Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whining while turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 PM
bermbasher

Default whining while turning

i have an 06 and when i turn it makes a whining sound. any body know what it could be? makes it in both directions.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: whining while turning

I have the same thing...sounds like adry seal rubber on a metal shaft. I wouldnt worry too much but i would like to know what is is also.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Blackhawk07
1st Gear Member

most likely its your power steering..does it do it in slight turns ? Its normal for it to make a whining noise when the car is not moving.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

most likely the clutch pack [if you have a manual]. there is a TSB for it. TSBs are listed on the main page at the top. basically, a dealership would install new clutchpacks and add friction modifier to stop the moan, or whine as you called it. the service foreman told me to just add the friction modifier myself because the fix that Ford was doing wasn't necessarily a permanent one. if you look up "rear end noise", "moan" or "groan" on this site you'll find a lot written about it. i added the friction modifier myself and have not had any more moan from the rear end now for about 3k miles.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:28 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

most likely the clutch pack [if you have a manual]. there is a TSB for it. TSBs are listed on the main page at the top. basically, a dealership would install new clutchpacks and add friction modifier to stop the moan, or whine as you called it. the service foreman told me to just add the friction modifier myself because the fix that Ford was doing wasn't necessarily a permanent one. if you look up "rear end noise", "moan" or "groan" on this site you'll find a lot written about it. i added the friction modifier myself and have not had any more moan from the rear end now for about 3k miles.

From what I read, they are replaceing the clutch packs.
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...s/06-12-11.pdf
Old 05-16-2007, 05:43 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: Blackhawk07

most likely its your power steering..does it do it in slight turns ? Its normal for it to make a whining noise when the car is not moving.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
northy_polk
3rd Gear Member

yeah, that's what i just said. that's what the TSB is for. but the bitch of the whole thing is that replacing them doesn't necessarily fix it because they are using the same parts!!! makes sense, huh?! not to me either.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:45 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

yeah, that's what i just said. that's what the TSB is for. but the bitch of the whole thing is that replacing them doesn't necessarily fix it because they are using the same parts!!! makes sense, huh?! not to me either.

Sorry about my inept reading of your last post. Yea, replacing the pack might get you another 30K miles or so. One of those things like oil changes except not as frequent.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:02 PM
schmitty
1st Gear Member

clutch packs. just had mine done
Old 05-17-2007, 04:07 AM
bermbasher

sorry i didnt state that it is an auto, and the noise is from up front almost like a bearing. or something rubbing. thanks.

Quick Reply: whining while turning