Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveway Fender Bender - UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:17 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Driveway Fender Bender - Advice

oouch that sucks noone ever gets near my stang lol :-) sensored alarm and everything lol and the suv that parks next to it, is usually driving by me anyways lol
Old 06-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Well, I'll give you all a little update. I decided to take it to the dealership to get fixed -one, because I was not paying for it, and two, they have a reputable service department and body shop. They quoted me a price of $1500 which included repairing (not replacing) the front fender and bumper as well as replacing the headlight, turnsignal and radiator mount.

I picked it up today, and I was suprised. It really looked great. They did an excellent job pulling out the front fender dent and getting all the sheet metal gaps right. The front bumper was warped from being pushed in, but it too was pulled out and evened out. The paint even looked great...in the parking lot under direct sun. Once I brought it home and pulled it in the garage, I looked across the hood (was not damaged at all in the accident) and where it meets the fender, about 3-4in. inward is cloudy - running the entire length of the hood When I run my hand over it, there is a definite difference between the rest of the hood, and where the cloudiness starts - it is rougher and "dull" feeling. Almost like the feeling of a matte finish. I am not happy.

I'm afraid to wash it, wax it or buff it because it's new paint. I can't tell if it's left over residue or if it just wasn't buffed out enough. I seem to think that they did what some of you said - that they blended the fender paint with the hood.

Do any of you know anything about paint? Is this a common occurance? Easy to fix?

They aren't open until Monday. I do have a warranty on the work though. Therefore, I'm going to insist that they get it right.

~Fletch~
Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Id have to trade it it once it was damaged like that. Id always knowthe damage & any flawswas there.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Thanks.

~Fletch~
Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

It doesn't sound like you did anything I had suggested, but in any event:
"Agree. No dealer. If bumper is just scratched (even thouh it had a dent) it is an easy repair. Fender can be repaired, talk to a few shops, might not have to repaint the entire fender thus avoiding inevitable color match issues with driver door. Do your research, check with clean quality shops doing high end cars."

Not knowing what they did paint wise I can only speculate; and although I've done quite a bit of base and cc I don't do it as a profession. Since it sounds like this matte area runs up the full length of the hood it seems like they painted the entire fender rather than just blending back from the repair. If they did paint the entire fender what is it like along the vertical area of the door adjacent to the fender? Anything similar there? You'll need to ask them how they did the repair and yes have them correct the work (it is definitely not right). What you might just have on the hood is clear coat blend. If so it will just require sanding with 2500# or 3000# and rotary buffed. (entire hood will likely need to be rotary buffed (no orbital) to match "no orange peel" finish. I'd be surprised if the dealer does this routinely especially after how they delivered their work to you on this repair.

You don't need to trade the car, besides you'd lose significant $$$ doing that. The work can be done correctly; I've seenLexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc.repairs in silvers, champagne, white and black metallicsand you cannot tell there was a repair; but these aren't repaired at dealerships.

Don't worry about it; it will get corrected; only thing is, I know I wasn't the only one who said don't bring it to a dealer and I specifically said "Do your research, check with clean quality shops doing high end cars." ...not sure why you just didn't do this. Just the same, I hope all gets taken care of for ya.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Try using a clay bar on the hood.

ORIGINAL: Fletch

Well, I'll give you all a little update. I decided to take it to the dealership to get fixed -one, because I was not paying for it, and two, they have a reputable service department and body shop. They quoted me a price of $1500 which included repairing (not replacing) the front fender and bumper as well as replacing the headlight, turnsignal and radiator mount.

I picked it up today, and I was suprised. It really looked great. They did an excellent job pulling out the front fender dent and getting all the sheet metal gaps right. The front bumper was warped from being pushed in, but it too was pulled out and evened out. The paint even looked great...in the parking lot under direct sun. Once I brought it home and pulled it in the garage, I looked across the hood (was not damaged at all in the accident) and where it meets the fender, about 3-4in. inward is cloudy - running the entire length of the hood When I run my hand over it, there is a definite difference between the rest of the hood, and where the cloudiness starts - it is rougher and "dull" feeling. Almost like the feeling of a matte finish. I am not happy.

I'm afraid to wash it, wax it or buff it because it's new paint. I can't tell if it's left over residue or if it just wasn't buffed out enough. I seem to think that they did what some of you said - that they blended the fender paint with the hood.

Do any of you know anything about paint? Is this a common occurance? Easy to fix?

They aren't open until Monday. I do have a warranty on the work though. Therefore, I'm going to insist that they get it right.

~Fletch~
Old 06-08-2007, 11:24 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Ordinarily yeah, but in this case do not make any attempt to correct it; if you do anything, the dealer may try to say you messed it up... "don't touch......." ...think ya better listen this time...
Old 06-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

It doesn't sound like you did anything I had suggested, but in any event:

Don't worry about it; it will get corrected; only thing is, I know I wasn't the only one who said don't bring it to a dealer and I specifically said "Do your research, check with clean quality shops doing high end cars." ...not sure why you just didn't do this. Just the same, I hope all gets taken care of for ya.
With all due respect, I don't know you from the next guy and there is plenty of "advice" given out on these forums that should be taken with a grain of salt. That aside, I do appreciate you taking the time to help me out and give me some direction. A good shop is a good shop, whether it be at a dealership or in some guy's backyard garage. I bought the car from this place, and they have been around for a long, long time with a very good reputation. They have a large service center and body shop with a parking lot full of cars waiting to get in. I never expected that I would have problems - who would? I could have gone into a "high end" shop, and came out with the same deal. Call me sentimental, I'd rather have a Ford shop work on my Mustang anyway.

Hind sight is 20/20..blah blah...but I'm hoping the fix is not a big deal like you said. More of just an inconvience.

And to the dude who told me to sell my car...that's rediculous. This car is a daily driver. It's going to get nicks and scratches (and if you're lucky, a dent or two in it's lifetime). I bet that I could find some imperfections on your car too. In fact, I hope that keeps you up tonight.

~Fletch~
Old 06-09-2007, 12:09 AM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fairlane292

Ordinarily yeah, but in this case do not make any attempt to correct it; if you do anything, the dealer may try to say you messed it up... "don't touch......." ...think ya better listen this time...
Agreed. I wetted a microfiber towel earlier just to make sure that it wasn't a water stain. Other than that, I'm not touching it until I call the shop on Monday.

~Fletch~
Old 06-09-2007, 12:33 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I understand ya on the advice thing. I'm just more inclined to do the homework/research and then decide. It's amazing what you will learn about differing techniques tothe samebody/paint repair.I'veseen and heard of way too many problems with dealership body work and frankly the way I've seen employees rushing around with customer cars is very unsettling. I dread needing service/warranty work as the odds of getting the car back with a new issue (a scratch, ding, interior scuff or tear, whatever)are too high for my liking. After the sale is made, things change.

Anyway, if your paint looks right on from the side in daylight tomorrow you are 99% there. The hood should not be an issue; don't hesitate to ask them what that matte finish area is and what they plan to do about it. You are the paying customer and entitled to a properly done repair. Best ofluck on Monday!!

Quick Reply: Driveway Fender Bender - UPDATE