Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Zeegoo

Default Snow

First off I plan on buying a 07 GT. I live in Alaska and have read a few posts about what to get (tires, weight, etc.) and about how well the car performs in the snow. My question is how well does the snow treat the car? Appearance wise and what not.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:03 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Snow

Okay - I've never been to Alaska. But I live in Colorado. You probably get more snow. But I grew up in winter driving conditions where I was raised. There was snow on the ground for at least 6 mos solid at that elevation. So I know how to drive in the snow. In fact, I am d@mn good at driving my 97 6cyl mustang in the snow. But my 06 GT? It SUCKS. It has too much torque and the traction control doesnt work worth a s**t in the snow. My advice is make sure you have a snow car.

As far as how it treats the snow? It never really was allowed to accumulate so I couldnt say. She was garaged most of the winter except two times when curiousity got the better of me and one time an unforecasted storm came in.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

In NJ we get a little bit of snow during the winter months and my 06GT was better thanI expected but then again i did not expect it to move
If your making a turn and u ever so gently press the gas pedal in a turn you'll feel it spinning. I wonder how autos handle in the snow would they be easier or harder to control in the snow?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:49 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

+1 on that, and +1 on living in Colorado. Snow and ice are treacherous with wide tires and posi-traction. If ya gotta have a stang and drive it daily under those conditions, your gonna need some studded tires.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:30 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

I should have mentioned on my 97 v6 it has studded snows, manual and little 15" tires which arent fat and dont float on the snow. I'm pretty good at slipping the clutch to start out in 2nd
Old 05-26-2007, 09:32 AM
NewMustang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

Snow and ice are treacherous with wide tires and posi-traction.
What's posi-traction? LSD?
Old 05-26-2007, 09:56 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Having lived in both of those places, I can say that we definitely get more snow in the Leadville area than we ever got in Alaska. Alaska is all about COLD people. Witch tit cold. The limited slip will help in the snow. You will just need to feather the throttle andhave stopping distance. At 49 years of age, it is obviouse that I grew up in the NO front wheel drive age. We got along fine back then without traction control, anti lock brakes and radial tires. Folks now days having never been without those safety items would freak if suddenly thrust backwards in time. And, I did all that driving as a 14 year old. I drove to school, work, and practise. Times change.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:07 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

Having lived in both of those places, I can say that we definitely get more snow in the Leadville area than we ever got in Alaska. Alaska is all about COLD people. Witch tit cold. The limited slip will help in the snow. You will just need to feather the throttle andhave stopping distance. At 49 years of age, it is obviouse that I grew up in the NO front wheel drive age. We got along fine back then without traction control, anti lock brakes and radial tires. Folks now days having never been without those safety items would freak if suddenly thrust backwards in time. And, I did all that driving as a 14 year old. I drove to school, work, and practise. Times change.
But back then the cars were made of solid bedrock and your tires were the soles of your bronto-shoes. Seriously, I'm not even middle aged (getting close) but have only owned one front wheel drive car. Having lived in CO, I have always had at least one rear wheel drive. Yeah - the FWD was better in the snow but I cut my teeth in my dad's old plymouth fury which was a tank. Anyway - I dont buy FWD anymore. If the wife wants it she can have it but I'm fine with RWD
Old 05-26-2007, 03:06 PM
raserx
1st Gear Member

I ended up getting a set of Pirelli Snowsport 210's & a set of stock rims to put them on. They performed well in snow & ice , but was really pleased how they stayed soft when the temps went sub-freezing. My nittos turned into glazed donuts when the temps dropped. Some good winter tires & common sense will get you through just about anything with the Mustang.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:18 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Get a cheap second car to drive in the winter. It is the only option.

Quick Reply: Snow