Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Belt on a S197?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 11:57 AM
Kdw

Default Short Belt on a S197?

I haven't heard of any body doing this on a s197 at the track and I was wondering has anybody done this since it was common on the fox body style to remove your power steering, smog pump, and air conditioner to free up some hp with a short belt.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:49 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Short Belt on a S197?

we had a lot more room to get our hands in on a fox
Old 06-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Ive been watching this post and am quite surprised nobody else here has looked into this avenue of freeing up HP for when you go to the track.Your talking about 5mins & you free up another 5-8RWHP?I guess I will look into it at my local race shops.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

That's because some of us need power steering and such
Old 06-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

If you read my post I said,"for when you go to the track".On topic again now.I found out that when the a/c is off there is little to no parasitic drag on that pulley & you would gain a little off bypassing the powersteering.This is all stuff we did to our cars in the past & it still applies to todays cars.Your not gonna gain alot of HP from this but when your trying to get every pony possible, this is a method.Im looking for a belt.I will post when I find one or can't find one.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:29 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

I did read your post. Look at my pic - does it look like I drag race? Changing the belt on these is not a "5 minute" job anyway.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Okay,,,,maybe 15min then if you take your time.Ive taken mine off to do the Steeda UDP's.It took less then 15min to remove the belt.Im not sure why you want to get into a debate but if you think running a short belt is not a good idea then fine ,dont do it.Don't keep prodding my post just because I made sure you understood my original post was for when you go to thetrack.And yeah I see your pic & have read many post from you on other threads.You seem tome to have someexpierance on racing.What kind Im not sure.Your pic looks like road track racing(hence your need for power steering?)not 1/4 mile which is all I care about.Two different worlds.But anyways like I said in the previous post.I will let everyone know if & when I find a short belt.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

It's not a debate and it's not that hard. Why do you need to go to a race shop? Measure the length and buy the right belt. I happen to know plenty about drag racing. I have had several mustangs in the past. I also was on a NHRA Stock and Super Stock team. Whether it would free up h.p. is obvious. Whether it is worth the hassle and expense in the tighter confines of this car is what is debateable. On a car that already has udp's I don't believe it's quite that much anyway. On a street car I personally think it's silly. So you pick up a tenth at the track. What have you proved?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

I can see your a long winded kind of guy!LOL!J/K...I went to a race shop to see if anyone else has done this and what(if any)dyno results there was.Thats why I went to a race shop!Everybody plays with/treats there car differntly.You have full blown race fanatics,you have race orientated people(myself included),minor performance upgrade people & stock class people.If you are a "full blown race fanatic" or a "race orientated" person a tenth means ALOT!It could mean the differance between 12's & 11's!If YOU think it's silly for street cars then that's cool.But some people will want to do it & that's cool too.Again JMO.........

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

It's not a debate and it's not that hard. Why do you need to go to a race shop? Measure the length and buy the right belt. I happen to know plenty about drag racing. I have had several mustangs in the past. I also was on a NHRA Stock and Super Stock team. Whether it would free up h.p. is obvious. Whether it is worth the hassle and expense in the tighter confines of this car is what is debateable. On a car that already has udp's I don't believe it's quite that much anyway. On a street car I personally think it's silly. So you pick up a tenth at the track. What have you proved?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM
fordfanboy
I ♥ Acer

It's really not worth the trouble IMO for what you'd get. I highly doubt you would gain a .10 from it.

There are some better tricks out there to get extra performance from belts. One of the biggies most of the big shops in the magazines do with their s/c cars is to run the larger cobra crank pulley. You can get up to 2 psi more on the same size pulley doing it. Those are tips that shave time down the 1320'.

If you absoutely wanted the ***** out best free up, then I would think a cog set-up would be best on a s/c.

Can you do it and free up a little - yes. Is it worth it - No...IMO.

If you are looking to shave time, then exhaust all of your tuning options first. For the money, the ***** best way to drop time at the track is to run race gas and be able to give your car a lot more timing. Timing = HP pure and simple.

That's why most drag racers run a street tune and a race tune. They usually run up to 1/2 second faster between the two tunes simply based on the octane and timing changes in the tune.

That's where I would conentrate first for shaving time with your current mods.

Quick Reply: Short Belt on a S197?