Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles before going to Mobil 1?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:52 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How many miles before going to Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 SuperSyn motor is almost 100%, I will stilladd to list, But the $5.00 Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic oil that you can buy at walmart is not.

It is true that Mobil has recently changed the formulation of their oil. However, it was never, at any point, 100% PAO (Group IV); it was always a blend of different bases. They may have lessened the amount of PAO used, but they will not reveal the percentages due to sensitive proprietary information. This is not unusual, since every engine oil manufacturer will do this.

ButMobil 1 used to be full Group IV, but "they now mix in some hydrocracked basestock." Mobil 1 doesn't
state that it is a full 100% Group IV, only that includes "some" (some could be 1% for that matter). Like Castrol, I believe the Mobil 1 is a blend of Group III and Group IV, therefore, a full synthetic but not a full Group IV. Blends are considered a blend of conventional oil and synthetic. Marketing *******.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

I thought the first scheduled maintenance was at 5k? I'm at about 3300 miles right now. Is it time for my first oil change?

~Fletch~
Old 05-28-2007, 10:09 PM
orange S197GT
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fletch

I thought the first scheduled maintenance was at 5k? I'm at about 3300 miles right now. Is it time for my first oil change?

~Fletch~
IMHO it's passed time. Some here may agree and some may disagree, but I (and most of my friends who are car guys) always get the factory fill oil out somewhere around 500 to 1000 miles. I think it's just good practice.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:14 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fletch

~Fletch~
I changed mine at 2k and went Mobil 1 right then, Change the first oil no less than three because there might be leftover steel crap
from manufacturing or break in wear and debris. My local dealer uses Mobil 1 Synth (PAO III) Compatable oil.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE CASTROL SYNTEC....
My Sons Mustang is 5 years old when he bought it from a good friend. He used nothing but Castrol Syntec. When he bought it he started with Royal Purple beforehe went to Amsoil. We started seeing what looked like flakes of plastic on the dip stick and suddenly the oil perssure dropped. I changed the filter prematurely and later the oil. After that 2nd change it mostly went away andlater switched to Amsoil. I realized what that stuff was when a friend and I replace the intake andheads. It was varnish build up left behind by the Castrol Syntec that was being cleaned off by the Royal Purple and then the Amsoil. That stuff is seriously nasty.

My Only Choices for Oil in any of my Cars and Trucks....
Use Mobil 1 Synth for best oil (Change 3k-5k)
Mobil 1 SuperSyn for good price Synthetic (Change 5k-10k) depends on conditions
AMSOIL / Royal Purple / Red Line for Racing .... (Follow MFG. Directions)

Your Oil is only as good as the filter that cleans it.
Mobil 1 Makes killer Filters, Also K&N and WIX
Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Yes, your first maintenance scheduled is 5K miles... But you need to understand something very important...

Ford's scheduled maintenance is targeted at the regular soccer moms and people like that. Regular people buy mustangs more than enthusiasts do, and regular people will NEVER buya car if they read about "It needs an oil change after 500 miles and then every 3K miles after". They'll run away, because they don't care for the Mustang THAT much, and will go buy something else. Something that touts 5K oil changes.

This is why Ford says 5K miles. The mass buyers want to hear that. We enthusiasts, however; know better.

Also understand that the car is out of warranty at 36K miles. Does Ford really want your car to last forever? No, they'll never make money. They need cars to last long enough that you're satisfied, but not too long in that they never get another sale from you. They need you to need a new car; AFTER 36K miles. If they can get your car to last until 100K miles, and no further, then you'll need another car and hopefully, in their eyes, it will be another Ford.

Change your oil now. Change it every 3K after that.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Good info, thanks a lot.

I'm going to head into my serive dept. tomorrow.

~Fletch~
Old 05-29-2007, 12:53 AM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

After first change to synthetic, how long to the second change. Will reg oil and synthetic co mingle on first changefor 3K miles?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:57 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I change mine every 5K with RP
Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 AM
frdfrst
2nd Gear Member

i do mine between 5-7500 miles. look at your oil if you change at 3000.theres for the most part nothing wrong.i use mobile 1.i've been using it since it came out and have had no problems.if you want to check,get your oil checked by analysis.theres at least one place in most cities.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:51 AM
philster2003

I have 242 miles on the car, I plan on changing to Mobil 1 ASAP, Probably @ 300 miles. Then I will change at 3K intervals.

Quick Reply: How many miles before going to Mobil 1?