Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High altitude blues

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 AM
Retrorocket
1st Gear Member

Default High altitude blues

Just recently made the trip from Colorado to Chicagoland to visit my Mom, and I could not believe how much the Mustang woke up at the lower altitude. The mass air sensor must have gone nuts with all that dense air!I already knew previously about the HP change due to the dense air at lower altitude, and at the time(97) when I moved to Colorado, I was told I would need to changea chip that controlled the air/fuel mixture as the air is thinnnnnnnnn way up here, but never changed it. Now, with the Mustang, even if I put a CAI or a Supercharger on, it probably won't even be close to its potential due to the high altitudes thin air. I realize there will be an improvement by pulling in more air, but feel like the full HP advantage will be lost. Is there anyway to compensate for this problem?(besides moving to a lower altitude) LOL
Old 05-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: High altitude blues

None that I've ever heard of. You might be able to get some improvement with a custom dyno tune, but I don't think there's any way to beat physics. I'm just over the mountains from you, in Salt Lake, and while we're not as high as you guys, we get hammered pretty badly with the thin air as well. Whenever I travel anywhere else with either of my cars I'm always amazed at how much more powerful they seem. I believe the NHRA says the altitude adds about .9 seconds to your quarter mile times in Denver. The only consolation is that F-body you pull up to at the tree is suffering the same effects.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

CAI and a dyno tune is going to be your best bet without FI. It's not going to be the same as we get but it'll feel better at least.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Yeah - my poor stang is suffering from altitude sickness!! [:'(]
Old 05-31-2007, 03:15 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

I live at ~7000' feet in Flagstaff, AZ.

When I go to the coast, Colorado River valley (Havasu,Laughlin) my car still scares me after a year!!!

I hear that at 7000' I lose about 11% of my power.

later
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

I was surprised this weekend when I visited my parents in El Paso. The altitude here in Dallas is about 700' and it's about 4700' in El Paso. I could tell the difference for sure.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:03 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I got you all beat. The GT goes up to Leadville everyday at 10,200'. Still runs like a scalded dog. It may run better down lower but cry me a river won't you.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:42 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

I got you all beat. The GT goes up to Leadville everyday at 10,200'. Still runs like a scalded dog. It may run better down lower but cry me a river won't you.
Holy crap that's funny!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
StantheMan
2nd Gear Member

I live onthe outskirts of Denver, not quite as bad a Leadville which I believe is above 10,000 feet in altitude compared to my 6,000 ft. in altitude. Also, not only does Colorado have less air, but we have to contend with less octane in ourfuel. Regular gas here is 85 octane, mid grade 87octane, and premium is only 91 octane. When I purchased my tuner from Brenspeed, they specifically set the tune for the lower octance and higher altitude, I am sure that my Stang would run much better a lower altitudes, but having a tune specifically set for high altitudes and our lower octane fuel helps quite a bit.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 PM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

Ahhhh..... altitude topics remind me of flying....

And, this one reminds me of my favorite airplane, the P-51 Mustang [8D]

When the Mustang was initially introduced into (WWII) military service, it was the British, not U.S. military, who adopted it first. Those Mustangs were running a rather mediocre engine (the same used in the P-38 and P-40). That worked fairly well, as long as the pilots stayed low enough. The P-51 was not particularly good at attacking ground targets, and wasn't good at intercepting enemy fighters at 30,000-40,000 feet.

But, it was a good airplane, and the British found a way to get more out of it - installing one of their Rolls-Royce "Merlin" engines. The Merlin had a two-stage supercharger, and a couple-hundred more horsepower. More power is welcome in any fighter plane, but it was the supercharger that helped produce more power at any altitude.

It was that supercharger whichmade a decent fighter plane into an excellent one. If you don't mind messing with your warranty, it's the only way to compensate for the thinner air at higher altitudes, and that goes for both piston-powered airplanes and cars.

Quick Reply: High altitude blues