Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom vs. Canned Tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:50 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default Custom vs. Canned Tune

I just bought a Diablo tuner off a fellow MustangForum member. It already has a canned tune for my C&L Intake, but I was wondering what is the difference in the canned tune and say a custom tune I'd order from B a m a chips. How much more power would I expect from a B a m a tune, would the difference be noticable or worth it?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:07 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Custom vs. Canned Tune

I would definetly go with B ama chips...!!! I just ordered a tune and I am hoping for the best. I have heard that a tune from B ama will REALLY open up an automatic (such as mine)... so if I were you, I would download a tune off of D oug's site and load it on to the hand held tuner you already have. I dont know how much more hp you will get. But, in general, he uses a totally different torque converter schedule as well as tuning all the parts you have on the car. Maybe I shouldnt talk so much before I even have my car tuned by B ama, but majority of the people on the forums like their B ama tunes...
Old 05-16-2007, 12:08 PM
tonkpils555666sas
4th Gear Member

Also, read this... one guy in there said he had a bad experience with B ama... probably just bad luck.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3218522/tm.htm
Old 05-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

People will tell you there is a difference, but I'd like to see back-to-back dyno proof showing the custom tuner is better than Diablosport's "canned" tune with just an intake. I don't see how there could be much difference in a manual transmission application. You're air/fuel mix is either on or it's not.

In an auto, there are other parameters that may make it worth while to call b-a-m-a or another tuner.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:06 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Getaway

People will tell you there is a difference, but I'd like to see back-to-back dyno proof showing the custom tuner is better than Diablosport's "canned" tune with just an intake. I don't see how there could be much difference in a manual transmission application. You're air/fuel mix is either on or it's not.

In an auto, there are other parameters that may make it worth while to call b-a-m-a or another tuner.
This is exactly what I've been thinking.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:30 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

There is much more to a tune then just air/fuel ratio and shift points (for the auto). Anything you do yourself such as a bama or brenspeed tune i consider a canned tune. A custom tune is going on a dyno, and fine tuning EXACTLY to your car, these are the best way to go as no 2 cars are exactly the same.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:45 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

Agreed, but people often consider vendors like b-ama and brenspeed "custom", the handheld manufacturer "canned", and a "dyno tune" something seperate. I think it's because vendors load their "custom" tunes into the "custom" storage spaceson the handheld tuner. Dyno tune would definitely be the way to go, or simply get a wideband and do some datalogging if you are proficient with your handheld.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:46 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

... Anything you do yourself such as a bama or brenspeed tune i consider a canned tune. A custom tune is going on a dyno, and fine tuning EXACTLY to your car, ...
Disagree. [8D]

Canned Tune: What comes pre-loaded on your handheld tuner (XCal2 or Predator)

Custom Tune: What Doug, Brenspeed, and others provide. You provide them with your current performance mods, and a tune is written for your car.

Dyno Tune: A more detailed tailoring of the custom tune which is performed from real time feedback from a dyno.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TacoBill

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

... Anything you do yourself such as a bama or brenspeed tune i consider a canned tune. A custom tune is going on a dyno, and fine tuning EXACTLY to your car, ...
Disagree. [8D]

Canned Tune: What comes pre-loaded on your handheld tuner (XCal2 or Predator)

Custom Tune: What Doug, Brenspeed, and others provide. You provide them with your current performance mods, and a tune is written for your car.

Dyno Tune: A more detailed tailoring of the custom tune which is performed from real time feedback from a dyno.
I completely disagree with that. A "custom" tune from Doug, Brenspeed or others is not written for specificcar. It is still a canned tune. Not really much different than changing 1 or 2 settings in the programming of a handheld. Still not custom. Every single 4.6L 3valve Mustang engine is different. Adam at ST Motorsports was able to find out through dealing directly with Ford that there is no specific cc flow for the heads on our cars. Every single 2005 or newer Mustang he's thrown on the dyno is way different, meaning that there is as much as 35hp difference between 2 identical stock engined cars. My car was one of the lowest stock hp'd Mustang GT's he'd ever dynoed, putting out a whopping 231 RWHP! Most dyno between 240 to 270 rwhp. That is a huge difference between two identical new cars.The A/F Ratios are way different between them too. Unless your car is put on a dyno and all of the operating parameters are properly adjusted, there is no way you can have a "custom" tune. You could provide them with a list of everything, but they have no idea whatsoever the ratio's. You can buy your "custom" tune from them, install it, and then go out and drive a leaned out, detonating car and destroy your engine.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:41 PM
TacoBill
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

I completely disagree with that.
I hear what you're saying. I think we're disputing definitions of 'custom'here, and it really doesn't matter.

I can assure you that Doug and others are changing more than 1 or 2 settings. I've seen his program tunes in person on his computer and it's amazing at the amount custom adjustments he makes that deviate from both the stock and preloaded programs.

I never attested that a mail order tune is better than a custom dyno tune. Of course, the latter is the way to go as long as the tuner knows what they're doing and you have the $$ to have it done. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I have yet to read about an engine destroyed by running a tune from Doug or Brenspeed.

Quick Reply: Custom vs. Canned Tune