Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 AM
RANDY SANDOW

Default Dead battery

After reading about people's dead batteries, I, too had a dead battery about 2 times in the last month. What are all your tthoughts on this? I never leave accessories on.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Thurman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dead battery

If you don't use the car all of the time, I reccomend a battery tender.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Mine too. I had one go badthe month after getting it new. Load test showed it bad and dealer put in a new one. Recently was off for 3 days and slow starting. Dealer didn't find any TSB's. But there is too much drawing voltage with it off. Make sure if you have a Shaker it is off before turning key off. Did read that was a trouble. The only fix I heard of is the battery Tender that was mentioned. If you don't start it everyday I guess it's the way to go.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:47 PM
Foose12
2nd Gear Member

Make sure you have anything plugged in inside...like a phone charger, ipod charger, etc... if you plug something in to charge, even when you turn the car off and leave it, it is still charging. Which also is draining your battery. If not that, check your battery posts to make sure they are tight and secure...
Old 04-22-2007, 03:59 PM
ford4lyf

i have had the same problem my battery died and i tried to jump start it and it started but the car shut off. I thought it was the alternator because it shut off once it was on but when i took it to ford they said it was just the battery. It was pretty wierd and that was the second time i have to change the battery.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:03 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Some folks get really upset because they refuse to buy a tender or charger. I understand why, but until Ford comes up with a TSB...all you can do is tow it to the dealer, have the dealer check the battery or trade-in your stang. I was on a two week trip and the battery died at day 4...I had asked the spouse to crank it up every other day, but she forgot.I got me a charger...charged the battery to 100% and when I connected the battery back up...the radio was on...dang it, I thought I had turned it off. I have been on a couple of trips (short 3-4 days)....and it has started right up. Currently, I am on a 12-day trip and this time Iensured NOTHING was on. As a matter of fact, I turned that radio off at least 30 mins prior to turning the car off on my way home. Also, told the spouse NOT to crank it up and see what happens. We'll see.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:22 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

hey tpony. do you have the shaker 1000 also? i always turn mine off when ipark the car and have never had a dead battery yet, but it onlys sits about a week at a time.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:46 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Does anyone else see a problem here?? I mean come on, the answer HAS to be better than "buy a battery tender", or "what do you expect if you leave the car sitting for 4 days", or "make sure you turn off the radio". It's a ridiculous problem that Ford is ignoring. I had a 71 Challenger in the mid 90's, that I would basically ignore for 6 months and pump the gas a few times, Vroom, start right up. FF 10 years, in a brand new car, and I can't leave it for 4 days??? Retarded!!!
Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 AM
ajaibr
2nd Gear Member

This is the weirdest problem i've heard of! I've had cars that I've left sitting for months! I've left my GT for up to 3 weeks and it never even thought twice about it. Do you have some aftermarket electronics of some sort attached? Something has gotta be draining it I would think. If you have an ammeter and know how to use it and the dealer can't find a problem, start checking amperage draw when you shut the car off.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:58 AM
dmtGT05
1st Gear Member

I have an 05 GT with the shaker 1k and havent had any problems with the battery (knock on wood).. the radio is left on all the time... but mine is a daily driver so that could explain it.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Dead battery