Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Im getting a mustang, i got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:35 PM
callahan
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Im getting a mustang, i got some questions

Stay in school and learn how to spell for God's sake. The insurance rate will eat you alive for the V-8. Get the V-6 automatic.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:52 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

I say get an older 97-98 GT (less power, easy fixes, tons of parts which you can install yourself and learn) if you can find itandcontinue to save your money for when you can truly appreciate the new mustang (after the redesign).I'm 25, and the things that you can do in this car I cant imagine being able to handle when I was your age. Most important thing for you isdriving experience.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

I think if he is responsible enoughto work and save up that kind of cash he deserves to get the new GT. They are great cars. I have two 06 models, get great gas mileage, can easily be modded and is not a car that you will most likely get bored with. I only wish my son and step son were responsible enough to do what you have done. apparently you have had a goal in mind and have worked very hard to achieve it. I just suggest making sure you can afford the insurance as well and still be able to have a life and it not just be your car. I only hope that if you get itand want to push it and see what it will do and enjoy the racing scene and all the mods that you can easily do to them you do it at a race track and not the street where yourself and innocent people can easily be hurt. I have always had fast cars since i was 16, but new there was a place and time for racing and most tracks have test and tunes along with high school drags for you to attend. good luck with whatever you decide
Old 05-29-2007, 12:34 AM
sw07gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nonstopred

yeh. my 6 is like 3500....but that gt could run you into the 6's i bet. The first thing the insurance agent said when my dad called that we got a car was "DONT TELL ME HE GOT A GT!"

yeh, well if insurance isnt really a problem for you, I'd say get a gt. Its a damn fast car that you will love. I love my 6, and its a 6. Just imagine how much you'll love the gt....its an 8! But in retrospect, theres really no other car you could or want to buy in the price range you are at that can compete with a mustang. Another thing though....I am a kid as well, and a 300 hp car may be just not a good thing for an inexperienced driver to have. Many people have often meetings with telephone poles, and thats why the insurance companies charge so much money.

Hope my late night typing isunderstandableenough.
Who the hell do you do insurance with? My friends insurance on his Evo is cheaper than yours and those are the most expensive cars to insure.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:56 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05gtdriver

In the course of owning two S197 GTs and covering over 30+ thousand miles(22K on first, 9K on current car), I've only had the throttle body go badand battery die on my first(2005) GT, haven't had a single issue with the '06 in 10 months, so I think, so far, it's been pretty reliable. Yes, various rattles commence around 6-7K miles, and I didn't have the leaking window syndrome on either car.
Although my question is, are you prepared to handle a 300hp car? I feel that younger(minors) drivers should have more driver's training and some sort of course in getting used to a fast accelerating car. It's easy to put in gas, start it up and floor any car, but a novice driver won't have the reaction time(which comes through having driving experience) in any vehicle, let alone a car capable of exceeding the national speed limit in under 6 seconds. I'm not saying you're not able to drive this type of automobile, but some serious seat time and lots of basic drivingfundamentals need to be enforced to allow you the
benefits of enjoying your Mustang without losing respect for it's potential. I realize I'm sounding like the
moral majority of the car world, but I'm 41(almost 42) and I have a hard time holding back(when driving my GT), I can only think how I would've been at your age. Driving is a new and wonderful experience when you're 16 and having what's considered one of the baddest cars on the road will only test your ability to contain yourself . I say, good luck with getting a car you really desire and please treat it with great respect. I'd stay away from the 2005 models, not because they're bad cars, but the 1st year of any all new model will have bugs that hopefully will get ironed-out in subsequent years.
+1

Coming from another 'geezer' (40's), I agree - drivers, especially kids, should get extra training before driving a car like the GT. When I was 16, my first car was a 1977 Renault R12 - a piece of junk, even by French standards. Still, I could light up those little front tires and did so all too frequently.

How that car ever survived me without major drivetrain work is beyond comprehension (and I think the R12 was good for a whopping 80HP or something like that). I shudder to think what kind of trouble I could've got myself into with anything like a new GT (or the V6, for that matter).

I also liked Rt1Rebel's comments on reliability - I don't think that's a major factor.

The idea that you may be better off buying used is a good one.A car depreciates the most in the first couple years of ownership, and there are some really good deals on 03 and 04 Mustangs right now.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Blackhawk07
1st Gear Member

Get your name in the family insurance,but don't show your name driving it..thats what I do.. Other than insurance issues,it's a great car. You will love it..If you know how to drive stick-shift go to a dealership and test drive one,hit the throttle a little and you will see!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I've owned Fords all my life and NEVER had to use the warranty on any of them, including an '89 Mustang LX, '90 Taurus GL, '99 Mustang GT, '02 F250 Super Duty.

On your first car, buy used. Think of it as your practice vehicle. You are bound to get into some fender benders and be hanging in places that will also have inexperienced drivers, like the high school parking lot. This way you won't have to sweat any little scratch and ding to your car.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:09 PM
Charlie97L

i concur.

save a good chunk of the money, that's a nice little nest egg, and by the time you're done with college, if you invest it well, that'd make a great downpayment on a nice condo/house (depending on where you live).. trust me, i wish i'd done that, instead of frittering my savings on car mods/stereo stuff. it was fun, and i've recovered, but now i wish i'd put at least part of the money away. it would have made these past few years a lot easier.

if you have a steady income, get it financed, don't buy it outright/don't buy an 07 with cash. you'll losea few K right as soon as you drive it off the lot.

i'd go with the suggestion of a last get vert. those are sweet. i had a decent buick regal in high school, and i'm glad i didn't have a new car until much later, because i knocked that up pretty good. please don't get a gt. i'm 28, and i drive like a grandma, and i have trouble keeping mine under the speed limit.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You will have way more fun with a used car. If you by a dream car for your first car.. you will spend more time worrying about it than having fun with it. If you get a car that you can beat on.. and pop out the fender after you bump into someone.. it will be a better time.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

You will have way more fun with a used car. If you by a dream car for your first car.. you will spend more time worrying about it than having fun with it. If you get a car that you can beat on.. and pop out the fender after you bump into someone.. it will be a better time.
Yes, if you are driving around with friends, you don't want to be nagging.. dude, watch the doors!, why didn't you tell me to pull over before you hurl, man! sweetie, let me put something on the seat first...

ahh.. youth... it's wasted on the young...if I knew then what I know now...

Quick Reply: Im getting a mustang, i got some questions