Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will new headers throw an error code?

Old 06-06-2007, 12:40 AM
silvel2edge
1st Gear Member

Default Will new headers throw an error code?

Hi there, I was talking to someone about getting exhaust for my mustang and they recommended headers, but said if I put headers on my 07 mustang, pretty much all the brands will throw an error code and will put my car in a "limp" mode and I won't really be able to drive it until I take it to a dyno tuner.

Does anyone know if this is true? My buddy is able to install headers and a cat-back system for me and he never really heard of that, though he hasn't worked on any of the mustangs lately so he's not sure. If thats, the case should I just have him install just the cat-back and have a shop with a dyno install the headers?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 AM
lumpman

Default RE: Will new headers throw an error code?

I don't know about an 07, but I have an 05 GT with FRPP Shorty Headers, Flowmasters Axle Back, and a K&N CAI. Not even a hint of a code. CEL has never come on. I don't have a tune either. I'm no expert, but you should be ok.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

shorties wont do **** for you....the LT will probably through a code since they move the O2 sensor....
Old 06-06-2007, 01:51 AM
WhiteStallion06
4th Gear Member

I put my LTs on then rode around a week without a new tune and never got one , but i dont know some people say you do,
Old 06-06-2007, 01:58 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

It also depends on if you delete the cats or not..my o/r pipe would cause the CEL after about 50 miles.....i turned it off with the tuner shortly after though.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:06 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

I have LT headers off road (no cats)with all 4 sensors installed andto my surprise I got no codes, this is with the FFRR SC tune
Old 06-06-2007, 02:30 AM
DOBERMAN
1st Gear Member

I get a code that pops up every now and then but it does not cause the car to go into limp mode. The headers are worth having to clear a code once in awhile.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

I put my headers on last weds or maybe the week b4 i cant remember and it drove fine. LTs with o/r x-pipe and i never plugged the back 2 sensors up. I drove the car fine to my house and then i put a tuner on it. I have been driving like that for a while but tonight a have a check engine light on for the first time. Tomorrow ill find out if its the exhuast or not but you should be fine.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:56 AM
C_yru_s99
1st Gear Member

I just installed some long tube headers... The headers dont cause the error code its the 02 sensors. Not the point[8D]. If you dont like the check engine light then get it shut off at a tuner shop (turn off the 02 sensors). I am going thru or fri for a custom tune and dyno. NO limp mode .. car runs like a bat out of hell, guess we willsee at the end of this weak.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 PM
silvel2edge
1st Gear Member

So is it reasonably safe to have my friend install the headers, and then just take it to a tuner afterwards? Also, if I want to keep it street legal for now... is headers and cat-back ok to get?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will new headers throw an error code?