Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 05 gt

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM
shawnandjessica

Default Thinking about a 05 gt

Im in the market for either a 03-04 350z or a 05 mustang gt. These are the only two cars Im interested in and these years are in my price range. I have already researched Z's and was wondering what to look for such as problems with a 05 mt mustang gt. I have been reading on this forum and have heard about noisy manual trannys and noisy interior pieces. Also is there a big difference in speed such as 0-60 and 1/4 between auto and manual 05 gt's
Old 06-04-2007, 04:39 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Thinking about a 05 gt

I was thinking about a Z when I bought my 05 GT and have not looked back since. Stock for stock the Mustang is a far superior product and the mustang mods up far better IMO.

Since you are going with a used model you'll need to do the usual diligence. Other than my clutch going out at 12k miles (which I was planning to replace anyway) and the stupid Skipper 500, I've been very happy with this car.

If you are looking at peak 0-60 times go with a stick.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
shawnandjessica

Have you had any problem with drivetain noise at all? In the 1/4 mile is the auto just as fast as a manual? Anything else you know that I should look or ask about when looking at them just let me know.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I have not had any trouble with my drivetrain or any part of my car. Might be 'cause for the first time I bought the extended warranty.

You might also include the '06 in your search. Many who purchased a GT in early 05 had to pull strings to do so and then paid sticker and/or market adjustment. Last check the '05 GT market in my area was lean.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:01 PM
2005StangGT
2nd Gear Member

Make sure it doesn't leak lol...a lot of them have issues with a leak on the passenger side that allows water to collect in the floor pan. Mine has it...thought the dealer had fixed it the first time, but after over 24 hrs of steady rain this weekend it was a little damp under the carpet again...nothing like the first time where there was literally water sloshing around, but still wet...back it goes on Thursday..other than that I love the car! Mine's an auto btw.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:25 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

The drivetrain is a l'il bit more noisy than your typical passenger car (two piece drive shaft, somewhat clunky transmission) but all in all I found it just fine when my car was stock....now I have no inside panels, carpetetc to buffer me from the noise so I hear everything

Margarita Girl has a point about the '06 vs '05....we were searching for a used '05 - '07 for my daughter and the '05s are pretty lean around here too...that is under 30k miles (which was as high mileage as I was willing to look). There are quite a few 2006 GTs around but the prices are higher.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 PM
shawnandjessica

Was the noisy tranny and drivetrain just a 05 gt issue or is it all of theh 05-07 gt's? I had a 5 speed car before and love the fun of going out and tearing it up and now I have a auto truck and love how I can just sit back and relax and not have to worry about anything. Now I have to decide between the two so I dont regret it.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 AM
dsavage

I was considering the 350 myself. I drove the vert and the hardtop. Nice car,but as far as problems go, it had too many that turned me away. The main issue was a tire wear problem that nissan has not solved and the set of tires for that car are very pricey. As far as the transmission, I picked up a great deal on a 06 vert with an auto. I have always had a manual and sometimes I regret having an auto when I am driving on back country roads and can not downshift into corners.The auto bothered me until I got a sct tune from B a m a chips and it is like a different car. As stock,the trans is lazy to shift and also shifts very smooth.With the tune it downshifts quickly and chirps tires in 2nd and 3rd. I haven't looked back at my choice over the 350,the mustang is a blast and the aftermarket parts are more plentiful=cheap horsepower and lots of it available. By the way,I went from a 2.8 bmw z3 to the mustang. The z-3 was a go-cart in the corners but the mustang always puts a bigger smile on my face.The stang is a bigger car but handles great. I drive alot for business and have put 37000 on mine already,no problems at all.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:48 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I was looking for a lightly used sports car2 months ago. I had a nice Jaguar, but it was very boring and unreliable.. I had had enough.

I test drove an 05 350Z, and 04 S2000s and Audi TTs.

The second I started up the Mustang GT I KNEW it was the one. Bought it at 5500 miles. I haven't looked back!

As for reliability, the previous owner had killed the clutch so I had to pay to get that replaced. Im now at 10,000 miles and haven't had any problems whatsoever... Or even felt anything different. Tranny is kinda noisy, but you're beating on it with a 300HP V8 so I'm not sure how much luxury you're expecting in that area.

Anyways, I love mine.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:50 AM
downriverT
3rd Gear Member

american muscle or foreign rice(forgive me I'm a detroiter)

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 05 gt