Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for supercharger education

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 12:32 AM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

Default Looking for supercharger education

I don't have any experience with a supercharger other than driving one of the 427 hp cars the other day. Now I am interested in getting one. I see a LOT of debate about these things and I am looking for information.

I know these kind of inquiries will generate brand preference but let's hear why you like one over the other or why you really don't like one particular brand.

The dealership says that if they put one on it would be covered under warranty because Roush has an excellent relationship with Ford. They want $7800 installed. I am pretty mechanically inclined but the thought of killing my warranty on this 2 mos old car concerns me and may pay the dealer to do it since they said if they put it on it's covered. Any walkthrough on supercharger install anywhere?

Seems to me that some people hate the roush chargers. Seems from what I have read the the kenny belle is the preferred among many. I am slightly confused on the KB chargers simply because they seem to have many different models. What is out there and why one over the other?

The car is completely stock other than a ford racing products cat back and I plan on keeping it stock other than what comes with the supercharger kit.

Lastly, my car is a 2007 5-spd car, convertible. Any special considerations regarding this? I just want more power.

Thanks

All ears!

What
Old 05-31-2007, 12:47 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking for supercharger education

i'm not sure if your asking specifically for the
roush install manual here, but if your interested in
a generic s/c install, this should do fine for you.
-
http://www.users.qwest.net/~cookpaging/whipple.pdf
-
you can find most of the other s/c's install manuals, with
a little bit of searching around.
-
i'm no mechanic and i did this myself. i waited a
year though, before adding it.

good luck, keep us posted

ORIGINAL: cerino2000

I don't have any experience with a supercharger other than driving one of the 427 hp cars the other day. Now I am interested in getting one. I see a LOT of debate about these things and I am looking for information.

I know these kind of inquiries will generate brand preference but let's hear why you like one over the other or why you really don't like one particular brand.

The dealership says that if they put one on it would be covered under warranty because Roush has an excellent relationship with Ford. They want $7800 installed. I am pretty mechanically inclined but the thought of killing my warranty on this 2 mos old car concerns me and may pay the dealer to do it since they said if they put it on it's covered. Any walkthrough on supercharger install anywhere?

Seems to me that some people hate the roush chargers. Seems from what I have read the the kenny belle is the preferred among many. I am slightly confused on the KB chargers simply because they seem to have many different models. What is out there and why one over the other?

The car is completely stock other than a ford racing products cat back and I plan on keeping it stock other than what comes with the supercharger kit.

Lastly, my car is a 2007 5-spd car, convertible. Any special considerations regarding this? I just want more power.

Thanks

All ears!

What
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 AM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

Try this:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger.htm
Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I think that first, you need to take a big ole step back....

Now, you need to decide what sort of power adder you want. Do you want a turbo? Do you want Nitrous? Do you want a Supercharger? If a SC, do you want a Centri, Twin Screw, or Roots? What are your goals?

Are you looking for a SC'd car that has alot of low-end torque? Are you looking for a SC'd car that just build and builds boost? Or are you looking for a SC'd car that is very safe?

You have a vert, (like I do), I assume you want a psuedo street beast, (like I have). A twin screw or maybe a nice turbo is your friend. The centris are much better at 1/4 mile applications and are alot easier to put higher psi than twins screws and roots.

The big limiting factor with power adders in these cars is the internals on the stock engines. If you want to keep your stock engine, you HAVE to find a good tuner to go along with your selected power adder. This forum (and others especially) have all sorts knowledge on where to get your car tuned.

You have to decide what you want in your car. Do you want a SC completely covered by a warunty? You have to go with the Rouscharger (roots type, innefficient, and minimal power gains compared to the others). Do you want low-end torque that builds in a linier fashion? Twin Screw is for you. Do you want boost that builds and builds all the way to redline? Centri is your bet. Turbos are alot like Centris, though a bit different (I think more efficient).

I have a Saleen twin screw SC with a conservative tune. Ot is safe, and it is torquy and aweful fun to drive... 440 RWHP and 440 TQ... and all in a convertible...
Old 05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
mcstang
2nd Gear Member

Not to jump this thread, but is it also possible to get a SC installed for $5000.00 or lower? I just want to get a little over 400rwhp (or am I dreaming?)
Old 05-31-2007, 10:14 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mcstang

Not to jump this thread, but is it also possible to get a SC installed for $5000.00 or lower? I just want to get a little over 400rwhp (or am I dreaming?)
mine was $4800 installed.....the extra doo dads...cost $1000 more...so total $5800 installed for my saleen setup
Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

If you're looking to save money I would give Underground Mustang a call. They have GREAT prices. I would recommend a twin screw such as Saleen, or Whippleand do the install yourself. You say you're mechanically inclined, so I would say get a good friend and relative and dedicate a weekend to it.

I did mine with a relative and we took our time, got it done in about 12 hrs. Just read through the instructions at least TWICE prior to starting. It will give you a good idea of all the tools you'll need and what to expect. Also, if your considering the Saleen, there are quite a few install reviews with pics on this and other forums to help you through it.

By doing it yourself you'll 1)Save alot of $$ 2) Ensure it's done right and 3) If anything ever goes wrong you'll know explicitly what was done and where to look.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:54 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

All above advice is fantastic.
I have been laboring over this subject for over a year now.
I know I wanted a SC because I want power through the entire curve.
Warranty was not an issue since any mod I did was going to cause issues with Ford.
So I looked at the three top roots blowers.
Kenny Bell
Whipple (Also FRPP Supercharger)
Saleen VI

All tree are Nice, I did not like the KB because the intake is on the left side, same as the roush, this setup make the intake tube run accross the front of the engine, Messy setup.. and they are the most difficult to install due to wireing harnes rewire and changes.
Damn nice Power boost. (1-10 scale = 8)

Wipple by far was my Top choice Nice install, intake is on the right side, install still requires a lot of wiring changes
Moderate Power Boost (1-10 scale = 7)

Saleen, Very Clean Install nice stealthy look under the hood, Easy install minor wiring changes due to alternator relocation.
Safe Power Boost (1-10 scale = 6)

The saleen will be the best for the do-it-yourself install JMHO
Check out this Supercharger Buyers Guide
Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i love the saleen series VI

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

The saleen will be the best for the do-it-yourself install JMHO

Old 05-31-2007, 06:28 PM
2k05gt