Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AWESOME PYPES MID-MUFFLER SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: AWESOME PYPES MID-MUFFLER SYSTEM

ORIGINAL: Slink

I have this setup on my car. Total cost was $260.00. The mufflers I used are Dynomax Race Bullet mufflers and I got a set of 4" stainless tips from Summit. The sound is awesome as I have gotten many compliments. I did this mod last summer and the sound just gets better every day.
You've convinced me that mid-mufflers are the way to go. Even though the Pypes Mid-Muff system comes with THEIR basault M80bullets, they can be easily changed out at will with other bullet style muffler/resonators. That way,I can hunt for THAT PERFECT sound, until I find it.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
ErcWrestlr
2nd Gear Member

Slink, do you have any sound clips of what yours sounds like?
Old 05-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

I don't think the s197 will ever sound like the older stangs....The 2v and 3v engines just sound different.
Sad but true...[sm=violin.gif]
Old 05-27-2007, 04:56 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Im definatly interested in hearing how these work out for people.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

In a new development,I actually received my order from Pypes yesterday, a full month beforeI expected it, so I'll be installing them next week and let y'all know how it went and how they sound.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Virgule
2nd Gear Member

Well, they're in, and the sound of them is, without question, incomparable. There ain't nuthin this side of a 5.0 that sounds like these Pypes SFM-66 mid-mufflers and certainly not any axleback on any S197 that I've ever heard. Extremely nice aggressive idle and launch. Loud under WOT, withNOT A TRACE of DRONE when cruising - at any RPM. Null, nado, zippo - no drone what-so-ever. The exhaust tone is not a"deep" booming sound at all, but a definite junkyard dog growl that turns to a pleasing snarl and then into a howl when you get it on.

A coupla caveats though. These things require patience to install.JAX Performance of Chantilly took 2 hours to put them in, because the tolerances are very, verytight. You want these installed in such a way that the mufflers do not touch the fiberglass fuel tankcovers. That is not easy to do, and getting three sixteenth of an inch clearance is about all you can hope for. Also, the Pypes factory sent the wrong clamps (too small) for thestainless steel exhaust tips (which appear too big) so they will have to go in later as soon as I straighten it out with them.

But right now, I'm not worried about any of that. The sound is just totally awesome and will swear to you now that I ain't ever going back to axlebacks..
Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 AM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Well congradulations! Let me be the first one to ask for...SOUND CLIPS! lol. For the price this sounds like an excellent idea. How much did the install cost you?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 AM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

just my two cents but i like the mufflers in the back and would nt having the mufflers in the middle cause more vibration to the car 's interior cab
Old 06-08-2007, 04:48 AM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leos06gtLL

just my two cents but i like the mufflers in the back and would nt having the mufflers in the middle cause more vibration to the car 's interior cab
don't think so.........i dunno y, but there just isn't.

SOUND CLIPS SOUND CLIPS SOUND CLIPS

from every angle, inside and out PLEASE!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leos06gtLL

Drone is about resonance. And while Im no acoustical engineer I think that tone is caused by a certain frequency of vibration. Changing where the sounds or vibrations happen along the line of the exhaust could possibly be enough to get rid of the dreaded drone most people expierence with aftermarket axlebacks. In essense what your doing by changing the position of the mufflers is breaking up the resonating characteristics of the stock axleback setup. So what used to drone will either change where it does in the RPM range or be eliminated all together.

Quick Reply: AWESOME PYPES MID-MUFFLER SYSTEM