Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost to paint side scoops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:21 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default cost to paint side scoops?

hey guys.. just wondering is it better to order side scoops and pay 170 extra to have them painted b4 they ship.. or get them unpainted for 114 and have a local shop paint them?..

whats does it normally cost for such a small job, and would it match perfectly?.. i assume they buy the paint from ford
Old 05-03-2007, 02:07 AM
kthulhu
1st Gear Member

Default RE: cost to paint side scoops?

My local Ford dealer will paint just about any part you can carry in your hands for about $150. Make a few calls around; most places will be bale to give a pretty good idea of what it'll cost you for the paint. I felt better going directly with a dealership because I knew the paint was going to match (and if it didn't, the guys were right there to gripe to...)
Old 05-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Hmm...This makes me wonder...

Anyone know if the side scoops/window scoops are plastic, fiberglass, SMC, what?

See, I've got a paint gun, and I know where I can get color matched paint at an auto body store...I'm getting ready to paint a '74 Corvette, so priming & painting the scoops for me would be good practice before I paint the car. And if I goof it up, I figure I could always strip it off and start over...
Old 05-03-2007, 02:59 AM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I had mine done for $80... of course, I just spent $7,500 having my Road Runner painted at the same shop the year before, so...
Old 05-03-2007, 01:50 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

how hard do u think it would be or what kind of quality if i did it myself..

i have acces to compressor and gun.. but never tried anything like this.. if i bought the paint and did it.. is it hard.. and like what about clear coats?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:57 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

i have acces to compressor and gun.. but never tried anything like this.. if i bought the paint and did it.. is it hard.. and like what about clear coats?

I painted the passenger side mirror on my Buick. I got rattle can auto paint and clear coat. It turned out great. Something to consider on a small project.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:27 PM
brandon97
1st Gear Member

What side scoops are you looking at and from where? I have been looking for some time now, but can't pull the trigger....I just ordered a Roush Hood Scoop, but want to make sure the side scoop matches up pretty well.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:20 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

Unless you know primer, basecoat and clear coat, I wouldn't try it. Can be tricky.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

Unless you know primer, basecoat and clear coat, I wouldn't try it. Can be tricky.
ya thats what im thinking..

and about the side scoops.. the only ones that i like really.. are the xenon ones.. that actually kind of wrap up and extend to the wheel well.. they look awesome.. and are acutally cheeper then some of te others like on the GT CS.

but im at the point where i dont know if up to 300 is worth it for two plastic/fiberglass pieces just for looks.. although it would look bad *ss..

i would rather probably get a tuner.. but then im putin 45-50 in my tank instead of 35 bc i will be burning 93 octane
Old 05-03-2007, 03:31 PM
The_Third
2nd Gear Member

my girlfriend got me louvers for my birthday but the paint didn't match at all once I held them up to the car. They've been sitting in my trunk for months

Quick Reply: cost to paint side scoops?