Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mufflers

Old 05-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

Default Mufflers

Been debating about what kind of mufflers to go with, and as stated here, sound clips just don't seem to sound right, as opposed to hearing them in person.I visited the Flowmaster site, and picked up on an address for aMidas Mufflernear me that was a Flowmaster Dealer. After a short conversation with a manager, he told me $250 installed for a 40 series. Hmmmm...not bad, but then the conversation turned to, well if you have dual exhaust, then it's $250 per side. What? First thing I told them was it's a GT...um...dual exhaust...YA THINK? Then he told me that if I purchased the mufflers on line, he would install them for $120 each. @$60 an hour for labor, would it really take 4 hours to install two mufflers? He did tell me they needed to be welded on, but still, for a pro shop, that seems like2-1/2 hrs more than needed. Have'nt looked under the car yet, but are the stock mufflers welded on? I'm thinking about getting the M-5230 GTA's, and installing them myself, but if the stock mufflers are welded on, won't they be a PIA to cut off, and then the pipe would be too short? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Mufflers

yea dude....most people say with the GTAs though that there is not much difference but i'm pretty sure there is. There is non way in hell it would take them 4 hours and they do not need to be welded unless they are the 40 series that are not made for your car. Hence, they would have to weld the hangers on. I would reccomend just getting the GTAs and stay away from shops like meineke unless you're getting certain specific welding done.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

i ordered loud mouths for 300 bucks and had a shop near me put em in for 80 bucks, it took about 45 min. they did a little bit of welding to the hangers because they were not sitting right.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

Dude It should take them about an hour, I just had super 44s put on mine and it took them an hour at $55 dollars an hour. Make sure you do some research and get the right mufflers for your mustang. When I first bought mine I went to shop like you did, not knowing anything and they put some toyota truck 40 series flows on my mustang, About a month ago I started on this forum and found out i had the wrong ones on and they were killing my engine. The new mustangs are a lot differnet then most cars with the mufflers being way in the back, theres a lot of pressure being built up between the headers and the muffler. therefore if theres mufflers on there that were designed for a different vehicle your not gettig enough flow through the muffler which creates a dangorous amount of back pressure. Just wanted to let you know so you dont make the same mistake I did. Go with the Ameican Thunder series by flowmaster (great on the new mustangs) or the super 44 series like I did. My 2 cents.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:04 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

There is NO reason that you schouldn't install them yourself. Get the lowest price you can find on the web. IF you schould have install issues or maybe a bad fit, then seek a muffler shop to finish it up.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:08 AM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

I put the FRPP GT (Borla) Stingers on mine, there is only 4 bolts and a clamp to install, it took me less than an hour by myself to install them both laying on the garage floor (if you had a lift it would go much faster)...check out ebay for a deal and install them yourself...minimal tools required. I paid $375 for my GT's on ebay.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:26 AM
Grabber72
1st Gear Member

Ijust installed the SLP loudmouths today, 305 bucks shipped. They sound freakin mean. Sounds like an old 60s musclecar. Save your money and do it yourself. It requires only basic handtools and a little patience to align. Took me about 1.5 hours to do. Well worth the money and effort.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

I installed Pypes "Violators" sound great, $199 delivered and under an hour to install with basic hand tools.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

I just had aJBA axleback put on mine and took20 minutes at the local garage, $20. Granted it was V6 but the duals would be half an hour or so. Sure you can get regular mufflers and screw around with welding, fitting etc. to make them work or get the premade axlebacks and put them right on. Up to you.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys. I was'nt going to have it done at Midas, but that was part of my research. They are only 2 miles from me so I figured I'd just go check on cost. The research I did online at the Flowmaster site gave me the proper number for mufflers to fit the Mustang, but the manager at Midas claimed because of the thickness of the short pipe coming out of the mufflers, they would have to be slipped on and the welded to the pipe. My other concern is as stated here, I don't want to spend the money for mufflers that are barely louder or meaner sounding than stock, but I don;t want to be obnoxious either. *Disclaimer: no offense to those who like it super loud! LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mufflers