Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang & snow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang & snow?

Just be sensible, snow tires are a good idea, add some sandbags/weight in the trunk, and you will be fine.[sm=signs003.gif][sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 04-24-2007, 02:13 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

Drove my stock Gt all winter in the snow. Just be sure to get the traction control and you will be fine. It is standard on the GT and I beleieve an option on the V6. As long as you have common sense and are a decient driver you will be fine.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Puddle356
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06GTGIRL

Hi, I can help you out a little bit here! I live in SD and last year was the first winter with my mustang and I drove it as often as I could in the snow. It wasn't too bad driving, but not real great either, but when it got too deep I had to park it. I don't have snow tires on though, so that might have helped. We get ALOT of snow. Heres a picture for you to ponder. I didn't get to drive for a few days until I dug it out of the 26 inches of snow we got!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/53435/CA7801687E64484E9ACCEBAEC5EDC355.jpg[/IMG]
haha, if that car could have a facial expression, I think it would be similiar to what a cat would look like if you threw it into a bathtub full of water. anyway, yeah sandbags help a ton. I put around 200lbs in last winter and I was getting around better than any front wheel drive car could.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

dude i live near you..i live in trenton..and i drive me car all the time in the snow..its not that bad...just drive slow and carefully and you will be fine...just never accelerate too hard.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:46 PM
ajc
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the speedy replies, I feel somewhat better now that I will be able to get around in the winter months. I just wanted to say Mustang owners are very responsive and helpful, looking forward to be a Mustang owner and talking with you guys.

Thanks,
AJC
Old 04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
feejay
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajc

I am thinking about purchasing a 07 GT or V6 and wanted to know if any members use their Mustang all year? I live in Philly and we get some snow but not much, will the Mustang with the stock all season tires / traction control get me through 1 - 3 inches of snow if I need to?
I would wholeheartedly recommend a set of snow tires. I got a set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks on steel rims for this past winter here in Buffalo, NY and they were great! I dont have TCS or ABS on my Mustang but with the Blizzaks I had no problems starting or stopping on snow, ice, or anything in between.

If you are planning on upgrading your wheels, keep the stock rims and get a good set of snows mounted to save wear and tear on your rims from mounting and umounting tires.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 PM
ajc
1st Gear Member

My sister lives in Mercer County and you guys get a little more snow than I do here in Philly. How do you like you Mustang? Any problems?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 PM
tedBalog
2nd Gear Member

I live in NE Ohio, I have to agree with whomever said getting OUT of the snow is the hardest part. My car wasn't that bad in the snow, it was getting out of my driveway that was hard, then getting started on the unplowed road I live on. You really just have to do the same with all winter driving.. Be careful, be cautious, and don't be stupid! Take her easy and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:57 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

Yes you can drive it in the snow like any other car. But you can also wreck it like any other car or truck in the snow. Its how you drive that will determine how you do in the snow.
+1. My V6 went all winter (I live in Edmonton Alberta, so I saw plenty of snow) and it did a good enough job with the stock Pirelli's and TCS on. About two months into the winter I took it around a corner too fast and slid into a guard rail, but after that I eased up on my acceleration a little bit and it made it through the rest of the winter just fine.

The stock Pirelli's are performance all-season tires, so they're decent, but nothing amazing. A set of snow tires (and cheap rims to get nicked and whatever by road debris) would definitely be a good investment though. Also, sandbags or whatever in the trunk might help. I didn't bother with snow tires or weight in the trunk and it was still fine, but those would probably give you some benefit. And I assume a GT would be a little trickier to deal with in bad road conditions given the extra power and torque, but if you drive it very "lightly" it would probably still be fine.

Just go slow enough, brake early, and keep lots of distance between you and everyone else and a Mustang is fine for the winter. Not spectacular, but still decent. (It's awesome for doing doughnuts and sliding around on purpose when it's snowy out, though. Very, very fun with the RWD.)
Old 04-24-2007, 06:38 PM
Weed Racer
1st Gear Member

Upstate New York here.

I put 4 Blizzaks on stock steel rims and got around fine all year long.

Turn the traction control off until you get underway and you'll be fine too.

People freaked out when I bought the car...kept asking me what I was going to do when it snowed. You would have thought I showed up for work on a surfboard. I told them I was going to drive carefully, what else?

For 80 years we drove rear wheel drive cars in the winter. What's the big deal?

The right tires and the right mindset, and you'll be all set.

Studded snows are legal here for certain months, but the noise is murder.

Quick Reply: Mustang & snow?