Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of new motor and KB set-up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 12:52 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pics of new motor and KB set-up...

Nice pics man!Can I ask youa question.I'm adding a KB within the next month and thinking of building a stroker forged short block this winter cause I don't drive her a whole lot when the weather gets crappy. I see you have some experience with this, just how would you recommend that I build it?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:25 AM
Scotte28516
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I must have missed the post of how you put a hole in your piston.
THAT motor was due to a terrible set of heads form JDM Engineering. They forgot to replace the valve guides and left the stockers ground 1/2" short after the port job. Valve tapped a piston in the first 100 yards of driving it. It was a nasty ordeal and I ended up having to sue them over it and won. Lot of info about it on some other sites, but never talked about it much here. Obviously I am not a JDM fan...lol (see avatar)
Wow! Your carwas in Adam's shop when I had my Whipple installed, but your turbo was shot and he was putting a new one on for you. In 2 1/2 months you managed to blow it up and then actually made it into court to sue JDM and won?? You must have some great connections in the court to get your case in and heard so quickly. Why did you buy JDM heads in stead of having them done by Adam when having the motor fixed vy him anyway? Just curious. The destroyed turbo isn't what helped destroy the piston is it?
Old 05-21-2007, 04:34 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Wait. CK?..............you already destroyed your turbo setup???? Now going with the KB, huh? Third times a charm.......you hope.[8D]
Old 05-21-2007, 05:41 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Suck that happened. Good it see her up and running!

THAT motor was due to a terrible set of heads form JDM Engineering. They forgot to replace the valve guides and left the stockers ground 1/2" short after the port job. Valve tapped a piston in the first 100 yards of driving it. It was a nasty ordeal and I ended up having to sue them over it and won. Lot of info about it on some other sites, but never talked about it much here. Obviously I am not a JDM fan...lol (see avatar)
Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Scotte28516

Wow! Your car was in Adam's shop when I had my Whipple installed, but your turbo was shot and he was putting a new one on for you. In 2 1/2 months you managed to blow it up and then actually made it into court to sue JDM and won?? You must have some great connections in the court to get your case in and heard so quickly. Why did you buy JDM heads in stead of having them done by Adam when having the motor fixed vy him anyway? Just curious. The destroyed turbo isn't what helped destroy the piston is it?
They (JDM) settled before it ever went to court. My turbo was never 'shot'. The motor that blew with the JDM heads was almost a year ago. The motor you saw in the shop 2 1/2 months ago wasn't destroyed, it just blew a head gasket and had some damage in the heads and 1 cylinder. When you saw the car, there was nothing wrong with the turbo. I was trying to push 18-20 psi on the 67mm and it was too small. When you saw it, adam was just putting in the bigger 76mm set-up and then the heat issues at 15+ psi came into play and I was blowing head gaskets on the street. Then I decided to swap to a KB and do a new motor with a tighter clearance and compression to get what I want. Try going for 16+ psi sometimes and wyou'll find out it's not so easy to make it streetable with any kit but the turbo was just about impossible.

I didn't use adam for the heads cause he had never done a P/P job on a set of 3V heads before and I think porting is a science and wanted something from a known builder. I went with livernois for that reason. The first time a year ago I got the JDM heads onlhy cause they were in stock and livernoise was 10 weeks out and I had a shortblock ready to go. I had heard some good things about JDM and I know they are good saleen tuners so I made the mistake to try them on something out of their league.

None of my turbo set-ups were ever 'destroyed'. They actually all ran great at 11 psi. The 67mm just didn't make enough power and I just got tired of dealing with the insane heating issues when I turned 76mm up.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:39 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jerjan

Nice pics man! Can I ask youa question. I'm adding a KB within the next month and thinking of building a stroker forged short block this winter cause I don't drive her a whole lot when the weather gets crappy. I see you have some experience with this, just how would you recommend that I build it?
Best advice is to keep it tight and to keep the stroke to a 298. With a 302 - you lose the knock sensors and they are just too important to lose for the street IMO.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:41 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

what tires and sizes are you running? the cars looks great man

i forgot to ask, are you lowered? what set up are you using if you are?
Billet 18x10's and I run the Nitto 555R 305/45-18 out back and the NT555 up front. Yes. lowered about 1" with the eibachs.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:43 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

Sweet.There are lots of gauges in it,isn't it?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

what tires and sizes are you running? the cars looks great man

i forgot to ask, are you lowered? what set up are you using if you are?
Billet 18x10's and I run the Nitto 555R 305/45-18 out back and the NT555 up front. Yes. lowered about 1" with the eibachs.
It looks like your rims are larger up front in your pictures like they are 20s.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:49 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

Sweet.There are lots of gauges in it,isn't it?
LOL - yeah 'most' of them are pretty important to me - fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp, trans temp, boost, wideband a/f. A couple were just to balance out the interior.

The pyrometer was real important for the turbo but useless now that the turbo is gone but since I don't want a hole in my dash, I left it. I'll probably swap it to a intake temp gauge sometime in the future. Running big psi and already blowing up motors in the past - I want to know what the hell is going on in there...lol

Quick Reply: Pics of new motor and KB set-up...