Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the h*ll?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Default What the h*ll?

So yesterday I'm driving home from a car show a couple counties away. Just before I get on the interstate I notice my engine is overheating. I limp into an Ace Hardware parking lot and discover that I have a leak somewhere as my engine bay is completely covered in anti-freeze. (I also have a fine white mist spread all over the outside of the car I just finished detailing.) I buy some pre-mixed stuff and as I'm pouring it in I can see that my lower radiator hose is the culprit. It doesn't have a leak, it's completely off. Reaching downI discover that the hose clamp is sloppy loose. I have to remove the hose to get the faulty clampoff (thus dumping the remaining antifreeze onto my hands and the ground below.) It's then that I notice that this clamp has NEVER been holding my hose on. There is a little detent thing thats holding the clamp wide open. (Presumeably to aid assembly.) After buying 2 pairs of pliers I'm able to twist the clamp enough so that the detent releases the clamp and it shrinks down to a workable size that flexes like a hose clamp should.

I have 21K miles on this car and that hose finally let go? Damn good thing I wasn't in the middle of Timbuktu somewhere. Ticked me off big time though. I had to buy 2 pairs of pliers, replacement anti-freeze, a hose clamp and shop towels. Plus I had to work under a car that was only held up with the jack since there is no way to get to the hose adequately from the topside.

Roadside assistance??? Yeah right. They were a waste of time too.

Not a good weekend. Scalded and beat up hands from working on a hot car. And a 6 year old son who learned a few more words than he wanted to hear.

Take a look at your lower radiator hoses. If someone was too lazy to assemble mine correctly, they may have done the same for yours.

There. I feel a little better now.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

Default RE: What the h*ll?

That blows. your car was probably built on a monday am!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Wow that sucks,but it's hard to imagine it taking 21,000 miles to pop off if it wasn't properly tightened.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

Wow that sucks,but it's hard to imagine it taking 21,000 miles to pop off if it wasn't properly tightened.
I agree. But there is no way that clamp could have worked it's way into the "locked" position after the fact.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:45 PM
roothog69
1st Gear Member

Ford Quality Job 1. It's a good thing you were able to solve this in a timely manner. I know if it would have happened to my car with my girlfriend driving the situation would have resulted in a melt-down. She wouldn't have noticed the temp gauge rising or even the steam coming out from the engine bay, she's completly oblivious...Odd that it took 21K miles to come loose.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:15 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

Roadside Assistance really does suck. I had a flat once and I didnt have a deep wall socket for my new wheels so I called em up and told em where I was. The Galleria in St. Louis. Biggest freakin mall here; EVERYONE knows the Galleria. Tow truck driver says he doesnt know how to get there. Lazy POS. I just left it in a parking lot and came back the next day. Sorry that they didnt help you out either.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Wow. Good point though. I need to throw that socket and wrench in the glove box for my new wheels as well.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Is your car an 06?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2cokeman

Is your car an 06?
Yes. Why? Is this a known condition?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:45 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have heard of a few!! I have seen it in a few forums!!