Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossing your S197? I need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
orange S197GT
1st Gear Member

Default Autocrossing your S197? I need some advice.

Is there anyone out there that is autocrossing or tracking (road course) their 05,06 or 07? I would like to pick your brains about tire and wheel combinations and other set-up stuff. I have the polished 18" factory bullets now...trying to decide if staying with 18 is the way to go or get 17s and go the inexpensive route. Either way I need to get another set of wheels for that purpose.

TIA...
Old 05-22-2007, 12:03 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Autocrossing your S197? I need some advice.

Do you want to autocross or road race? It is a big difference. Strictly cost wise, 17" race tires are MUCH cheaper. Depending on how much weight you can get out of the car and your driving style, you may or may notneed a big brake kit. Ifyou do you need 18's, but then bullets weigh a ton so either way you need a set of wheels. For autocross a good set of pads and some braided brake lines are all you need, so 17's arent a problem. Autocrossing SUCKS with the stock setup, but doesn't need too much. Road racing can get real expensive real quick.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 AM
JT_Moore05
2nd Gear Member

I reccomend the hoosier R6 Radials. Of course 17s would be cheaper, but 18s are fine
Old 05-22-2007, 12:16 AM
orange S197GT
1st Gear Member

I autocross A LOT! We have one event a month for 11 months out of the year and that's if I just stay local. I do plan on doing HPDEs when I can. So I guess you can say I'm not really doing much road racing. I really want to be more competitive and eventually win F-Stock in my region. I pulled out a second place in class this past weekend and it was my first event in this car so I think it's possible. The car is a bit sloppy in it's stock form (major understeer), but overall I was pleased with how it handled.

I would like to stay on a relatively low budget. My wife is into cars too so I can't get all the goodies. I've got to spread the mod money around, you know. Another set of wheels is a definite must as this is also my daily driver. I was hoping to get some input as to what other S197 drivers were using. My friends recommeded I do that since they all drive other cars.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:44 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

The Hoosiers are great but don't last the way Khumo V710's do. They also cost more. The rules for F-stock arent very Mustang friendly. You need to either install an adjustable front swaybar on the loosest setting, or remove your front swaybar at the track. I promise it helps. Body roll is much more tolerable than plowing. Since you cant play with the rear bar you have to loosen up the front. I'd go ahead and throw a tune in it to get rid of the throttle lag as well. You aren't allowed a tune, they wont check. Throw on a set of Hawk HP+ pads and a set of D-specs and you will be golden
Old 05-22-2007, 01:42 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I was thinking about doing some autocrossing as well in the F-Stock, but I've got a feeling the Camaros & Firebirds in the area will beat up on me pretty good...

There's at least one guy who continually smokes every other car in F-Stock, so I probably wouldn't stand much of a chance...
Old 05-22-2007, 01:45 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Runner up at the 05' Nationals was an S197. The champion was an 03' Mach. It can be done.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

It's highly possible, I won't doubt that... But I know it ain't gonna be ME that stops the guy in our local F-Stock group...This guy swaps out with his Camaro and a buddy's 350Z in 2 different classes and continues to dominate, usually placing 2nd or 3rd in (I think) B-Stock with the Z and 1st or 2nd in the F-Stock classes.

Plus, last time I raced AutoX was in a FWD Saturn...I'm gonna have to get used to driving a RWD vehicle with more than twice the HP and about 1000 lbs more weight than that little car had...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Glengemen
2nd Gear Member

Just a thought, why dont you run in STX and put in some springs to cure the understeer, then you can run a few mods. I ran once only, but took the class against a R32 and Mazdaspeed 3. I had stock tune with axle backs, Tri-ax, 245-45-17 tires (96 Cobra wheels), and lowering springs with stock shocks. The negitive camber you get with the springs helps as I do not have a camber correction kit installed.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 AM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Go with the lightest 17" wheels you can afford (greatly reduces unsprung weight), and whatever the stickiest tires are that you can afford, and you'll be amazed how much better you will do. Don't worry about the brakes unless you really feel like they are fading; if so, just get a set of Hawk pads (street performance) and you'll be fine. Lastly, you may want to try out the advice regarding the front sway bar, loosen or disconnect.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing your S197? I need some advice.