Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light without a code. What gives?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:18 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine Light without a code. What gives?

I searched the forums and found some interseting info concerning my check engine light. I plugged in my scanner and found no codes. I tried to erase any codes as well and the light remains on. About two months ago I added a BBK CAI. I did not get the tuner. The BBK instructions claim that there is a possibility that a code could kick up. They recommend you use higher octane fuel to remedy the code. I filled up with 93 and so far nothing. I read in one of the posts that I searched that the S197 has an advanced PCu that doesn't respond to older OB II scanners. Is this the case? The Owners manual states to check the gas cap. I have and still no loss of the engine light. Car is running superb. Short of taking it to the dealer is there anything anyone can recommend? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Light without a code. What gives?

I think in some cases it can take awhile for the light to clear. I had a throttle body issue and after it was fixed (replaced the whole thing) the light stayed on for about a week (dealership said this was normal).
Old 05-07-2007, 06:57 AM
bomb79
1st Gear Member

those lights are for emisssions related problems .if its on theres something wrong if you clear it yourself with a scanner and it returns after a certian number of cycles (ignition on and off) then the problem hasnt been resolved.your car is obd2 so it should read any code .
Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

I have had codes clear on their own and the light stay on. More than likely it's getting a little lean once in a while. If you're going to do anything else to it, invest in a tuner. If you take it to the dealer, be sure to put the stock intake back on first.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bomb79

those lights are for emisssions related problems .if its on theres something wrong if you clear it yourself with a scanner and it returns after a certian number of cycles (ignition on and off) then the problem hasnt been resolved.your car is obd2 so it should read any code .
Well , thats not totally true. You get an engine light for many things besides emissions. For example if your speedometer suffers some sort of fault it will display an engine light. My problem is I can't pull a code with my OBD II scanner. Again I read an old post from my search that stated Ford had switched to a CAN type of OBDII. This will be mandatory in 2008, and they had just gotten ahead of the mandatory date. It also stated that older OBDII scanners won't work. So I'm wondering if this is whats happening in my case. I would think a lean condition would toss a code. It has doe so on my 97 F150 which is also OBDII.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the S197s use the CAN (Controller Area Network) protocol. Maybe you need to investigate whether your scanner is compliant. If not, then you may be able to upgrade your scanner software depending onthe capability of your particular scanner. If upgrading isn't possible, then you maybe forced to buy a CAN compliant scanner which will be mandatory forall 2008+ vehicles.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: bodyputtyless

I searched the forums and found some interseting info concerning my check engine light. I plugged in my scanner and found no codes. I tried to erase any codes as well and the light remains on. About two months ago I added a BBK CAI. I did not get the tuner. The BBK instructions claim that there is a possibility that a code could kick up. They recommend you use higher octane fuel to remedy the code. I filled up with 93 and so far nothing. I read in one of the posts that I searched that the S197 has an advanced PCu that doesn't respond to older OB II scanners. Is this the case? The Owners manual states to check the gas cap. I have and still no loss of the engine light. Car is running superb. Short of taking it to the dealer is there anything anyone can recommend? Thanks.
Silly but basic question. Is yoru scanner compatible with your car? I have a scanner that can read up to 2005 cars. My wife's Escape is 06. It will plug in but gets an error when reading a few of the sensor status'. It's possible your scanner recognizes the car but not the standard that it's being given. Like Lees07GT pointed out, you may need to upgrade the scanner software or buy a new one.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Silly but basic question. Is yoru scanner compatible with your car? I have a scanner that can read up to 2005 cars. My wife's Escape is 06. It will plug in but gets an error when reading a few of the sensor status'. It's possible your scanner recognizes the car but not the standard that it's being given. Like Lees07GT pointed out, you may need to upgrade the scanner software or buy a new one.
Not silly question at all. I had no idea there was a pending scanner change. Never heard of CAN. And yes, my scanner is not CAN ready. Nor does it have the ability to update. So I'm guessing I have three options. Buy a new scanner and pay the $149 to find out that its running lean due to the BBK CAI. Two, buy a tune and pay another $350 with the possibility of having even more codes jump up. Three, remove the CAI ,sell it, and go back to stock. I only went with the CAI because it dresses up the engine compartment. BBK stated that no tune was needed. (However, you may toss codes. Their remedy is to raise octane). What I don't get is how the thing ran fine without any codes for three months. Then all of a sudden theres to much air. I'm leaning to the care free days of "stock".
Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Not silly question at all. I had no idea there was a pending scanner change. Never heard of CAN. And yes, my scanner is not CAN ready. Nor does it have the ability to update. So I'm guessing I have three options. Buy a new scanner and pay the $149 to find out that its running lean due to the BBK CAI. Two, buy a tune and pay another $350 with the possibility of having even more codes jump up. Three, remove the CAI ,sell it, and go back to stock. I only went with the CAI because it dresses up the engine compartment. BBK stated that no tune was needed. (However, you may toss codes. Their remedy is to raise octane). What I don't get is how the thing ran fine without any codes for three months. Then all of a sudden theres to much air. I'm leaning to the care free days of "stock".
I'd opt for the new scanner first. It will always come in handy when working on your car and you may find that your problem is not even related to the CAI. You could also go to autozone first and see if their scanner gets a reading. If it does then you know it's scanner incompatiblity, if not, then you may have another problem in which case I'd go to the dealer.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:52 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

I'd opt for the new scanner first. It will always come in handy when working on your car and you may find that your problem is not even related to the CAI. You could also go to autozone first and see if their scanner gets a reading. If it does then you know it's scanner incompatiblity, if not, then you may have another problem in which case I'd go to the dealer.
First off, let me say thanks to everyone who has helped out. I called Autozone and they weren't to sure of what I was talking about. Advanced Auto stated that they didn't have any of these type scanners and weren't expecting any until another 6 months. I can get them off the internet anywhere from $99 to $149. I'm wondering if I take it to the dealer in the mean time if I'll catch hell if it turns out to be something they can hang on the CAI? BTW...will a gas cap code go away by itself or does it have to be cleared as well? I don't believe I didn't have the cap on correctly, but everytime I put in gas putting the cap on seems awkward.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Light without a code. What gives?