Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed a spydershaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Has anyone installed a spydershaft

Alum driveshaft. I am looking fora alum dr. shaft for an 05GT with an automatic trans. and would like some feedback from afolks that have one. Any type or make just let me know what kind it is.And what you think of it. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:17 PM
KIMMER
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone installed a spydershaft

Yep, a ton of us on my site have them on our cars. I've had mine on for 3 weeks now and love it! Simple less than a hour install and butter smooth! Ron is a great guy to deal with and the shaft is top quality.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:18 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

Its the best, go for it, don't bother with any of those that use an adapter plate they are trouble, how long is an aluminum adapter going to last a sandwiched between 2 pieces of steel. Install is easy & mine is smooth as can be with my auto. Is is designed by Ford & made by spicer, just shortened & balanced by Spyder. You can spend alot more & have alot of problems, Ford disigned this shaft to correct vibration issues on the Ranger pick up. I bet they start using it on the newer Mustangs.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:47 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

I checked him out and he is not offering anything in his eBay store right now. What gives?
Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 PM
KIMMER
1st Gear Member

He has a website right now. He has been offering my members the shafts for $479 plus shipping. Here is his site addy. http://www.leonardracingproducts.com/
Old 05-20-2007, 03:04 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

wish i had money, thats a nice alternative to the other and more expensive ones. I'm not even sure i'd call it an alternative, it may actually straight up be the better option!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:12 PM
KIMMER
1st Gear Member

Definitely not an alternative, it is the one I would choose hands down. Not sure why others charge double, but this shaft is 100% top notch and easy to install. Takes under an hour with a second hand, but took me 3 hours do to doing it solo and the 2 hour down time I had from busting myself in the nuts with a 1/2" ratchet taking loose the pinion nut.[sm=outcold.gif]
Old 05-20-2007, 03:24 PM
daydark
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KIMMER

Definitely not an alternative, it is the one I would choose hands down. Not sure why others charge double, but this shaft is 100% top notch and easy to install. Takes under an hour with a second hand, but took me 3 hours do to doing it solo and the 2 hour down time I had from busting myself in the nuts with a 1/2" ratchet taking loose the pinion nut.[sm=outcold.gif]
The reason why it's so cheap is that it's just a reworked Ford Ranger driveshaft. I'm not saying it's a bad piece per se, but that explains the low price. I went with the Driveshaft Shop 900hp shaft, simply for the peace of mind that I know this thing will hold up to anything I can throw at it.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:45 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

My only concern is if it could hurt warranty issues... I understand why gears can void a warranty, since they make the engine run higher RPMs, but a driveshaft? Not sure what lame story Ford would throw at someone who has a lighter driveshaft in place...
Old 05-20-2007, 06:38 PM
KIMMER
1st Gear Member

The driveshaft is a ranger shaft reworked and ron has been testing them on a 500rwhp drag car with slicks and they have held up with no problems. I plan on taking my car up to 650rwhp some day, but will keep it at 480rwhp for the next year or so and the spydershaft worked out perfect. Unless you plan on running a 700 rwhp car, save yourself some money and go with the spydershaft. I looked at all the other shafts, and the 1000hp ratings are just overkill for what i'm doing. Why spend the twice the amount if you are just building a 500-600hp and under DD?

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a spydershaft