Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

400+ rwhp, what clutch for a daily driver? rush hour traffic included

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:42 AM
silvel2edge
1st Gear Member

Default 400+ rwhp, what clutch for a daily driver? rush hour traffic included

I just picked up my brand new GT yesterday afternoon =)!! Less than 4 hours old... had my friend install my first mod (Hurst short throw shifter - LOVE it!).

Anyway, I will be ordering some suspension upgrades (Need recommendations on suspension too), exhaust (Need recommendation here too... I don't want too loud, just a nice rumble), and a whipple supercharger.

Anyway, I imaging I will be at 450+ rwhp after the supercharger goes in and imagine the clutch may have to be replaced in the future. Are there any clutch brands or recommendations you guys have that would support the HP I will be making, but also be good as a daily driver? I do have about 25 miles of rush hour traffic in the mornings on the way to work, so I don't want it too stiff that i'll get wore out for constant changing between 1st and 2nd. Also, I just plan to have my car as a street vehicle for the most part... don't really plan on drag racing very much... maybe a few times, but just for fun.

Also if you could recommend any suspension packs that are good for a daily driver as well and exhaust that would be great.

Other items I'm having installed in a couple days are 18x10 wheels in the back and 18x9's in the front with 275/40/18 and 255/40/18 Toyo TR1's.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:16 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 400+ rwhp, what clutch for a daily driver? rush hour traffic included

This thread is very good for suspension. https://mustangforums.com/m_1696246/tm.htm#1700694
CrazyAl explains everything you need.

Exhaust is all personal choice. I went with SLP LMs and love them, but theyre loud. Borlas sound good as well IMO.

Honestly, I doubt youll need a new clutch any time soon unless you are just learning how to drive stick, and its going to take you awhile, or you really plan on ******* out the car. There are plenty of people with that amount of hp, and alot more miles, still running on the stock clutch.

Just a suggestion, but Id wait until the break in period is over, ~1000 miles, before you start putting on any modifications...

BTW, congrats on the new car! [8D]
Old 05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
silvel2edge
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 400+ rwhp, what clutch for a daily driver? rush hour traffic included

Hmm... so you don't think i'll blow much clutch with a supercharger? Keep in mind I probably wont be "power shifting" too often or revving the engine and dumping the clutch much. Probably more taking off from rolling starts. Yea, definately not putting the supercharger on before the first 1000 miles though.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:52 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I dont think you will. I myself have an auto, so I dont have "first hand" experience, but I do know two people with FI manuals and theyre still doing fine... one of them even has around 40k miles on his car, with probably around 10k on the SC. Theres also a few FI manuals on here, so Im sure theyll chime in with their experiences.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:11 PM
svt93style
2nd Gear Member

You'll need to upgrade that clutch, it will begin to slip...and the tranny will last as long as your driving style.
I haven't been paying attention to clutchs latley but I went with a Ram Clutch in my Fox when I blew up the tranny and clutch.
It was work putting it on the floor though.

On a side note congrats on the car and I hate you for being able to mod it right out of the gate!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:30 PM
05GT550
1st Gear Member

Your clutch will be ok for several thousand miles, all depending on how you drive it.When you decide to upgrade your daily driver, I would recommoned a Zoom stage 2 clutch. Its is as close to a stock sounding clutch you will get. Not to loud but rattles a little in reverse.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

we have a table reserved for ya at the whipple
lounge. happy hour starts at 5 and there are free
appetizers for new guests

ORIGINAL: silvel2edge

I just picked up my brand new GT yesterday afternoon =)!! Less than 4 hours old... had my friend install my first mod (Hurst short throw shifter - LOVE it!).

Anyway, I will be ordering some suspension upgrades (Need recommendations on suspension too), exhaust (Need recommendation here too... I don't want too loud, just a nice rumble), and a whipple supercharger.

Anyway, I imaging I will be at 450+ rwhp after the supercharger goes in and imagine the clutch may have to be replaced in the future. Are there any clutch brands or recommendations you guys have that would support the HP I will be making, but also be good as a daily driver? I do have about 25 miles of rush hour traffic in the mornings on the way to work, so I don't want it too stiff that i'll get wore out for constant changing between 1st and 2nd. Also, I just plan to have my car as a street vehicle for the most part... don't really plan on drag racing very much... maybe a few times, but just for fun.

Also if you could recommend any suspension packs that are good for a daily driver as well and exhaust that would be great.

Other items I'm having installed in a couple days are 18x10 wheels in the back and 18x9's in the front with 275/40/18 and 255/40/18 Toyo TR1's.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:19 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Zoom Clutch would be my recommendation as far as a clutch is concerned. Exhaust is really a personal choice. Just depends on what you like. Read Crazy Als thread on suspension it is very educational.

Richard
Old 05-27-2007, 05:33 PM
ANBAUTO
4th Gear Member

Im running a stock clutch with with my procharger and i havent had any problems
Old 05-27-2007, 07:24 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

I did have a spec+3 clutch. Very heavy on the foot. In fact the whole set-up, SC, 4.11 gears, spec clutch was quite a pain for city (stop and go) driving. Don't recommend it.

Quick Reply: 400+ rwhp, what clutch for a daily driver? rush hour traffic included