Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Venture - Producing a S197 Part

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM
spuddogg
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Venture - Producing a S197 Part

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally
But I have had the stupid thing on the side where the seat strap snaps in break off. On both seats! Anyone else have this issue? Should the dealer fix it under warranty? It happend right after I purchased the car.
That should definitely be a warranty fix.
I don't use mine anymore since I got tired of having stuff get caught in the belt/strap when I pull them out from the back seat/floorboard.
Not to mention I tripped over it once after cleaning my backseat and fell flat on my face (and promptly got right back up with a 'I meant to do that' look).
Old 05-17-2007, 04:05 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spuddogg

But I have had the stupid thing on the side where the seat strap snaps in break off. On both seats! Anyone else have this issue? Should the dealer fix it under warranty? It happend right after I purchased the car.
That should definitely be a warranty fix.
I don't use mine anymore since I got tired of having stuff get caught in the belt/strap when I pull them out from the back seat/floorboard.
Not to mention I tripped over it once after cleaning my backseat and fell flat on my face (and promptly got right back up with a 'I meant to do that' look).
[sm=icon_rofl.gif]Nice one! But really, even though they can be in the way...I would just like to have them fixed just so I don't have anything broken on my car. I'll be sure to bring it up at the dealer. I would just hate to have to leave my car there for a whole day for this lol.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I have not had a problem with mine. If I did I'd have the dealer fix them under warrantee. Even if the general public, non-Mustang fanatics, had a problem they would not go looking for parts, they would have the dealer fix it. Sorry, save your money.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Goody625
3rd Gear Member

Im ok on the seat levers, cool that you are thinking of going out on your own! Very respectable! Icould use a more streamlined, perhaps carbon fiber mount for this:

Old 05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

I am strongly considering getting into the Mustang parts business.
Bill Jr.[/align]
Here is a gizmo that you could design and produce. For those who have to have a front plate but hate it. Take a look. What do you think?

http://hotrodders.com/gallery/data/5...racket_001.mpg
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

I think once several years of S197 production is out of warranty than you might have a market. Until then I would have the dealer replace mine 10 times for free before I spent any of my own money on a better design.

Now, when the replacement is on my dime (out of warranty), then I would happily replace it with a more robust design (yours).

I don't know your finances, but buying thetooling might be a good long-term investment......most likely people will want to take care of the S197 for years to come. I just don't think it's a good short-term investment.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

No *** problem here.. but I could use a nice looking strut tower brace that was resonably priced..
Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Props for considering a entreprenurship! I don't think it's the best business specifically based on demand. I haven't had any issues with my seat *****...

Mine is only on the drivers side, and no issues yet.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:01 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Thanks for all the feedback so far guys & gals! The cost for tooling was WAY more than I was originally quoted, which caught me by surprise. It still looks do-able. I've got another part in mind for our cars, but I wanna get the **** project rolling first. Any other comments?
Old 05-17-2007, 05:36 PM
tdappleman
1st Gear Member

I'd buy them - looks like the problem on the OEM part is the thin plastic walls where it snaps onto the metal rod inside the seat. I assume you have a way to enforce the plastic without making it too thick to slide in the plastic guide on the outside of the seat. I tried to repair one of mine with some JBWeld - then sanded it down to make it thin enough to fit into the guide and it still broke after a short time.

the plastic guide I'm talking about: (bad picture - had to use camera phone instead of real camera...)

[IMG]local://upfiles/22635/036C626375DA43FB92097F034A770380.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: New Venture - Producing a S197 Part