Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood catching wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Humphrey99

Default Hood catching wind

My '07 GT seems to catch a lot of wind under the hood. It really shakes, especially on the drivers side, toward the front corner. If I am headed into the wind, it does it very noticeably at Intersate speeds. If Icrank it up to 100+, it shakes pretty bad. I backed the rubber bumpers out as far as I thought I could without the hood being higher than the fender all of the time, but that didn't seem to help very much.

I searched andfound an old thread about this and some people were having the same issue to varying degrees. The only solutions brought about then, short of a new hood style, were hood pins and/or hood vents. Just wondering if other people are still seeing this problem and if any new ideas have since come up to remedy this problem?

__________________________________________________ ________________
'07 GT - Manual, Vista Blue, GT appearance pkg, Roush qtr window louvers
Soon to have C&L cai and SCT2 Brenspeed tune
Old 06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
mightymouse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hood catching wind

it seems to me that all late model mustang hoods do this. I had an 04 v6 that did the same thing..
Old 06-04-2007, 04:02 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

My 07 GT is ridiculous, the first couple of weeks I kept pulling over swearing that the drivers side corner was going to pop up. I have learned to "deal with it". I ordered a cervini kit last week and I am looking forward to discarding the stock hood. Hoping the heat extracter hood I ordered will not do that.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Have you checked the rubber hood stoppers/bumpers?
When that started a year or so ago, I found one was really off and another was slightly low - just turned themuntil they met the hood good andproblem was gone.
Of course then I put on the cowl and pins a few months later anyway
Old 06-04-2007, 04:55 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

i just noticed how bad this problem was on a short road trip from orlando to jacksonville.. i was actually really nervous.. hopping that the hood wouldnt pop up on me..

starting to think about hood pins..

Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 PM
07SCGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PonyGT2005

Have you checked the rubber hood stoppers/bumpers?
Yeah that was the first thing I checked, I fixed the passenger side no problem I adjusted the driver side stop fully out then fully insame thing no matter what. This is surprising to me because when I rotated all the way CCW the hood falls well below the quarter panel, on test drives it still pops up just as bad.Tt's only the drivers side that catches wind, the passenger is fine now.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

mine did the exact same thing... i put the stoppers as high as possible while making sure the hood wasnt above the fenders... and it stopped... its a pain in the *** to close the hood... but i only crack it once in a while...
Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
mvarshochi
1st Gear Member

i have the eleanor hood and it happens 2 me 2. very scary!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 PM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

I have 2007 Shelby GT which has the Shelby hood scoop with 8 mounting screws and hood pins and the hood shaking is not evident up to 100 mph. I haven't gone higher than that. I did adjust the pins so that I need a slight pressure on the hood to remove them, but I did that to keep the pins from rattling.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

There are actually four adjustable hood supports in the front. The outer two should be adjusted to align the hood to the fenders. The inner two can be adjusted to insure that the hood-to-latch play is minimzed. If all four adjusters are set right and the latch is tight, the hood shouldn't be flopping around. Mine has never had this problem, although I had the opposite condition where the hood wouldn't close worth a damn so I had to lower the inner two adjusters slightly to allow the latch to mate more easily. Maybe you might want to address this as a warranty issue if the dealer has a competent bodyshop that can properly adjust your hood.

Quick Reply: Hood catching wind