Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:59 PM
Zookroo1
1st Gear Member

Default Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?

Hi everybody, here is my strange dilemma... I have been looking to get a new car and the time is finally close. At first I was looking for something a bit larger than my current car for utility purposes. I started out looking at SUVs like an Explorer, etc because it would make it easier when I need to move stuff for work. I quickly realized something that I already knew- I'm a car person. SUVs are nice for what they are, but not for normal driving. So the GT and the Mini were on the short list of cars I am interested in. I've been learning a lot reading here and I'd have to say that the people on this forum are very nice and helpful. I checked out the Mustang GT, which I really wasn't even thinking was a contender but ended up really liking it. I also checked out the Cooper S, which was also a nice ride with a unique style. The MPG on the Mini is a huge plus at 29/35. It was pretty quick too with the turbo. Not the same as the American muscle, but still cool.

Here is the problem...These two cars are at opposite ends of the spectrum, which makes choosing one or the other more difficult. Power vs. Finesse. With the Ford I can get a nice deal because my Grandfather retired from the company. So with the rebate and money I get off I can save over $4000 off the sticker price, putting both car's prices basically the same.

Anyone else ever make this strange comparison? I like a lot of things about both cars and I'm sure that I'd be happy with either but I keeping going back and forth! I'm sure this forum will be a little bit biased towards the Mustang, but not like some of the other fanboy forums. Thanks in advance for any tidbits of wisdom!
Old 05-24-2007, 03:06 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?

support your grandfathers pension you will make him and thr rest of us proud and you will love your new car, my brother has a mini loads os fun but in the shop a lot required maintance on import cars alway sees to be more frequent and more costly
Old 05-24-2007, 03:09 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

That's not a comparison.......that's a personal choice. Do you want just transportation for the 10 extra mpg, or are you OK spending a little more on gas, and actually have something you'll want to wash after the first month or 2????
Old 05-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Go with the Mustang GT, and get a 5 speed. The mini is just way too small. I would not feel safe in that car. I think most SUV's would ran over it in a crash. And there are a LOT of SUVs/Trucks on the road.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Mustang GT = ......Mini Cooper =
Old 05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I really can't help you out with your decision, both are great cars, but both are very different cars.

Thank you for not buying another SUV or truck.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Get a Mini so that there will be less Mustangsaround - increasing the value of my ride.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Bluestar, LOL Also love the Avatar. [sm=shades.gif]
Old 05-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Thank you Chris, is that a classic shot or what.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

Both are very cool cars for very different reasons. I drove a 2005 Cooper S and can say that it's equally fun to drive as the Mustang in a completely different way. The Cooper is like driving a street legal go cart around.......who doesn't love go-carts?

The Mustang is pure muscle car...........who doesn't love muscle cars?

Strange cross-shop.....but I can see the appeal in both.

Quick Reply: Buying Mustang GT vs Mini Cooper S Thoughts?