Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint rims and spoiler??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
hwalker091
1st Gear Member

Default paint rims and spoiler??

i need you opinion. do you think that i sould paint my rims and spoiler.
here are pics of what it looks like NOW:

and i got some guys at the chop shop to show me what it WOULD look like:

so you think i should do it or not? and does anyone have any experience at this kind of thing and can give me some pointers?? thanks a lot.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:49 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Default RE: paint rims and spoiler??

Might be cheaper to buy a spoiler. I would also take of the side mustang logo DECALif it were my car.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PROMETHEUS PRIME

Might be cheaper to buy a spoiler. I would also take of the side mustang logo if it were my car.
+1.

Everyone knows it's a Mustang, no need to say it.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

+1 for painting rear spoiler(or trading for a satin black one), but I'd add a CDC V-6 chin spoiler instead of painting the rims(satin black to match the rear spoiler).......and yes, get rid of those cheesy side stripes!
Old 04-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Jokeurmnd
2nd Gear Member

do you have a price to get the rims painted???i want to do that as well
Old 04-24-2007, 11:03 PM
hwalker091
1st Gear Member

well i dont think that it would be cheaper to buy a satin black spoiler, i was gunna paint it myself, just unscrew it from inside the trunk and buy a can of spray paint, sand it down a little and put on a couple coats, same with the wheels. so total cost if i use one can would be like 20 bucks for sandpaper and spraypaint. so its not a cost issue. what other reason besides cost would i have to buy a whole new spoiler? is it possible to take the side stripe off myself, i kinda like it tho. and yea a chin spoiler would be tight, thats on my list for the future...and hey 05gtdriver, you dont think i should paint the rims? why not?? thanks for your help. i have to wait till the weather gets better, then i think im gunna go for unless someone changes my mind between now and the weekend. ill post pics of the final product.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:52 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't paint the spoiler & wheels with a spray can, you're gonna be touching them up all the time[&o].
You need special paint for both(to make them last and look great). I'd really suggest you get some quotes from local body shops, wheel refurbishing shops, while I sense you'd care to do it on the cheap(we all want that), your poor car will suffer in the long run. A paint can won't solve your desires IMO.
Your wheels will have to be stripped, painted, baked &clear-coated, your spoiler with need lots of sanding of the surface(to get it super smooth) and a properly prepared satin black paint(with flexing agents so your paint won't crack over time). Although ultimately, it's your car and your right to do as you please. Hope this sheds some light. Btw, your wheels would look great black.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:09 AM
hwalker091
1st Gear Member

my dad does this kind of stuff all the time. he had an old stang when he was younger and painted both wheels and spoiler. he has some good paint specially for cars. so well sand it up and put a few coats on then clearcoat it oursleves. ive talked to a lot of people on the forum who have done this the same way themselves and have had no problems with chipping etc. my question is not that we can do it or that it will last long, im asking if it will look good. and its not that im trying to "do it on the cheap" trust me i have plenty of money, have a porshe cayanne, porshe cayman, mercedes SL600, then my stang. i simply want to do it myself and not do it the lazy way and have someone else do it for me.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:30 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you can't afford it, I meant that most of us(me included) like to DIY it and yes, sometimes it doesn't make sense to spend ridiculous money for things that are easy to do. I wasn't aware of the technical expertise that you have regarding this question.
My answer still stands, your wheels will chip if not properly painted/baked/cleared, a better solution would be to have them powder-coated. If you have access to the appropriate paints, then by all means, knock yourself out. Yes, all the changes you suggest will look nice on your car.
One question, if you have two Porsches and a Benz, why do you have a V-6 Mustang? Wouldn't a Shelby GT500 make more sense considering your taste for expensive cars? Just asking
Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 AM
hwalker091
1st Gear Member

no worries. haha well im only 16. and dont want to mooch off of my parents so i got a job and bought this car myself and everything that ive done to it so far, and plan on doing in the future, ive paid for with my own money. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2122417/4 <----- this guy painted his own wheels and spoiler. thanks for your help, im planning on doing the spoiler this weekend, if that goes well the wheels are soon to follow. and since i defanitley dont want anything chipping ill call up a friend that works at an auto body shop and get his opinion.

Quick Reply: paint rims and spoiler??