Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HURST SHIFTER

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:19 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Default HURST SHIFTER

I really want to get one of these for my car , 1 it looks real cool, 2 I am sick of missing 3rd in hard driving. I have a few questions though. Im sure you guys might be able to help me out.
1) what are the pros and cons of the shifter?
2) what is a good price for it and where to get one (can you get it from Ford parts, if so part#)?
3) how long and intense is the install? what is required to install? or should it be done by a shop?

Thanks again for all the help in advance and if there is more info that would help me, please dont be shy.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: HURST SHIFTER

ORIGINAL: MELLOWYELLOW06
2) what is a good price for it and where to get one (can you get it from Ford parts, if so part#)?
3) how long and intense is the install? what is required to install? or should it be done by a shop?
1) Pros: very positive, very short shifts. Classic look. Cons: If you like long shifts, you won't like the Hurst. May seem a bit notchy.
2) Ford offers one made by Hurst that uses the stock ****. M-7210-T. I bought mine used, and I've seen others used for about $150shipped.
3) I consider myself to be a novice when working on cars, I was able to install it with the help of my father in about an hour using basic hand tools. As long as you can get the car off the ground and comfortably work around the transmission you should be fine. I used ramps.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65340
Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Can't comment on most of it but for the install, you should be fine. Here is TacoBill's writeup for the MGW one. While not exactly the same, it should give you an idea of what's up.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3000094/tm.htm
Old 05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Article...ll-061016.html

I like the notchiness!
Old 05-23-2007, 07:09 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

ORIGINAL: MELLOWYELLOW06
1) Pros: very positive, very short shifts. Classic look. Cons: If you like long shifts, you won't like the Hurst. May seem a bit notchy.
2) Ford offers one made by Hurst that uses the stock ****. M-7210-T. I bought mine used, and I've seen others used for about $150shipped.
3) I consider myself to be a novice when working on cars, I was able to install it with the help of my father in about an hour using basic hand tools. As long as you can get the car off the ground and comfortably work around the transmission you should be fine. I used ramps.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=65340
+10!!!!!

1) PRO-Ive used the B&M ST and now the FRPP Hurst ST and the short, precise shifts are excellent, especially on the track; no complaints; hitting 3rd is a cake walk. CON-They are not as quiet shifting as some. Not that big of a "con" though.
2) I bought the FRPP Hurst and the only difference is the word "Hurst" is not on the shifter ball on the FRPP, just on the chrome stick.
3) Cant say on this, hubby is a heavy line Ford tech and he did the install. I watched him do it and it took less than an hr, maybe about 30-45 minutes.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:16 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

its all pros no cons. easy to install. there was a webpage with pic of the install sorry but I don't have a link. only cons is the stick is short. wish it was longer.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

no con's, it's great shifter, maybe alittle notchy but I like the way it feels, installed it in my driveway on ramps in 45 minutes, I bought the Ford motorsports one that came with the chrome shifter that said hurst it also came with the white hurst shift ****, I switched out the **** for a hurst T-handle[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Great shifter for the price, easy install. Re: the shifter being too short.....It wouldn't be a short throw shifter if it had a longer shaft....
Old 05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sst06vert

its all pros no cons. easy to install. there was a webpage with pic of the install sorry but I don't have a link. only cons is the stick is short. wish it was longer.

Heeeeeere
it is!!
Old 05-23-2007, 11:15 PM
Meek

I loved my T handle but grabbing it after been in the heat or cold is brutal.. switched it back to the white ball.

Dave

Quick Reply: HURST SHIFTER