Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opening Hood for Cool Down a Good Idea?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Opening Hood for Cool Down a Good Idea?

HMmmmmm! A fiberglass Saleen heat extractor hood.............you just got my attention.
Where can I get one,
Haney Motorsports and Underground Mustang. Both Sponsors.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:34 AM
TRYMY4.0
2nd Gear Member

Actually (didn't read everyone else's post) the Saleen hood does not have ANY heat extractors. I bought one from a collision shop next door for 25 bucks...yea i kno..kick *** deal right? lol. Anyways, The chrome vents were not in it, so I decided to cut open a $800 dollar hood. I cut the sections out where the vents would be on the Saleen and mount mesh to the bottom of it to actually extract the heat. Also, when my No2 kit comes in, my Dual purge will be out of each vent for a pretty sick effect...

all in all after all that bs i just said...it is not a bad idea to open ur hood.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:40 AM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

According to Ford, the S-197 was purposely designed to cool down very slowly. We have an aluminum block, NOT an iron one, and aluminum is FAR more sensitive to rapid cooling than its iron counterpart. Ford has done numerous studies showing it is far better to let it cool slowly than quickly, less chance of microscopic cracks etc. appearing in the block which will cause loss of power. If I can find the article that quotes the lead engineer saying this, I will post it, but believe me, this was done on purpose. Same as it taking forever for the revs to drop...makes it easier for newbies to shift manually, meaning less wear and tear on the clutch and on the engine, etc. Purposefully designed that way.

Perhaps these ideas aren't the best from a performance standpoint, but for reliability among the masses, particularly since most people are idiots, it's a great idea.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:52 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

particularly since most people are idiots, it's a great idea.
[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif][sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

So why did Ford put a cast iron engine in the V6?
After a drive I don't open my hood, but I let the front end cool down before I put my car cover back on.
I honestly don't think the designers meant for us to open the hood up every time we drive to cool down. Maybe after a loooooong cruise or something, but just for around town I don't see it.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:25 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Seems pointless to open the hood to cool down your hot engine. I do it at the track for performance sake only. But if your looking for an excuse to get a hood thats different... go for it.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
imyy4u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

So why did Ford put a cast iron engine in the V6?
After a drive I don't open my hood, but I let the front end cool down before I put my car cover back on.
I honestly don't think the designers meant for us to open the hood up every time we drive to cool down. Maybe after a loooooong cruise or something, but just for around town I don't see it.
because for the v6 they didn't give a crap about weight savings...that's why. however that has nothing to do with my point.

the point is, they designed the engine to cool down slowly in order to prevent cracks from cooling too quicly since it's an aluminum block.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Hmm...I don't know that I'd really want to use a heat extracting hood.

Believe it or not, your motor can actually be suffering loss of power from loss of heat. NASCAR guys use duct tape to control the amount of airflow over the engine, thus making the car run hotter. This is a known fact for most circle racers and oval racers.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mot...ascar_knowhow/
Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imyy4u

According to Ford, the S-197 was purposely designed to cool down very slowly. We have an aluminum block, NOT an iron one, and aluminum is FAR more sensitive to rapid cooling than its iron counterpart. Ford has done numerous studies showing it is far better to let it cool slowly than quickly, less chance of microscopic cracks etc. appearing in the block which will cause loss of power.

The effect of a faster cool down from popping my hood when it's 80 degrees (or hotter!) outside is not nearly as drastic as just parking your car outside in sub-zero winter temperatures with the hood closed.
If your theory was correct, then our engine blocks would be subject to hairline cracks merely by parking these cars outside in ice-cold weather!
Just doesn't make much sense if you think about it..........
Old 05-07-2007, 09:55 PM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

I only raise the hood after doing a session at the track. Its like opening the lid of an oven.

Quick Reply: Opening Hood for Cool Down a Good Idea?