Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

TPMS Update... (properly fixed)

Old 06-18-2007, 05:59 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default TPMS Update... (properly fixed)

All 2007 and newer cars will have this system and if you change your wheels without putting your oldsensors back on, you will get a warning light and sound from your computer. Mine said TPMS failure and/or Tire Pressure Low.

After a lot of research andterrible advice and servicefrom Discount Tire, I finally got everything fixed properly at a local tire & wheel shop.

To transfer your old sensors to your new wheels you will have to purchase universal bands AND brackets from American Muscle.Com. It comes out to about 60 bucks. Instead of 200 from Ford. You take the old brackets off of your old sensors and mount them to the NEW American Muscle brackets. 3M tape needs to be applied to the bracket before it is placed on the rim and then you tighten the band around the rim and then lock the thread with Loc-tite (for extrasecurity measures). The metal band looks exactly like what we put around our intake hoses and sh*t. The shop also put a littleduct-tape around part of the band for extra-extra security measures. He then went ahead and re-balanced my tires (which did not come properly balanced from Discount Tire to begin with) so it's good I went through this stupid process. If I were you people, I would get this checked out as well.

Once all the bands are secured to the rim and the tires are mounted, filled with air and re-balanced....the warningmessage will dissapear by itself (if you used the original sensors). If you didn'tuse your original sensors, then you have to go to Ford after the above process and have them recalibrateyour computer system for your new sensors.

Bottom line is,my sensors are in my new rims and tightly secured (even more than how they were from the factory) and mywheels are PROPERLY balanced.If you haveANY questionsabout TPMS, let me know because I've been through hell and back and know more thanmost dealers and service stations. Take care!

PS: The sensors last from 5-10 years....so you will eventually have to do this again.....[&o]

G
Old 06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
trailblazer

Default RE: TPMS Update... (properly fixed)

Thanks for the information on all that.I am going through this now and just ordered bands from American Muscle after reading your post.What size 3m tape did you use? I appriciate you sharing your problems so others dont have the same ones.I am going from 17's to 18's.Ialready had Ford bands ordered so I hope they will send them back when they come in.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

just a fyi, if you go the ford route you can have them "activate" the sensors when you pick them up. i did and never got a code on my new rims
Old 06-18-2007, 09:35 PM
Jens07stang
1st Gear Member

I just got some prices from American Muscle today and they are way lower than when I originallyinquired around, so please tell me if this sounds right to you. I want to use my original 18" wheels as snow tires and have a second set to switch back and forth as needed seasonally, and I want each set to have the sensor system. When I first started inquiring about this, I decided it wasn't an option for my 07 -too expensive. TodayAmerican Musclesaid a kit for each tire is around $16 (so that matches what you said) and that I'd have to have the Ford dealer install them. I don't know what that fee would be, but picture it being a one time cost of mounting, balancing and installing the sensors. Are you saying I'd have to have my computer matched to the different sensors each time I switch them?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:25 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Not sure of the exact size...butit was pretty wide and I just cut the access pieces with a box cutter while the tape was on the bracket. I also heated it up a lil with a blow-dryer for some extra sticky power.

ORIGINAL: trailblazer

Thanks for the information on all that.I am going through this now and just ordered bands from American Muscle after reading your post.What size 3m tape did you use? I appriciate you sharing your problems so others dont have the same ones.I am going from 17's to 18's.Ialready had Ford bands ordered so I hope they will send them back when they come in.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:30 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

When I get my winter wheels / tires, I'm not getting the sensors. I'll just live w/ the warning light / resetfor 4 months. I've been driving for 37 years w/out them and it hasn't been a problem so far...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:37 PM
2007GT/CS
3rd Gear Member

I'm just waiting for Taco Bill to post the handsomely photo-illustrated instructions on how to take apart your dash and color over the warning light with a black sharpie marker.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: TPMS Update...r (properly fixed)

Hi Jen,

It will be 16 dollars for the bands and brackets only (per wheel), American Muscle does not include the sensors. You will then have to buy new sensors for your new wheels since you're using the original sensors in the snow wheels. You might be able to find aftermarket sensorsfor around 50 or 60 bucks (plus $16x4 for new bands and brackets ONLY if they fit the aftermarket sensors - if not, you have to find bands and brackets that work with your new system) or you can pay $120 per wheel for Ford's senser and band kit - which I would never do. Every time you switch your wheels, you will have to have your computer recalibrated so that it can recognize which sensors are in.

I don't know what I would do in your situationbecause I don't drive my car in the snow or ice (I only use one set of wheels). I'm thinking I would just deal with the error message for the winter and then drive error free in the summer. I would try to avoid the dealer at all costs though. I'm not sure which aftermarket company carries a system that is compatible with our computer.

Also, if they make an aftermarket sensor that attaches to the valve stem, then I would definitely get thatone before the banded one. It's SOOOOOO much easier to install the valve and you don't have to remove the tire. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

G

ORIGINAL: Jens07stang

I just got some prices from American Muscle today and they are way lower than when I originallyinquired around, so please tell me if this sounds right to you. I want to use my original 18" wheels as snow tires and have a second set to switch back and forth as needed seasonally, and I want each set to have the sensor system. When I first started inquiring about this, I decided it wasn't an option for my 07 -too expensive. TodayAmerican Musclesaid a kit for each tire is around $16 (so that matches what you said) and that I'd have to have the Ford dealer install them. I don't know what that fee would be, but picture it being a one time cost of mounting, balancing and installing the sensors. Are you saying I'd have to have my computer matched to the different sensors each time I switch them?
Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
chronism
2nd Gear Member

How often will the warning light pop up? What is the reset procedure? I really doon't want to have to take my car to Ford and have them mess around in my computer when I have a custom tune it it.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:57 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Not sure if it has it's own computer or if it messes with the ECU. I'm thinking it has it's own computer and does not bother the WHOLE ECU, etc... (again not sure though). It's really not that bothersome, it just beeps once when you start the car and then it remains on the message center until you press the button to reset. The only sucky part is that it does it everytime you start the car.

I also wanted to fix it because you never know what lawsuits can come out of these things if you don't have them properly mounted....ya' know? Better to be safe than sorry.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS Update... (properly fixed)

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.