like fun. Sat still for like 15 seconds while I was looking for something in the center console, then hit the gas and she didnt move. I just laughed and got out of the car. Not sure why it got stuck, whether it was the power or if it was the sand condition, or maybe both.

I would love to take it back one morning when the conditions are right and get some nice pictures @ sunrise. Definately will be more aware next time I do though.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:53 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I was gently accelerating. I was told to let them pull me forward a tad then slightly push the gas, so thats what I did. As soon as they pulled me forward enough for the weight to get back on the wheels, the tires grabbed and I pushed my way out.

And yeah, I thought about taking it in, but if something is damaged then I was thinking they might not replace it, because they would view that as neglegent or abuse or something, which wouldnt be covered under warranty. I could see having to pay to replace something if I was actually messing around, but I just had some bad luck and got stuck.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:14 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

I was gently accelerating. I was told to let them pull me forward a tad then slightly push the gas, so thats what I did. As soon as they pulled me forward enough for the weight to get back on the wheels, the tires grabbed and I pushed my way out.
That's the way to do it.
If the pull was pretty straight-forward and gentle (if such a thing can be gentle) you should be ok.
And yeah you got a point about the warranty issue - you could always tell em you were trying to re-enact the beach racing scene from Days of Thunder. Muhahaha.
Just drive it like granny for a couple days and see if anything pops up (or off)
If something does go wrong that should give you enough time to get the sand outta the *** and come up with some kinda plausible explaination.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:23 PM
2oo5stang
3rd Gear Member

it's not hard at all to spin in the sand with a stang, had it done to me once back in panama city fl, sucked, but some guys helped push me out. I avoid anything like that.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:25 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Oh dude that blows!!!! I wont lie, I had to chuckle when I read that!! lol Im sorry, Im not laughing at you but with you, I promise!!

I would DEFINATELY take it in and look at it. If that sand got in your rearend, you could certainly start developing some major problems!!! Better to be safe than sorry!!!

Hope everything is ok. At least now you will know not to mess with the beach
Old 04-21-2007, 09:43 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks guys and Stowe lol. I laughed when it happened too... nothing else I could do ya know? Wouldnt have helped to get all pissed off or upset. Sometimes ya just gotta laugh at yourself and deal with things as they come along, thats part of life I guess... stuff happens lol. And yeah.. like I said, Id never driven on the beach before so I didnt know what I should expect and it just caught me off guard. Next time Ill definately be more careful.

I definately washed all the sand off and looked for dents and dings in the suspension parts and it all looked "normal" ... or at least what I thought was "normal" lol. It doesnt seem to be making any wierd noises, except my ebrake or something plastic in the center of the car seems to be rattling a little more than it used to. She has to go in for a service here in a little while, so Ill probably just take it easy for awhile and have them check everything out then.. unless of course something drops off before then lol. I was more worried about the suspension than the rear end, cause that should be sealed from dirt and water.... (or so Id think), whereas the suspension was all buried and Im wondering if dirt could have gotten in the bushings or joints or whatever?
Old 04-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

Geez, sand in your rear end? Thats gotta hurt!

Quick Reply: Mustang-0, Beach-1