Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked - Mustang Kept Accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 AM
elburrito99
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wrecked - Gas Pedal Got Stuck

Sorry to hear about the car, but it's good that nobody was hurt.

One thing I don't get. I thought the front brakes more than overpower the acceleration force generated by the rear tires??? I thought this was the case for just about any car on the road (I know it was true for all the cars driven by me and my buddies back in high school ). Isn't this why you can keep a foot on the brake, floor the gas, and keep your Mustang sitting still while you burn through your rear tires?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Sometimes things happen so fast anyway that you forget to just shut her off. Sorry about the car and hope it isn't to much to fix. Yes the power brakes would not work but still would have stopped the car. Then still something else could have happened to the car any way...I think power steering doesn't work as well or at all either.
ORIGINAL: Arwing

ORIGINAL: JayFi

Yeah I've been beating myself up about not bumping it up to neutral - just happened to fast.

Turning it off is an interesting thought, but would've killed the power brakes, no?

As far as the e-brake is concerned, I don't think it would've cut it.
yeah, i know what you mean. you don't really have time to think. Ok...hmm..what should i do here? you just go with your instincts, which was to slam on the brakes, to bad it didn't work..oh well, at least you're ok.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:07 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure. That may well be the case when you're at a standstill... but in that scenario you don't really have any forward momentum like you do when your accelerating down the road.

The car did slow a bit when I pushed on the brakes, but it was also still trying to accelerate since the throttle was stuck. It was VERY strange. Combine that with me running out of road ahead, and well, there you have it.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:11 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Sometimes things happen so fast anyway that you forget to just shut her off. Sorry about the car and hope it isn't to much to fix. Yes the power brakes would not work but still would have stopped the car. Then still something else could have happened to the car any way...I think power steering doesn't work as well or at all either.
ORIGINAL: Arwing

Yeah I've been beating myself up about not bumping it up to neutral - just happened to fast.

Turning it off is an interesting thought, but would've killed the power brakes, no?

As far as the e-brake is concerned, I don't think it would've cut it.
yeah, i know what you mean. you don't really have time to think. Ok...hmm..what should i do here? you just go with your instincts, which was to slam on the brakes, to bad it didn't work..oh well, at least you're ok.
Thanks man. You know worst case I'm just out my deductible. It could've been alot worse.

Shutting the power steering down would've been a bad thing in this case. But in a straight line it would've made a lot of sense.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:13 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Hey no problem-just glad you are ok and the car can be fixed! Sucks either way I know!
Old 04-23-2007, 04:22 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I dont want to get flamed...

But when a car 'surges' for no reason, and theres no physical reason like a floormat getting stuck, it can very well be a problem with the electronics/computer.

And you have a tune installed...

*hint hint*

Ok, I could be wrong - most likely.

But that, in my opinion, could be screaming warranty issues.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:34 AM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

I dont want to get flamed...

But when a car 'surges' for no reason, and theres no physical reason like a floormat getting stuck, it can very well be a problem with the electronics/computer.

And you have a tune installed...

*hint hint*

Ok, I could be wrong - most likely.

But that, in my opinion, could be screaming warranty issues.
I hear what you're saying - a dealer may try to blame it on the tune.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:15 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The brakes will still work, atleast for a while.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Dang, sorry to hear about this one...and thanks for letting us know about Koons Fords....I'm in Alexandria.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:17 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

hey the dealer fixed mine before anything else happened, they were rather hushed about it though, they replaced the throttle body, when i told them my pedal was stickin constantly, i didnt think of puttin it in neutral either lol.

Quick Reply: Wrecked - Mustang Kept Accelerating