Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle lag

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:06 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Throttle lag

If you have the "canned" SCT tune it should take care of most of the lag but when you get a B ama or Brenspeed it is no longer there at all. I am not sure you are understanding the throttle lag.

Most commonly in an auto, when you hit the accelerator there is a lag...the car doesnt respond immediately. Very small delay of up to 1 second maybe. With the tune you dont have to push all the way down on the accelerator either. The "drive-by-wire" is not near what the old system wire a physical throttle wire was like. You essentially can push the accelerator down 1/3 the way and get very hard acceleration. The remaining 2/3 might not gain much. Get back to us with some better info on what you are experiencing.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:57 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

To be honest it was only after seeing references to throttle lag from others which stirred my interest. Being brought up onCarburettors, I'm well used to driving around flat spots and the like so a little throttle lag is almost an old friend to me.
All I can say is that the throttle doesn't seem to have a linear response across it's throw. The part of the movement which suffers the most is the middle of the throw where resposnse is quite numb. It's not a big problem, like I say, it was only after reading that others had already fixed it that made my ears ***** up.
What hammers me more is the software module which keeps the revs elevated for a split second after you let off the gas causing a slow return to idle. I'm still trying to adjust my [sedate] driving style to stop that from giving me some driveline chatter during slow shifting. Hard shifting isn't a worry of course.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:43 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

OK good to know. The "hanging" rpms is a result of the Spanish oak processor and drive by wire system. The same applies with the non linear response. Like I stated, there is no cable anymore which takes that linear response away. The car is designed to be more gas efficient, hence the hanging rpms. Getting a tune pretty much fixes both of your observed details.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 PM
PONYRAGE
1st Gear Member

Good info
Old 04-28-2007, 01:54 PM
gtrips01
I ♥ Acer

+1
ORIGINAL: PONYRAGE

Good info
Old 04-28-2007, 03:30 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

Hi Guys.
Just wondering about the GTthrottle lag I'm reading about on some threads. I have noticed that there exsists a small no-mans-land in the throttle travel, is this what you're referring to?
Is that easily tuned out?
Thanks
Marcus
Strange, I hit the gas and I hear a funny blower type sound, no lag though.

J/K
Old 04-28-2007, 03:31 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

OK good to know. The "hanging" rpms is a result of the Spanish oak processor and drive by wire system. The same applies with the non linear response. Like I stated, there is no cable anymore which takes that linear response away. The car is designed to be more gas efficient, hence the hanging rpms. Getting a tune pretty much fixes both of your observed details.
My '04 Acura TL had drive by wire, same exact thing only in the MT version is was much worse than ours, revs stuck around forever. I think Ford did a better job than Honda.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:04 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Drop Top 06

Marcus,

Send a PM to GTNewbie... he'll be happy to tell you about the FRPP pack and how great the warranty is... I never heard him address the throttle lag in any of his posts...

Actually, I did describe the change in throttle-lag in a long "update" thread about 2 months ago (you must have missed it?).
Definitely less lag after the tune (especially dropping down into a passing gear)- but it's not "completely" gone, and I was told that it was impossible to safely eliminate it "totally".
On the other hand, if I don't put it in "drive" but rather in 1st, 2nd & (to a lesser extent) 3rd and stomp on the gas- it literally snaps my head back without any lag whatsoever!

I've also heard that other tunes give the "impression" of no more lag because the pedal response is just different- by which I mean that response is much more immediate till it's about halfway depressed, but rhen there's very little response if you punch it further (read about this on several posts but have no first-hand experience).

Yeah, I sleep like a baby at night with my fully-intact 3 year warranty tucked safely under my pillow.....
Old 04-28-2007, 05:32 PM
gtrips01
I ♥ Acer

It is under your pillow? Why is that? I got this car and do not keep it (the warranty) under my pillow. Should I do this? Thank you - I am now concerned.

ORIGINAL: GT Newbie

ORIGINAL: Drop Top 06

Marcus,

Send a PM to GTNewbie... he'll be happy to tell you about the FRPP pack and how great the warranty is... I never heard him address the throttle lag in any of his posts...

Actually, I did describe the change in throttle-lag in a long "update" thread about 2 months ago (you must have missed it?).
Definitely less lag after the tune (especially dropping down into a passing gear)- but it's not "completely" gone, and I was told that it was impossible to safely eliminate it "totally".
On the other hand, if I don't put it in "drive" but rather in 1st, 2nd & (to a lesser extent) 3rd and stomp on the gas- it literally snaps my head back without any lag whatsoever!

I've also heard that other tunes give the "impression" of no more lag because the pedal response is just different- by which I mean that response is much more immediate till it's about halfway depressed, but rhen there's very little response if you punch it further (read about this on several posts but have no first-hand experience).

Yeah, I sleep like a baby at night with my fully-intact 3 year warranty tucked safely under my pillow.....
Old 04-28-2007, 05:40 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the info, howarmat.

Quick Reply: Throttle lag