Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rattle at 3k rpm /// where the hell is the heat shield on a 2006 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

Default rattle at 3k rpm /// where the hell is the heat shield on a 2006 GT?

ok, i'm getting some rattling, and people are telling me it's from the heat shield. no, i don't have an intake, and no, it's not that heat shield anyway. is their one by the headers/cats? if ANYONE could give me a pic of the heat shield, so i can tighten it, i would owe you big time. i have a 2006 GT...

any pics would help...and if you can tell me how to tighten it/get to it, that'd be great! i googled this topic and got zip...

EDIT: here is the only thing i could find that anyone else has posted about this:
http://www.m0dularf0rds.com/forums/2...rpm-52591.html (change the first two 0's to o's)
Old 04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: where the hell is the heat shield on a 2006 GT?

There are two heat sheilds (1 on each side) on the floorpanjust above where the cats are (if you still have some). Check out Taco Bill's H-pipe install thread for pics.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

ok, if you look at this article, you will see numerous shots of the heat shields. they're above the cats. you can't miss them! my absolute random eyeball guess is that the nut you need to tighten is 13mm.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html
Old 04-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Well, Thereare none on your cats. But there are a few attatched to the underbelly of the car surrounding the exhaust. I have been all under there and never paid attention to how they were installed. I can say I bent the ends around the help reach the cat. sensor connector plug and never thought of them to be able to rattle. They were attached very tight and bent easly but I never thought of one to be able to rattle.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:40 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rlgva

Well, Thereare none on your cats. But there are a few attatched to the underbelly of the car surrounding the exhaust. I have been all under there and never paid attention to how they were installed. I can say I bent the ends around the help reach the cat. sensor connector plug and never thought of them to be able to rattle. They were attached very tight and bent easly but I never thought of one to be able to rattle.
well my problem is this. i have a bad rattle coming from the front of the car at 3k rpm in 2nd and 3rd gear mostly. it is metallic, coming from the front of the car, and NOT from the shifter (like the TSB that's out). so my guess is the front heat shields...

also, nice link above....but i am an idiot when it comes to mechanical stuff. i can change my oil, install a CAI, and that's about it. can someone circle the heat sheilds in a pic for me?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar.../photo_07.html

are those the heat sheilds??
Old 04-26-2007, 03:42 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Those are the shields but that is not your rattling. I have the same rattling at the same RPM but if you bang on the shields they dont budge at all. There has been talk about the rattle being from the transmission crossmember but i banged the hell out of that too and nothing. It might be the overaxle pipes banging around but no way to test it as you have to be actually moving and not just revving the engine. If you can figure out the cause please let us know because many of us have the metallic clanging noise!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's 10mm.

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

ok, if you look at this article, you will see numerous shots of the heat shields. they're above the cats. you can't miss them! my absolute random eyeball guess is that the nut you need to tighten is 13mm.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techar...ers/index.html
Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Heat shields! Is that for re-entry?
Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

yup, they are the "dimpled" dull foil lookingpieces of metal between the cats/exhaust and the underbelly of your car. although i'm not certain what would be rattling . . .

Quick Reply: rattle at 3k rpm /// where the hell is the heat shield on a 2006 GT?