Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch probs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch probs...

Having trouble shifting in '05 GT. At 7500 miles, bought car at 5000 miles.

When I start the car up its hard to get into reverse. I have to force it in. Noticeably. (Seems like it goes into forward gears fine)

While driving its hard to switch out of higher gears, like 3 4 and 5. I have to sort of force it out.

Today I parked in 1st and I like to leave in neutral, but it would not come out of first. Well, probably if I really forced it, but it would not with the light force I tried. I turned the car off and could then put it easily down into neutral...

Oddly enough, a certain drive yesterday most shifts felt soft as butter.

Based on these symptons. any ideas?

(Yes, I am pushing clutch in all of the way, and no it is not popping out of gear on its own ever)

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 12:17 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch probs...

B before i kill myself
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 AM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Has it always been like that or is this a recent thing?
How does the clutch pedal feel? Is it engaging at about the same point?
Check your brake fluid level as well (and if low top it off and check for leaks).
Old 04-29-2007, 01:43 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Thanks for your response...

It did not feel like this when I bought it. In fact it shifted great. That was only a month ago maybe. I DID do a tranny fluid change this week to synthetic, and now the prob feels worse, but it was there before and had gradually been getting worse. Feeling worse now probably just coincedence with new fluid, since it has been getting worse.

Clutch seems to 'grab' just fine and kicks into gear strong as always. Its just that getting the shift **** into some gears and out of some gears is the prob, and must be forced considerably sometimes.

Edit: brake/clutch resovoir is full to the max mark, no leaks anywhere...
Old 04-29-2007, 03:29 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I went on a test drive tonight to see how it was doing... It SEEMS like if I hold the clutch in for a secod before I go to shift then the shift is smooth... But if i just push the clutch down then right away try to shift it feels stuck.

Same thing happened when I started the car and tried to go into reverse. It wouldnt go into reverse. I waited, with the clutch still pressed, then tried again and it slid right in.

Eh?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 AM
blike
2nd Gear Member

I've been noticing the same thing with my 2005 GT lately. My reverse is hard to get into, it either goes in right away, or will take 30 seconds of clutch, 2nd, reverse, clutch, 2nd, reverse, etc. It also seems hard to get my car out of 2nd/3rd gear when my car is cold and I am going on an up or downhill. Let me know if you figure anything out, I'm interested.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:44 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

My suggestion is to get a new short throw shifter....either the steeda tri-ax or the new MGW both are great and they shift with only 2 fingers through every gear inc reverse... here is a link http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang2005_shifter.shtml This maybe the problem with the shifter as opposed to the clutch! JMO J there are other threads on what you are talking about!

Check out the vids at the bottom of the link! Great stuff
Old 04-29-2007, 03:52 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Theres other threads? I've searched the site several times and google for that matter... any help would be appreciated.

And yes, i do want a short shifter... sometime in the future...

but this prob bothers me like a bad sign of something
Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Its on this site but the search function sucks from time to time! If I can find it I will email it to you!
Old 04-29-2007, 04:26 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

HmMMMMMM brb ill try searching as many variables as i can think of relating to this... I can find things on clutches slipping, but thats reverse of our probs. The clutch grabs fine and strong, it just doesnt want to go in in the first place or come out. Ill search now

Quick Reply: Clutch probs...