Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Skinnies

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 03:17 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default Front Skinnies

I know several people on here have front skinnies for the track. I've been looking around and I can't find anywhere that sells them without having to special order them from places like Bogart. I have a few questions as well.

The normal spare wheel looks to be about 4 inches wide. I was thinking of getting some M&H 4.5/26-17 D.O.T. skinnies for the spare and just buy an extra spare wheel. The wheels themselves look like crap but I could probably paint them or something. This isn't exactly my first choice but it wouldn't require the use of spacers or new studs like some skinnies do.

Cost is not a factor...if i can't afford it today, i'll save until I can. I'd prefer to do it once and do it right.

Does anyone make a front skinny that doesn't require spacers and new studs?

Will a 15inch front skinny clear the stock brakes? If so, what are my options for wheel manufacturers?

Thanks all. I'm shopping for a birthday present for myself and am getting ideas for Christmas.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:43 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Front Skinnies

nobody??
Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

weld racing makes a 17x5 superlight version for the s197's and also a 17x9 rear that were listed in summits catalog. they also make some really expesive alumalite and magnum series wheels for the 05-up cars(17" x4 & 17x10). i also think holeshot makes wheels specifically for our cars now. other than that you are stuck with the spare which is a 17x4. i think the only company that makes a tire for that is hoosier currently and they are $169 each!
other option:
find a set of stock wheels or some type of other wheel you would like to have as a skinny and send them to weldcraft wheels and have them narrowed. i wish i had done this in the beginning instead of the bogarts thing.m/t makes a skinny street tire in 18" so at least you have a choice between 18" and 17". i may sell my bogarts this winter and get a set of steeda ultra lites and have the fronts narrowed so i can actually drive with my drag wheels on. bogarts are too fragile for street use.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:33 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

weld racing makes a 17x5 superlight version for the s197's and also a 17x9 rear that were listed in summits catalog. they also make some really expesive alumalite and magnum series wheels for the 05-up cars(17" x4 & 17x10). i also think holeshot makes wheels specifically for our cars now. other than that you are stuck with the spare which is a 17x4. i think the only company that makes a tire for that is hoosier currently and they are $169 each!
other option:
find a set of stock wheels or some type of other wheel you would like to have as a skinny and send them to weldcraft wheels and have them narrowed. i wish i had done this in the beginning instead of the bogarts thing.m/t makes a skinny street tire in 18" so at least you have a choice between 18" and 17". i may sell my bogarts this winter and get a set of steeda ultra lites and have the fronts narrowed so i can actually drive with my drag wheels on. bogarts are too fragile for street use.
Thanks man, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I don't think having the wheels narrowed would be an option because by the time I bought the wheels to match the ones with my DRs, shipped them to have them narrowed, and payed to have them shipped back, they'd probably be as much as the Weld Alumalite or Magnum wheels (which i can't justify the cost for right now). I may see how much it'd cost to get some plain bullets and have them narrowed...they won't match but I could always have them chromed later on. I need to look for a place that does wheel narrowing in Texas if i'm going to keep that as an option.

My fall-back plan is to buy another spare and put some M&H skinnies (fit a 17x4 wheel) on them. At $141 each tire and probably $60 or so for the spare wheel...that's $342 total without shipping. Ineed to see how much the spare 17x4 wheel weighs without the tire and see how much the skinny weighs. This route might not even be worth it if the combo is only going to save me 10-15 lbs.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM
luv2cheat
1st Gear Member

M&H makesa newskinny front tire to match their drag radial in 17". They look BAD @$$!!!.