Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super/Turbocharger....whatever I just want faster!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM
Outatime
2nd Gear Member

Default Super/Turbocharger....whatever I just want faster!

Hi all

Need some advice please, now my warranty has run out on my 05 GT and I have a few miles on it now (22k) I am thinking about maybe a Supercharger/Turbocharger on it.I don't plan taking it to the track or anything but I see all these new Shelby’s and such floating around and I get small ***** complex from it Seriously though I would like a little more power in my car now for whenI need it now and again and someone tries to make an **** out of me on the I4! My car is pretty much stock apart from some Flowmaster American thunders I added which I love other than that it’s all cosmetic (stripes, grillsetc)

Questions, for someone who like I said isn't going to pound the HP everyday and still uses there Stang as a run around what would you suggest? Turbo or Supercharger? To be honest I am not really into the mechanics of engines so I don't really know the difference?

2nd question, will adding one of the above shorten the life expectancy of my Stang? I was sort of hoping to keep hold of mine for a while now and maybe store it later on down the line as I have and hope to continue to treat it well but I will feel so bad to burn it into the ground with five years of using a Super or Turbocharger! Don't get me wrong its not going in a museum but I want it to last!

3rd question, I am in the central Florida area and was hoping to find someone to do the work for me would anyone suggest a local company near me to use?

Final question, if you do think the above is right for me which charger would you recommend please?

Thank you all for your help, great forum.

Stuart - Davenport, Fl
Old 05-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Super/Turbocharger....whatever I just want faster!

I would go with a turbo. its all preference cuz it will be 50/50 on a s/c and turbo discussion. search and read on both of them then make a decision
Old 05-30-2007, 05:16 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

100% with Dex.

Don't even think about brand names. Research the technology and include both turbo and s/c. Figure out the best system for your goals and style of driving. Keep the powerconservative (maybe 375-400 rwhp) andyou can have plenty of fun without aggravating the stock Mustangcomponents, and you'lllikely avoid traction issues as well.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:01 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

+2
Turbos will give you more power for the street, since the boost is delayed you won't have a huge traction
issue from the dig like you would with a SC. I think the turbos are more streetable than SC as well.
I perfer the SC myself because I like the sound and I drag race at the track

Old 05-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Man_Of_Leisure
1st Gear Member

I think its important to note that turbocharging your car brings a lot of extra heat to the engine bay. You'll find that your batteries will fail quicker, and you'll need to replace spark plug wires and other hoses more frequently. Not sure of the drawbacks with a super charger. Either way, turbo is a hell of a lot of fun.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

my turbo is rear mounted and it runs 500 degrees cooler. oh and it sounds sick as HELL!!!

www.ststurbo.com

they have been the coolest guys too. I recommend them to anyone
Old 05-30-2007, 06:41 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Man_Of_Leisure

I think its important to note that turbocharging your car brings a lot of extra heat to the engine bay. You'll find that your batteries will fail quicker, and you'll need to replace spark plug wires and other hoses more frequently. Not sure of the drawbacks with a super charger. Either way, turbo is a hell of a lot of fun.
True, then get the GT500 hood with the heat extractors
Oh and the new GT's do not have spark plug wires.. I still perfer a Wipple though.

ORIGINAL: Dex
my turbo is rear mounted and it runs 500 degrees cooler. oh and it sounds sick as HELL!!!

www.ststurbo.com
This STS setup looks sick... I bet it is easy for anyone to install. I think I would like it as a mid pipe setup after the cats would be cool,

Old 05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

you should watch the videos. i love the sound
Old 05-30-2007, 07:14 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Yea, Dex it does sound nice,
the only thing I don't like is the placment of the air filter..
What power are they making you ? any time slips ?

Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

No time slips yet but hopefully will be tomorrow. Also whatever time i get you have to figure a whole second off because im in Utah. so if i ran a 13 it would be around a 12 at sea level.

here what they got
05 STS dynojet numbers
Intercooled
5psi HP:387 TQ:418
6.5psi HP:407 TQ: 449

I'll be running 8lbs with methonal by tomorrow afternoon and then i will be dynoing it. im hoping to get in the 440rwhp range on my stock motor.

Quick Reply: Super/Turbocharger....whatever I just want faster!