Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is A Tune Manditory

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:43 AM
bubble730

Default RE: Is A Tune Manditory

I've installed a K&N CAI last week and didn't have to tune. It run great but after reading here maybe a tune is needed.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:47 AM
MI Stang

I have to admit I dont know squat about engines etc. This is my first Mustang & I love it! After reading posts on here for a couple of weeks I am very curious about a Tune & CAI. I love the idea of making the car even faster ( yep I am catching the bug everyone here has ). Is this the first step, should I read & learn more here? How much will I be looking at to get this done. I will probaby take in the next meeting that a Mustang club has here in my state & can pick their brains & learn more as well.

Your thoughts.....
Old 05-05-2007, 12:52 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Diablo and SCT are the 2 top devices but there is no really advantage with either one. The device doesnt matter, its the tuner (brenspeed, B ama etc) that writes the tune that matters. Check with you local dyno shop to see what they prefer.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:04 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Some have had warranty concerns with adding a tune. I know that the dealer has to prove that the parts added caused the defect, but I think some have not tuned because of that issue. I have the Granatelli CAI that comes with the MAF module that allows you to not tune the car to get a boost in HP. I did notice quite a difference but am now thinking of getting a tune just to maximize the CAI gains.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sprzout

Speaking of tunes and tuners...

Has anyone had experience with the Diablosport tuners? I'm just curious as to how they compare to the SCT Xcal2's...Seems just about every intake/tune combo out there has the SCT tuner.
i got the diablosport...and cant say there is anything wrong with it

but if i had to do it all over again i would have gotten the intake+tune combo from b a m a c h i p s...i just got the intake from him and got i tuner from someone else because it was 50 bucks cheaper
Old 05-06-2007, 05:01 AM
superslow
2nd Gear Member

Default tune question

i no alot about cars, but i am used to my 92 5.0. i could just slap on a cai and be done. i have a 2006 gt and wanna run a cai (thinking BBK but not sure) and i know i have to tune it (thinking of either diablo or x2 tuners) but people are tellin me to get either a bama tune or a brenspeed tune. is this where they just custom tune my car for me? does it make a big difference? would a cai and tuner like diablo or xcal2 work or do i need a custom tune?

If a cai and tune (without custom tune) work, how hard is it to tune your own car with a xcal2 or diablo????
Old 05-06-2007, 11:58 AM
orange S197GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gman13

Some have had warranty concerns with adding a tune. I know that the dealer has to prove that the parts added caused the defect, but I think some have not tuned because of that issue. I have the Granatelli CAI that comes with the MAF module that allows you to not tune the car to get a boost in HP. I did notice quite a difference but am now thinking of getting a tune just to maximize the CAI gains.

Warranty issues would be my exact concern. That's why something that doesn't require a tune is appealing. I would like to do something to get a bit more throttle response but I'm reluctant to commit to a tune that's going to make me use premium fuel. Call me cheap, but I'm kind of enjoying being able to use 87 octane for a change.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but is there any mods that can be done to the stock air box (remove baffles or screen before MAF) or just installing a K&N drop in that will give me some improvement?
Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

your cheap

You can get a tune for any octane you want (87,89,91,92,93). So that is not a legit excuse.

You cant improve the factory airbox and expect any gains.

The "canned" tunes that come with the SCT or Diablo are crap. The tunes from B amachips or Brenspeed will take you car to another level. So yeah there is a hell of a lot of difference.

You cant really gain any HP without adding a CAI that doesnt have a tune unless you use the Granatelli since it does allow for the higher air flow.

If you really want more HP (25-28), then you have to get a CAI/Tune. Tuneless CAIs are maybe good for half that as they increase airflow a little but cant too much since you arent getting a new tune. The computer wont like it otherwise.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

It cost money to go fast
Old 05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
JudgeThis05
1st Gear Member

even on a stone stock car a tune is worthwhile to dial in the AFR, and to wring real power out of it.

i know the TM on the automatics is rediculous. For example a GTOer dynoed 23more HP on a stone stock car w/ just a tune.

Quick Reply: Is A Tune Manditory