Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are the stripes cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:49 PM
M1chael Myers21

Default why are the stripes cracking?

today i saw a tiny crack on one of the stripes andi felt completely disappointed. i was wondering if it was caused by the heat of the sun or if it was not properly taken care of. they are the factory stripes and i'm afraid that if i don't do anything about it, will it just keep making a bigger mark?
also,am iable to peel this factory tape off andreplace it with a new one without hurting the paint, right? i saw some stripes at pep boys and maybe i can replace them...
Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: why are the stripes cracking?

Because they are VINYL and not painted...

Sorry, I couldn't resist. If you want something to last - get them painted on.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:58 PM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

I have been told that too much sun will dry out and crack vinyl stripes. I use Aerospace 303 protectant on mine, and they are still looking like new. I have flat black which is more prone to drying and cracking too. If you get yours redone, I would recommend getting a bottle and using it on the next set. You can pick it up at most boating suply stores.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 PM
M1chael Myers21

what's the difference between vinyl and factory? anyway, it's really disappointing to know that the stripes will not last now. the car belongs to my bf and i'm just trying to help him take care of it. well, the deal is that i'm more into the exterior than he is. he says as long as the engine works, the car is fine. but what about the exterior of it? don't get mewrong but i love his car and just like the old saying a diamond is a girl's best friend, well, the mustang is my 2nd or 3rd best friend. i dunno. how much will it cost to get it painted?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:41 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

You can still stop more from forming...

Try tire shine/protectant, works wonders, or just plain vinyl protectant. You can make them like new again (just with cracks this time)

Stock ones are vinyl, thats his point. Vinyl stinks.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I wish my girlfriend would pay to paint my car!!!! Wait, i'm married! That could be awkward.

ORIGINAL: M1chael Myers21

what's the difference between vinyl and factory? anyway, it's really disappointing to know that the stripes will not last now. the car belongs to my bf and i'm just trying to help him take care of it. well, the deal is that i'm more into the exterior than he is. he says as long as the engine works, the car is fine. but what about the exterior of it? don't get mewrong but i love his car and just like the old saying a diamond is a girl's best friend, well, the mustang is my 2nd or 3rd best friend. i dunno. how much will it cost to get it painted?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:48 PM
M1chael Myers21

hey moosestang, that's the exact kind of car my bf has except it's not a GT. same color but with silver stripes. i don't mind paying for the paint job depending how much it costs. ur from volusia county?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:58 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Its not cheap... I'll guess $500.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 AM
M1chael Myers21

aww geez! well, i love both my babies and $500...so i can't make that sacrifice. gonna have to buy some cleaning tools to just take care of it. i went to the car wash today and the one of the washers told me that i can get the stripes cleaned for $30. i mean to take the dirt, rusts, and pollen off. better deal, i guess but i'm just so worried about the crack. well, i can't wait when there's more crack in the summer. ugh!!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:15 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I would try the Aerospace 303 Protectant.Sounds likeit is a very useful product.....it can be used on several different things not just vinyl. I plan on stopping by a local Boat Dealer to purchase some. I want to use it on our boat as well as the stripes on my Stang.

Quick Reply: why are the stripes cracking?