Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 or GT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Mannus

Default V6 or GT?

I test drove a V6 last week and found it to be a little slugish in the lower gears (automatic). I am going to buy a 05 mustang but I'm not sure as to wich one yet. I'd like a manual transmition I think but I have not seen one yet. The V6 would probible be enuff for me as I am not going to race it or anything but still...

If anyone has taken the V8 out for a spin and the V6? is the differnce enuff to warrent the extra price? Anyone seen anything but automatics?

P.S. the wait on the GT is long where I live or you have to pay up to get it now (something I can't see myself doing) and that V6 was really new (under 5 miles on it so it might have not been drivin enuff yet)
Old 12-28-2004, 08:31 PM
Evil Sephiroth
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 or GT?

haha this outa be a good one!!!

Grabs the popcorn!!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:48 PM
VaporDude
5th Gear Member

All good things come in time. If you are willing to spend that extra cash and wait a little longer, go for the GT, especially the one with a manual tranny. If you want it now, go to http://www.fordvehicles.com/dealerships and plug in your zipcode and 50 dealers around your area will come up. Search each dealer to find what you want. There is no comparison from the V6 to the V8. Perhaps the V6 manual tranny might be enough for you. But as the saying goes...."To each his own".
Old 12-29-2004, 03:56 AM
2000iav6
2nd Gear Member

from a long ago thread....

ORIGINAL: 2000iav6

Thunder, with all due respect because you know I give it, but DON'T ride in an '05 GT unless you're prepared to throw rocks at your '03. Maybe you won't. I'm just saying be prepped. [sm=boohoo.gif]
I drove, back-to-back, an '04 GT with 200 miles on it and then an '05 GT with 350 miles on it and it was apples and oranges, man. Now, with the mods you have made, yours would probably be faster than an '05, tit for tat. [sm=smiley20.gif] But this '05 was WAAAAAAY faster than the stock '04, had a 6-speed, Shaker 1000 system, etc. [sm=loveeyes.gif] The killer factor was the way the 05 felt. No comparison. The ergonomics of the 05 compared to the 04 made the biggest difference. In our generation, it feels to me like everything is far away: I am 6'1", and I feel like I need to reach for everything - radio, A/C, fan controls yada yada yada, because I need the seat so far back because I'm tall. Not so in the 05. Feels like a cockpit...very snug. The seats are so much more comfortable, lots of leg room, controls are fingertip easy to reach, you feel like you're sitting lower in the car, and the ride is maybe not day and night better, but dawn and noon. To say absolutely NOTHING of the gauge display. Oofdah! The 05's is A LOT better. [sm=trust_me.gif]Steering is more responsive, the handling is better, and the "feel" for the road is much more prevalent. The car lets you know better where you stand with your pavement relations. Now they wanted to deal like a mo fo on the 04, and wouldn't give an inch on the 05. Payments were like $425 on the 04 and close to $600 on the 05 despite havin similar stickers. Makes a difference, but there is no way I would buy the 04 new. I'd wait until I can afford an 05. I would buy a Cobra if I could, though.[sm=tongue.gif]
Old 12-29-2004, 04:21 AM
Pacman
2nd Gear Member

if you get the 6 banger you might regret it later. and i will always drive a manual.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:36 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I haven't driven a V6 and I have the GT, but I'm interested in the gas mileage difference. Right now I'm getting about 22 miles per gallon and I do enjoy the performance from time to time. Good luck and buy a Mustang whatever you do.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:08 AM
tammijoe
1st Gear Member

Just want to say...I have a GT and love it, it has a manual trans, would not have any other.
Have had 6's in the past,....and liked the drive, but the 05 GT beats them all.
But if the 6 is all you think you need go for it.
Good luck with your choice.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:21 PM
lisagt

Awesome TammiJoe... nice to see some 'chicks' share my love for muscle cars. Just bought a Screamin' Yellow (striped) '05 GT last week. It's a lawn ornament this week (freezing rain and snow) but I couldn't wait to get it~love it! I'm the first one in the area to have one and damn does it get alot of attention.... best wishes to everyone getting a GT; we'll see you at the 1/4 mile !!!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Mannus

Thanks for the input
I am going to wait it out and get a GT. There are non in my area and I can't even find a car sales man who isn't tring to talk me OUT of getting the more expensive modle... crazy world we live in
Old 01-05-2005, 09:08 PM
ravenblack67

Buy what you can afford and makes you happy. I bought the V6. I have a 1967 coupe with a V8 and a 1998 Camaro with a V8. What I wanted was a daily driver at a decent price. The 5R55S auto trans is a joy to drive.