Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCRATCHED MUSTANG

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:23 PM
mustangfreak417
2nd Gear Member

Default SCRATCHED MUSTANG

the other day i was backing out of my driveway and accidently backed into my friends 00 v6 - he never parks there and it was dark but i take complete responsibility for the occurence. i have a scratch down the side of my car that my dad thinks is able to be buffed out- now heres my question for you all- what is the best wax to get scratches out with??? the scratch is not thatdeep and should easily buff out.please help i need my baby lookin beautiful again!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 PM
laredotexas
1st Gear Member

Default RE: SCRATCHED MUSTANG

Take it to a body shop for a profecional finish, if their is anything that can be done it would just be the best choice to be done by a profecional if their is nothing that can be done they would also be avail to tell you .. just my 2 cents..
Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Audioi
2nd Gear Member

Do the nail test first. If your fingernail gets lost in it then its time for paint. Sometimes you can fill it in then use the 3M buffing compound (light) and a machine (or a really fast arm). The heat helps blend the molecules of the clear back. I have had success and I have had blunders. I think it depends on the planets and how they are aligned................
Good luck
Mike
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
2006_BLACK_GT
1st Gear Member

I had a scratch down the side of my car from a kid on a bike. It was just in the clear, not the color. I bought the Griot's Garage polisher kit (same as the PC, but includes a ton of stuff)and removed it after about 3 passes. This thing is great. The kit is not cheap, about $200, but you will love the way your car looks after you clay bar it, polish out all of the scratches, and wax it with their polisher. My car is black and had a million swirls in the hood also, I used thier micro-polish #3 that comes with the kit and the car looks better than new! Plan on spending about 8 hours to do the entire process over the whole car, but it is soooooo worth it.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
NewRoushPonyOwner
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006_BLACK_GT

I had a scratch down the side of my car from a kid on a bike. It was just in the clear, not the color. I bought the Griot's Garage polisher kit (same as the PC, but includes a ton of stuff)and removed it after about 3 passes. This thing is great. The kit is not cheap, about $200, but you will love the way your car looks after you clay bar it, polish out all of the scratches, and wax it with their polisher. My car is black and had a million swirls in the hood also, I used thier micro-polish #3 that comes with the kit and the car looks better than new! Plan on spending about 8 hours to do the entire process over the whole car, but it is soooooo worth it.
Wow, that is some really good information! I need to file that away for later, my 05 just came back from the body shop after a fender bender and they haven't fixed the paint anywhere near what I was hoping for. Maybe I'll try to fix it myself instead of having them butcher it even more. Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
mustangfreak417
2nd Gear Member

yea black is a pain in the @ss to keep clean, and tends to show more scratchesbut when itscleanno other color looks better
Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

What I typically do for smaller scratches (shallow enough not to catch the fingernail like stated above) is rubbing compound, followed up with polishing compound, then buffing and waxing. Takes a LOT of elbow grease though.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM
theresa
4th Gear Member

As I posted last week, I got a "chip" in my passenger side door. But this was down past the paint and it was showing white ! I took it to the dealer body shop and they kept it all night. Went to pick it up last night, what a sh*t job !!! The car is torch red. I could still see 2 white dots where they tried to fill, and it still had a divit where it should of been covered. I told him that it sucked and I am not happy with it. He said he would do it again. He is charging me $125.00. For that I think I should of got a better job then that.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Eleanor06
3rd Gear Member

Theresa-What did they do..just whip out the touch up paint and dab some on or something? $125 for a $7 bottle of touch up paint.I would be very mad also,stay on their @ss till they get it right.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:26 PM
theresa
4th Gear Member

The chip was about an 1/8 of a inch from top to bottom. I could still see where it was white.
He had the b*lls to say " Oh...I thought it was a good job !". Well.....DO IT OVER !
I wonder what it looks like now. I miss my car. lol I get sick when I go into my empty garage....
I'm not takin' it till it IS right !

Quick Reply: SCRATCHED MUSTANG