Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No trouble code????? WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
ponyman
2nd Gear Member

Default No trouble code????? WTF???

So I hop in the Roush this morning to go to work. Take off and get about 3-4 miles down the road and all of a sudden the car changes sound....I'm like WTF??? So I look at the instrument panel and the little wrench is lit up....I do some testing and it appears to have gone into "safe mode"...errrr.....WTF??? So I turn around and head back home...yeah driving in "safe mode" sucks!!!! So I get home shut off the car and go grab my predator....plug it in and tell it to read the trouble codes....."No trouble codes found".....is what I get back....okay no seriously....WTF???? So, I try again...same result....errr.....so I then restart the car and sure enough no more light....WTF??? and everything seems fine....well we left it home and took the wife's car into work today...but is sounded fine and revved fine....

Anyone have anything similar happen??? At this point I'm not sure what to make of it...or what to do.....Gonna try to do some driving tonight to see if I can get it to do it again...but other than that it is a giant WTF!!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: No trouble code????? WTF???

Is that the Check Eng Light or the Transmission error light? If it was the Check Eng light, could have been the gas cap not on tight. You mostly already know about that, and sorry if you do. Didn't mean to insulut you.

Could have been Gremlins...
Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

That's odd. I would blame the SC, but you dont' appear to have one. I'd make sure everything is tight in the engine compartment.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:03 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyman

So I hop in the Roush this morning to go to work. Take off and get about 3-4 miles down the road and all of a sudden the car changes sound....I'm like WTF??? So I look at the instrument panel and the little wrench is lit up....I do some testing and it appears to have gone into "safe mode"...errrr.....WTF??? So I turn around and head back home...yeah driving in "safe mode" sucks!!!! So I get home shut off the car and go grab my predator....plug it in and tell it to read the trouble codes....."No trouble codes found".....is what I get back....okay no seriously....WTF???? So, I try again...same result....errr.....so I then restart the car and sure enough no more light....WTF??? and everything seems fine....well we left it home and took the wife's car into work today...but is sounded fine and revved fine....

Anyone have anything similar happen??? At this point I'm not sure what to make of it...or what to do.....Gonna try to do some driving tonight to see if I can get it to do it again...but other than that it is a giant WTF!!!!

Yep... I had the same problem... had a bad throttle position sensor... it would turn on the wrench light (which means some type of Throttle body type problem), put me in limp mode but only occasionally on turn on the check engine light (and give me codes)... so it's not unheard of having the wrench light on with no codes...

Also got the wrench light the other day... happened a couple of times then finally did the CEL and gave me some codes.. (related to throttle voltage... blah, blah). I simply reseated my TB and TPS harness and it seemed to fix the issue...

Now on your car... when was it built? There was a TSB for a bad TPS on 2005's built before like December of 2004...

Old 05-25-2007, 01:05 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Leoleo

Is that the Check Eng Light or the Transmission error light? If it was the Check Eng light, could have been the gas cap not on tight. You mostly already know about that, and sorry if you do. Didn't mean to insulut you.

Could have been Gremlins...
wrench light mean something with the Throttle body... don't you just love fly by wire??? LOL
Old 05-25-2007, 01:07 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

The wrench light canmean a number of things but if it goes on and off like that,it could be a badelectrical contactin any of the engine sensors, TMC, TSS, MAF etc.
What puzzles me is that the code should be stored in the ECC until you clear it, try keeping the predator on hand just in case it happens again so you can try to read it right when it happens.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:27 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

The wrench light can mean a number of things but if it goes on and off like that, it could be a bad electrical contact in any of the engine sensors, TMC, TSS, MAF etc.
What puzzles me is that the code should be stored in the ECC until you clear it, try keeping the predator on hand just in case it happens again so you can try to read it right when it happens.
it is quite possible to get the wrench light with no codes... been there, done that... LOL
Old 05-25-2007, 08:43 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I have had the wrench come on long time ago. Turned off car, turned on car no problems. I have also had it come on, after installing h pipe, predator said no codes but my SCT picked them up.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:46 PM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

I had the exact same problem. Turned out to be a cracked throttle body plate.[:@]