Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear bumper shaking at HIGH SPEEDS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 04:58 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

Default rear bumper shaking at HIGH SPEEDS

hey guys..

i know there is alot of talk about the hoods shaking alot on the S197's.. but my friend pointed out to me after gettin off the interstate to get gas, that he thought my rear bumper was gunna fly off.. he said it was shaking that bad..

and honestly.. i can recall washing it and what not, and noticing how loose it was at the bottom towards the middle.. but i dont think there is anything there to support it..

any one with this problem, should i take it in, thanks..

ps.. i have the stock bumper

-GTstang
Old 06-04-2007, 05:28 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

Default RE: rear bumper shaking at HIGH SPEEDS

have you checked the bolts?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

if i recall.. i dont remember there being any kind of bracing, or bolt or, any type of support on that area.. i mean the car is only 2 months old.. if its loose after that amount of time.. my God.. but u never know.. i will look under there this afternoon..

thanks
-GTstang
Old 06-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

hey guys..

i know there is alot of talk about the hoods shaking alot on the S197's.. but my friend pointed out to me after gettin off the interstate to get gas, that he thought my rear bumper was gunna fly off.. he said it was shaking that bad..

and honestly.. i can recall washing it and what not, and noticing how loose it was at the bottom towards the middle.. but i dont think there is anything there to support it..

any one with this problem, should i take it in, thanks..

ps.. i have the stock bumper

-GTstang
Go to the dealership parts department, have them bring up a parts explosion of your car's rear bumper assembly. See if they can give you a copy of it and compare to what you see under your cars bumper. Probably missing a bracket or something. My wife's 06 Escape was missing some rear bumper support that wasn't noticed until she got rearended and they replaced the bumper.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

The lower edge is somewhat loosely held in place by three tabs on the bumper that are folded up and connect to the back body of the car with some plastic push on fasteners. The lower edge of the bumper can flop around some.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: 8178A

The lower edge is somewhat loosely held in place by three tabs on the bumper that are folded up and connect to the back body of the car with some plastic push on fasteners. The lower edge of the bumper can flop around some.
+1....I saw 3 mustang asses on my way down to memphis and none of them had bumpers that were moving that much....
Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Lees07GT
2nd Gear Member

When I first got my car, I was screwing around with the rear license plate and noticed how floppy the lower part of thebumperwas. I thought this had to be wrong, so I drove back to the dealer and felt of several stangs on the lot and they were all "floppy". I have never seen one flopping around on the highway, though.....
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I notice mine is VERY flexible when I wash it. Sometimes I wonder how much it must move at freeway speeds... Doesnt seem like anything is holding it on.

ABout to install my panhard rod (yay) so ill be looking around the bumper to see whats up...
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Maybe you guys should just slow down.....
Old 06-04-2007, 11:54 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

does your car have the little rubber 'airdam' under the gastank? I read something long ago about that being added early in the 06 builds to help prevent the bumper fluttering and breaking the tabs off...

Quick Reply: rear bumper shaking at HIGH SPEEDS