Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deciding between modding V6 or trading for GT.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 PM
hotarri

Default Deciding between modding V6 or trading for GT.

I am considering trading in my 07 V6 Pony for a GT but wanted to make sure that was the better decision over modding my V6.

For about 5k installed I can add a S/C and around 600 bucks I can switch to a 8.8" rear with LSD.

It will cost me about 8k to upgrade to a GT including the loss from trade-in.

So for around 6k for the S/C, 8.8" rear and axle back exhaust with 2k left over to do handling mods I'm looking at the same price as trading it in for a GT.

Are there other differences between the GT and V6 I'm not taking into consideration?

Which is the better option?
Old 06-15-2007, 08:01 PM
V6MustangKnight
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Deciding between modding V6 or trading for GT.

hmmm, tough choice. if ur not gonna be ****ing around all over the place theres no point in getting a gt, just mod ur 6er with the super charger and hit the 300rwhp mark, once u do that u can take on gt's and slightly modded gt's. ur not gonna see many cars pushing over 300 unless ur planning on looking for m6's, srt's, gto's....i say stick with ur sixer. u got the money to put it there with a gt
Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

trade for the GT then mod it
Old 06-15-2007, 08:07 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

No matter how many mods you make to a V-6, it'll still be a V-6 when it comes time to sell. Not saying a 6er is a bad choice, but if you have to do all that work(and down time) and void your warranty(and have a car that's worth less because most people are weary of buying modded cars), to match a GT performance-wise, I'd get a GT and maintain the warranty.
Yes, I own a GT, but you gotta see, what you see as a loss right now, won't be a loss 5 years from now. The GT will always be worth more blue book wise at either trade-in time, or when selling out right. The mods you're contemplating are fine if you're worried about higher insurance cost for a GT, but think about the long run. A S/C'd V-6 will lose it's warranty, get worse mpg and won't be as valuable over time. The stress of that S/C will remind you how weak the V-6 tranny is(if it's a stick-shift). Just my 2 cents........................
Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Leos06gtLL
3rd Gear Member

Get a GT you'll be ahead of the game and start with a 13sce car i am sure you can get a good deal on a used one or wait for 0%APR on the new ones.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Puckhog407
2nd Gear Member

Tough choice ... I can see, from a couple of the posts from GT guys the point of going with the GT. It makes sense on several levels. I also know that from modding my V6, it's made the car feel more like mine ... as opposed to buying a car with most everything I wanted done already on it or in it. I'm in it long term though with my car. If I were thinking I'd upgrade in a 5 or 6 years, I'd go with the GT but if you plan on owning the car for the long haul, you might as well mod your V6 and have money left to do other things. Either way, you're going to be driving a Mustang so it's a win-win.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:21 PM
hotarri

Thanks for the input, I was leaning in the GT direction because of the greater residual value and warranty concerns.

I'll continue driving my stock V6 and trade for a GT during a financing promotion to minimize the loss from the trade in. Especially since the interest rate on my V6 loan is not great.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

So far, the V6 bashing has been next to nothing - as a Mod I think that's great.

IF you decide you wanna GT, don't trade your V6. Sell it outright to a 3rd party rather than take the depreciation hit on dealer trade-in value. But I say you should mod your 4.0L if you plan to keep it.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

the residual value may be less but you also paid less for that V-6 than a GT. Plus the insurance costs are less.

If you mod the six it will feel more like yours rather than just buying a GT. Plus by supercharging it you are going to have something very few people have. And think of the look on peoples faces when they realize how fast your six is. Better yet...Go turbo and be even faster...lol
Old 06-15-2007, 08:51 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

Get the GT and mod it !! its a no-brainer question ..!!!

Quick Reply: Deciding between modding V6 or trading for GT.