Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best oil for my GT...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: best oil for my GT...

ORIGINAL: gatkins94

Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic blend, Motorcraft FL-820s (I think that's the oil filter)

Change the oil every 5000 miles, take the old oil back to the Autozone, Advance Auto, or wherever they take used oil in your area.

Use this, you'll NEVER have a failure because of the oil!
Motorcraft is not fully synthetic though...
Old 05-21-2007, 08:24 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

5-20 pennz synthetic. Put the used oil around your house foundation to keep termites away.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:25 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZZmustang

5-20 pennz synthetic. Put the used oil around your house foundation to keep termites away.
seriously?.. doe sthat work?.. never heard that b4.. but my house is cinder block/concrete..

intresting tho
Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

How do the Mobil 1 filters rate compared to the Purolators and Motorcrafts? Because i can get Mobil 1 filters for like 3 bucks each at my work...It sometimes pays to work i the oil industry...My last 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-20 i got for free hehe
Old 05-21-2007, 08:50 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I would think they are just as good if not better
Old 05-21-2007, 09:51 PM
NomadSteve
1st Gear Member

I almost hate to get involved LOL. But here's my opinion for what it's worth:

It depends actually. If you drive short trips where the engine does not get up to operating temperatures, moisture will condense in the oil and not have a chance to evaporate which is bad for conventional oil and shortens it's life. I woud consider a syntheric in that case. Or if you don't plan to change it more often than 5-6k miles then a synthetic may be fore you. Additionally if you plan on extreme duty use (high speed running at elevated temperatures for long periods of time - such as long road races) then a synthetic may have some benefits.

However if you tend to drive it long enough that it gets to operating temperatures for a few minutes then a synthetic blend or conventional oil will work well. Also plan in changing it at 3-4k miles with the filter. Filter changes should be made every 3-4k miles regardless in my opinion.

I've had many motors apart over the years that were maintained well (routine oil and filter changes) and they all look very clean inside. I'm not sure that I've ever owned a vehicle that would have benefitted with a switch to a synthetic oil. I certainly would not have recovered the additional expense.

As was mentioned previously - change the oil at decent intervals and you should have no problem with the recommended Motocraft 5-20. The key to any oil, again, is proper maintenance (regular changes with filter) and being aware of how you are treating the oil (moisture condensation).
Old 05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NomadSteve

I almost hate to get involved LOL. But here's my opinion for what it's worth:

It depends actually. If you drive short trips where the engine does not get up to operating temperatures, moisture will condense in the oil and not have a chance to evaporate which is bad for conventional oil and shortens it's life. I woud consider a syntheric in that case. Or if you don't plan to change it more often than 5-6k miles then a synthetic may be fore you. Additionally if you plan on extreme duty use (high speed running at elevated temperatures for long periods of time - such as long road races) then a synthetic may have some benefits.

However if you tend to drive it long enough that it gets to operating temperatures for a few minutes then a synthetic blend or conventional oil will work well. Also plan in changing it at 3-4k miles with the filter. Filter changes should be made every 3-4k miles regardless in my opinion.

I've had many motors apart over the years that were maintained well (routine oil and filter changes) and they all look very clean inside. I'm not sure that I've ever owned a vehicle that would have benefitted with a switch to a synthetic oil. I certainly would not have recovered the additional expense.

As was mentioned previously - change the oil at decent intervals and you should have no problem with the recommended Motocraft 5-20. The key to any oil, again, is proper maintenance (regular changes with filter) and being aware of how you are treating the oil (moisture condensation).
That about covers it!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:59 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RICAKILLA

How do the Mobil 1 filters rate compared to the Purolators and Motorcrafts? Because i can get Mobil 1 filters for like 3 bucks each at my work...It sometimes pays to work i the oil industry...My last 6 quarts of Mobil 1 5w-20 i got for free hehe
They don't compare to purolator or motorcraft, in fact I believe they are repackaged Fram filters, which royally suck.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:08 PM
07_427R
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RICAKILLA

Here's a Oil Filter study thats been on the web for awhile now. Interesting reading.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

6 qts - 5W20 Mobil 1 Synthetic

Motorcraft FL-820s filter. Buy them at Walmart. < $3 each

I wouldn't mix viscosity or vary from the 5W20. 4.6L 3Vs are designed with tight tolerances and passages as well as some oil pressure dependent systems (e.g. the VVT). The protection of a good quality synthetic is quite adequate even under high ambient temperatures (like living in Texas).

Quick Reply: best oil for my GT...